Why do people re-watch movies?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I must of watched Brave Heart 6 times...and now once every time it's on cable.

Liar Liar with Jim Carry still cracks me up.

I don't know..re live those magical hollywood moments?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Basically, I see things that I don't see the first few times. I learn a lot more about the style of film when I rewatch a movie that I already know.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Why do people listen to the same music over? :p

Nothing wrong with repeats. Some diehard fans (not the movie) may watch a movie hundreds of times and know the screenplay by heart. :Q

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I personally enjoy re-watching *certain* movies, TV episodes, etc. I just find it enjoyable, and that's all that matters to me. Why do I find it enjoyable? Check out some of the posts, above. :p I forget a lot of humor that is in movies, or missed details... so it's frequently better for me during subsequent viewings than the first time around.

<edit> Nevermind the above; see also, Platypus's response. </edit>

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Why do people listen to the same music over? :p

Nothing wrong with repeats. Some diehard fans (not the movie) may watch a movie hundreds of times and know the screenplay by heart. :Q

Sometimes my girlfriend recites "Christine" to me when the powers out.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
same reason as with video games, why do some ppl play video games that repeat the same task over and over and over?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I've never understood this.

Comedy - you know all of the jokes.
Drama - you know where the climax is and how it's resolved.
Horror - similar to drama, and you know where the "make you jump" parts are.
Action - you've seen all the cool special effects already, heard all the one liners, etc.

Why re-watch, unless you've forgotten?

Are you really this stupid? Or is this some kind of joke i'm missing?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Half the film is the story, the other half is the cinematography and the acting... if that wasn't important they'd hire me and you to star in films instead of dropping tens of millions on real actors.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
I watched Back to the Future when I was really little, loved it, mostly understood the plot and what not. Rewatching it again these days and I can appreciate jokes such as "I'm sure in 1985 plutonium is available at every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by." When I was little I didn't even know that was supposed to be a joke, now I find it pretty funny. It's like watching a new movie within one you've already seen, and it makes it even better.

Pretty much the same happened here... I loved that movie as a youngen and it's one of the few movies I could watch over and over again. They need to release it in HD :Q!

Some comedies are meant to be watch more than one time... I find that mainly British comedies fit this as for some reason, British humor is never funny the first time. Most of the time, it's never funny :p.

Pretty much I'll watch a movie twice if it's an enjoyable movie. I actually have the same stance as you OP and that I can't watch most movies more than once, because they're simply not that great.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
? Maybe they liked it and want to see it again? Anything worth doing is worth doing multiple times.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Mainly to relive certain scenes. Every few months I put in Magnolia, and watch half the movie (around the breakdowns) to the end for a few days straight. I can probably recite most of the lines (and I do:)), but I still plan on rewatching it. Simpsons and King of the Hill, same thing; nice filler/background noise too.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I mostly agree with you joshsquall. Most movies are a massive waste of time the first viewing, and the second viewing is just painful. I'll never buy a movie for that reason. However, there are a small handful of movies that I will rewatch.

I'll watch either Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or A Cristmas Story around Christmas time. Sure, I know the plots and the jokes, etc. But it just puts me in the holiday spirit to watch one.

I watched Monty Pythons The Holy Grail again last night. It had been several years so I forgot many jokes, and laughed again. Heck, I was laughing so hard just putting in the DVD as I thought about the rabbit scene. My GF thought I was crazy laughing before the movie. Also, she had never seen it, so it is great to cuddle up and I can pay more attention to her while a movie is going on.

Like others have said above, sometimes you'll miss something the first time through. You need to watch Airplane at least a half dozen times to catch all the jokes in the background. I didn't understand the Mayo Clinic joke the first time when I was young (they call a clinic and there are jars of Mayo all over, but I didn't realize that a Mayo Clinic was a real thing back when I was a kid).

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv
I usually forget most of the movie after 6 month to a year, so its like watching a new movie.

Yep. You can always see something new!

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I am studying for Die Hard trivia night at the Mellow Mushroom. I have watched Die Hard, Die Harder, and Die Hard with a Vengeance two times each. I need to go see Live Free or Die Hard today or tomorrow.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Do you people really think re-watching movies is comparable to listening to music more than once? :confused: Music and movies entertain in entirely different ways.

I rewatch some movies, but I've found that I don't rewatch my DVDs often enough. Thus I stopped buying DVD movies 2 or 3 years ago. I do still buy TV shows on DVD, because I do rewatch those - every night before I go to bed I watch two episodes of a show. I'm up to ~70 seasons of various shows on DVD.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I agree. This is why I DO NOT BUY DVDs. What is the point? I'll never, ever, re-watch it. There are a few movies that I may but for the most part, the trash that comes out these days, I'd never re-watch it, ever. That's why I just use Netflix. Borrow, watch, return, and that's that.