Why do people look down upon those in the fast food industry?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Afterall, somebodys got to make those frys. And admit it, you would miss your Whataburger or BelGrande Nachos Supreme if no one was there to make it.

So dont laugh when someone tells you they work at Mickey Dees or Taco Bell. Have a little class and laugh behind their back. :D

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i like all workers that help me
people that make pie are awesome!

those people in the twinkie factory ROCK!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I did my 3 year stint there (usually 3-6 hours/week). It paid the bills while I got one of my degrees. But, I didn't make a career of it. I do make fun of my former classmates who are still in the fast food. Why? Because they could have done better with themselves. Leave the fast food jobs to the teens/college students.

I do agree that not everyone can have well-paying highly eduated jobs. But, we are far from that point now. We can still do well to have fewer adults working those fast food jobs and more adults in more productive careers.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
I did my 3 year stint there (usually 3-6 hours/week). It paid the bills while I got one of my degrees. But, I didn't make a career of it. I do make fun of my former classmates who are still in the fast food. Why? Because they could have done better with themselves. Leave the fast food jobs to the teens/college students.

I do agree that not everyone can have well-paying highly eduated jobs. But, we are far from that point now. We can still do well to have fewer adults working those fast food jobs and more adults in more productive careers.

I agree. I worked at three different fast food places, while I was working a valet job and going to college. But then, Ive had about nineteen jobs prior to spending the last 15 years at the same bank.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
If someone's paying thier way through school: great
If someone's retired and is doing it just to make ends meet or as something to do: excellent
If someone's made that a career: they need to apply themselves a bit more

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dullard

Who are you to judge?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Who are you to judge?
I am Dullard. I judge. I am to judge others.

If you would also like a job as a judge, contact me, and I can help you get your credentials.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Believe it or not, not everyone is clinching for every almighty dollar out there. Or make their job the focus of their life. We're all gonna die in 50-60 years anyways, does it really matter all that much in the end?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Afterall, somebodys got to make those frys. And admit it, you would miss your Whataburger or BelGrande Nachos Supreme if no one was there to make it.

So dont laugh when someone tells you they work at Mickey Dees or Taco Bell. Have a little class and laugh behind their back. :D

Topic Title: Why do people look down upon those in the fast food industry?

Especially since it is the last manufacturing left in the U.S.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
If someone's retired and is doing it just to make ends meet or as something to do: excellent

same with working at walmart, target etc.

my dad is retired. but he is getting bored with going on vacations (how ? i would love to be able to go as much as he does) and staying home. he is thinking of working walmart for like 10 hours a week.

he is hopeing to get on at lowe's or such for a discount heh

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I did about 6 months worth of "fast food" work when I hit 16. It wasn't very pleasant. My sympathy goes out to fast food employees.

To the OP, Why laugh behind their back? Why laugh at them at all?
So they probably made some bad decisions and are paying the price, or perhaps their previous employer made bad decisions and went out of business or laid off a bunch of people, so they took what they could get. Or perhaps they are an immigrant and they are still working on improving their skills in English. Most of them probably hate their job, but they are there because it's what was accessible to them at the time.

Do you laugh at custodians because they clean up shiat?
Do you laugh at day laborers because they do backbreaking work for little pay?

I don't get it. Why laugh behind anyone's back based only upon whatever line of work they are in? That just seems to be a bit judgmental.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth

same with working at walmart, target etc.

my dad is retired. but he is getting bored with going on vacations (how ? i would love to be able to go as much as he does) and staying home. he is thinking of working walmart for like 10 hours a week.

he is hopeing to get on at lowe's or such for a discount heh

And thats the thing, an honest buck is an honest buck. If people want to work for a living, more power to them.

I know a cousin who worked most of his life at Sears (hes in his 50s). He got tired of the low incentive people he had to work with and for and went over to Lowes on part commission. Hes alot happier now. But he just likes retail jobs.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
I did about 6 months worth of "fast food" work when I hit 16. It wasn't very pleasant. My sympathy goes out to fast food employees.

So they probably made some bad decisions and are paying the price, or perhaps their previous employer made bad decisions and went out of business or laid off a bunch of people, so they took what they could get. Or perhaps they are an immigrant and they are still working on improving their skills in English. Most of them probably hate their job, but they are there because it's what was accessible to them at the time.

I don't get it. Why laugh behind anyone's back based only upon whatever line of work they are in? That just seems to be a bit judgmental.

That suggestion was for people so inclined, if they must do so at all, and for some it comes quite natural. I am not one of those people, having held those positions before.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

That suggestion was for people so inclined, if they must do so at all, and for some it comes quite natural. I am not one of those people, having held those positions before.

Ahh, thank you for your response.
Cheers!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't look down on people in the fast food industry. I worked at Subway for 2 years and I worked at a convenience store off and on for even longer. I'm a "regular" at pretty much every store and restaurant I go to. They treat me well and I'm nice to them.

There is this one obnoxious lady at Wawa who acts like I kicked her dog every time I go in there... I don't know what the hell her deal is. I first encountered her while she was working at Kmart, and it was the same deal there.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Why is it that people should 'go for a better' job? Maybe they are perfectly happy where they are and with their co-workers?

Not everyone is as driven as others and want to progress their career.

Koing

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
i work in fast food, and while i was hesitant to take the job, there weren't exactly a lot of places offering a management position to someone of my limited experience. it's been about 18 months now, and there still aren't a lot of places you can get in as management unless you have 3+ years of experience. so while i pay my dues and work fast food, i know it will pay off in the future. regardless of whether i decide to stay within fast food, or move on to some other management opportunity.

also, many of my friends that went to grad school have jobs that pay about the same as what i'm making now.