Why do people need 32GB or 64GB on their PHONE?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
What exactly are people doing where they need so much space?

I have an LG G2 with 16GB and I've never come close to using that up.
I pull off all my pics onto my desktop SSD (or post to cloud)
Are people downloading videos? mp3s?

I don't get it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Games.

Movies.

Music.

Maps.

32GB is my minimum requirement, 16GB is far too little nowadays. And you emphasized phone, but making calls is just one of the many things these devices do. They are much more than just phones, it's a handheld computer.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Why would you store movies on your phone? Streaming is too big?
Actually, what kind of nitwit watches MOVIES on a 5" screen? Can't afford a TV?

I never play games.

Music? Haven't people heard of Spotify !??!

Maps? Stupid.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I never play games.

Maps? Stupid.

And this thread is over. It's great that you spend your entire life bathed in cellular service, means you aren't there to bother those of us who don't.

Viper GTS

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
For me, video taken with the phone is the single biggest culprit. Being able to take high def video with my phone is a double-edged sword. The quality is (relatively) nice, but it eats up space. And I don't pull pics or video off my phone particularly often. If I were better about cleanup, I'm sure I could make due with less.

I'm a fairly light app user though. I'm sure that games are a huge factor for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Graze

Nov 27, 2012

I never play games.

Maps? Stupid.

Insult Removed

This was one of 3 personal insults/attacks in this thread. Consider this is a standing warning for all; such attacks will not be tolerated. Either find a way to have a conversation without them, or do not post.

Moderator TheStu

Last edited by a moderator:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Game data, podcasts, audiobooks, offline maps, VR applications, custom ringtones, pictures, music that isn't on Spotify, video that isn't on Netflix.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I never play games.

Maps? Stupid.

Hey insult removed listen... new phones nowadays take these beautiful 4k videos and large 15-20mpix pics. Games also dont take up the 5-10 megs like they did back in they day, they're a few hundred mb to a gig in size. Your 16gig phone has around 12gigs of free space, a few games and videos and you have 0 space left, capiche?

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Always folks who think their specific uses of technology must be universal - hopefully it's more a matter of being young than stupid.

How about NYC where lots of folks spend 1-2 hours a day on transportation that has no cellular or wifi service. Brilliant idea to carry your TV with you. A single high quality movie rip is 4-5GB and I like to move 4-5 movies onto my phone every month so I have stuff to watch. It'd be a pain to remember to do this one movie at a time.

10 minutes of 1080p video of your kid's recital will take a couple gigs easy. Considering a 16GB phone probably has 5-6GB available, you limit yourself hugely to what you can record and then must remember to constantly move them off your phone.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What exactly are people doing where they need so much space?

I have an LG G2 with 16GB and I've never come close to using that up.
I pull off all my pics onto my desktop SSD (or post to cloud)
Are people downloading videos? mp3s?

I don't get it.

Because most people have capped cellular plans that limit how much they can stream away from home. Because they don't always want to delete local copies of photos. Because games and other media-rich apps can chew up hundreds of megabytes each, or occasionally gigabytes.

I'm a good example. My 64GB iPhone has 56GB of usable space (the OS and formatting chew up a few gigs), and over half of that is full. About 10GB of that is just devoted to apps, and 3.2GB of it is for photos. If I had a 16GB phone, I'd already be out of real-world storage just through those two aspects alone. The extra space lets me store documents (3.5GB worth) and local music (16GB) that wouldn't be options otherwise, and I still have room if I need more apps or other local media.

Please remember: you shouldn't assume that your own requirements are the same as everyone else's. There are many places (even in highly developed countries) where fast cellular data and WiFi aren't guaranteed, and many users who either prefer local copies or just have so much stuff that 16GB won't hold it all. I'm reminded of how some PC gamers wonder how anyone could ever buy a computer without expansion -- they forget that the majority of users never upgrade.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

I never play games.

Maps? Stupid.

Really? Some of us have limited data plans. Some of us have long commutes through areas with spotty cell service. I have a streaming music service - and I still keep as much music on my phone as possible, because often throughout my day, I don't have strong service, and I don't want to use up all of my data anyway. Same with maps - if I'm in the middle of nowhere and lost, there's a good chance I won't have service, and I'd like my maps to work.

I don't play games, maybe you don't either, but a lot of people do. And they take up a lot of space. Similarly no, I don't watch movies or TV on my phone, but plenty of people do. I bet they have a TV at home. That doesn't mean they don't want to watch TV when they're not at home.

So it sounds like YOU don't need 32 GB or 64 GB on your phone. That's fine, don't get a bigger one then. Many others do actually need that space. Why is this upsetting to you? Why are you incapable of accepting that others have different needs than yours?

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Because most people have capped cellular plans that limit how much they can stream away from home. Because they don't always want to delete local copies of photos./snip

This actually makes the most sense in this thread.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This actually makes the most sense in this thread.

I don't see why apps and games aren't a valid excuse.

I mean, many applications can ONLY be installed to the phone. Pulling applications from some cloud is a pipe dream. Some of my games have over 1GB of game data. Just a handful of those types of games installed and its full.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
to a gig in size

I wish KOTOR were only a GB...

I think it's taking up around 2.4-2.5GB just for that game.

Hearthstone is another 1GB+ game.

I have a 64GB phone with about 33GB free. So I COULD live with a 32GB phone, but it would be close.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I got the 128gig model because without an SD card that's what I need. I like music, and don't like streaming. The quality sucks and results in too much data usage.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Insult removed

In case anyone missed it above, or has already forgotten... any further insults/attacks in this thread will result in infractions.

Moderator TheStu

Oct 30, 2013
I have a 32GB but never use more than 10GB really.

I stream video, podcasts, music. I even upload my photos to Google photos and delete the local files.

I have 20GB data allowance so its a non issue.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

I never play games.

Maps? Stupid.

Yes I can afford a TV, multiple actually. I also have a projector, multiple desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones even (work issued iPhone to go with my Nexus 6P). Guess which of those devices I have with me when I'm not at home?

Your comparison only makes sense if you put your 5" phone all the way next to your TV and tried to watch stuff on it. Think for a minute, your phone is much closer to your eyes than your TV is. The size is actually comparable.

Both my work and personal phones have unlimited data plans. I still store movies on my phone. Why? Because it uses much less battery to play a local file than to stream, and I can dictate the quality of the video beforehand and never worry about it degrading or the video buffering.

I store offline maps for my home and other areas that I frequent. Why? Because I can. I do not like to be totally dependant on cell service.

I uploaded all my music to Google Music, but I still sync stuff to my device. Why? Because I can, and because it uses less battery and I'm once again not totally reliant on cell service.

I only play a handful of games. Each one is easily over 1GB, so the storage requirements add up quick. You don't play games? That's awesome, it must feel fantastic to be satisfied with 16GB of internal storage. Your need for smaller storage capacity will allow you to save money when buying a new phone. For the rest of us, we all have our individual needs and try not to assume that everyone else has to do things the way we do.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2013
Yes I can afford a TV, multiple actually. I also have a projector, multiple desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones even (work issued iPhone to go with my Nexus 6P). Guess which of those devices I have with me when I'm not at home?

Your comparison only makes sense if you put your 5" phone all the way next to your TV and tried to watch stuff on it. Think for a minute, your phone is much closer to your eyes than your TV is. The size is actually comparable.

Both my work and personal phones have unlimited data plans. I still store movies on my phone. Why? Because it uses much less battery to play a local file than to stream, and I can dictate the quality of the video beforehand and never worry about it degrading or the video buffering.

I store offline maps for my home and other areas that I frequent? Why? Because I can. I do not like to be totally dependant on cell service.

I uploaded all my music to Google Music, but I still sync stuff to my device? Why? Because I can, and because it uses less battery and I'm once again not totally reliant on cell service.

I only play a handful of games. Each one is easily over 1GB, so the storage requirements add up quick. You don't play games? That's awesome, it must feel fantastic to be satisfied with 16GB of internal storage. Your need for smaller storage capacity will allow you to save money when buying a new phone. For the rest of us, we all have our individual needs and try not to assume that everyone else has to do things the way we do.

That guy had to be trolling. He may aswell go buy a £9.99 dumbphone.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
To use your own words, what kind of nitwit assumes their use case is the only plausible one, OP?

Honestly, this should just be closed, it's a stupid topic asked in a fully ignorant manner.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
OMG, OP is too good to pass up.
Sorry mods, I have to:

For people who have a life. Those who don't have zero pictures, podcasts, music...etc, and complains about others using a few gigs of storage.