Why do people like The Terminator so much?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I agree with this.

Also, I think T1 only really resonates with people that got to see it in the theater when it came out. It was a pretty amazing movie at the time but obviously special effects have come a long way since 1984. Still, I just watched T1 again a couple of weeks ago and I think it holds up amazingly well for a 30+ year old movie.

T2 is awesome too though.

(Plus, T1 has boobies in it. The rest don't so they are automatically inferior.)

Yeah, I saw The Terminator in the theater, just like how I saw Star Wars in the theater.

I also saw the Pixar short Luxo Jr. in the theatre for the first time in 1986.

All of those blew me away, revelations for their time.

The original Robocop was also awesome. I also saw that in the theatre. The remake was really stupid though.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Yeah, I saw The Terminator in the theater, just like how I saw Star Wars in the theater.

I also saw the Pixar short Luxo Jr. in the theatre for the first time in 1986.

All of those blew me away, revelations for their time.

We must be of a similar age (old).

I remember watching Star Wars in the theater, pretty much slack-jawed the whole time at how amazing it was. Terminator had a similar effect.

It has been awhile since I have had that feeling. Maybe the first LOTR movie.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
^^^ The opening act of WALL-e was an epiphany.

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
no it isn't

I might consider it one of the best action films ever made, but I don't think T2 would win many awards for film making in general.

Still, I'll take T2 over most critically acclaimed films (Lost In Translation? ... blech) so what do I know?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I might consider it one of the best action films ever made, but I don't think T2 would win many awards for film making in general.

Agreed, as Ichnisian said as well.

When people say such things about these types of movies, it tells me that they really only watch one type of movie.

Still, I'll take T2 over most critically acclaimed films (Lost In Translation? ... blech) so what do I know?

What? I wouldn't! :D

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
T2 was the first time I noticed the high budget overhyped summer blockbuster. Everyone was talking about the movie so much that by the time it came out I think I knew every part of the story. While it wasn't a bad movie I just didn't (and still don't) think it was anything really ground breaking. It had really good effects for it's time, but I'm one of those effects don't make a movie type. The ones that followed T2 were milking the same dried out tit and kept getting worse. I see they're making another one and I'm sure this one will be even worse.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
T2 was the first time I noticed the high budget overhyped summer blockbuster. Everyone was talking about the movie so much that by the time it came out I think I knew every part of the story. While it wasn't a bad movie I just didn't (and still don't) think it was anything really ground breaking. It had really good effects for it's time, but I'm one of those effects don't make a movie type. The ones that followed T2 were milking the same dried out tit and kept getting worse. I see they're making another one and I'm sure this one will be even worse.

A lot of people seem to forget that Cameron showcased the tech from T2, 3 years earlier, with The Abyss.

The only thing "new and amazing" about T2 was the total amount of the same type of effects.

Also, The Abyss was a much better film, overall.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
A lot of people seem to forget that Cameron showcased the tech from T2, 3 years earlier, with The Abyss.

The only thing "new and amazing" about T2 was the total amount of the same type of effects.

Agreed!

KT

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

Yeah, Abyss was a great movie. I didn't expect much going into that one and was pleasantly surprised.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
The ending to Abyss kinda soured it for me

ancient-aliens-th_0.jpg

I was like "Giant alien ship in a ocean trench? fuck off."

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
^^^ Spoiler tags would be helpful.

The Abyss is a pretty good movie. It used that special effect more sparingly too, appropriate for the movie. Not perfect either though.

P.S. I just read that Edward Furlong had no formal acting experience.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
For a young kid actor, I think Edward Furlong did fine. The amount of hate he usually gets seems out of proportion... And I'm not just being nice because I've seen some shitty acting by kids -- can't blame them much due to age.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
He said he will be baak, so people keep watching the subsequent installments, to figure out what baak looks like...

Yes, I just made fun of someone's English accent, you got a problem with that? :colbert:

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
For a young kid actor, I think Edward Furlong did fine. The amount of hate he usually gets seems out of proportion... And I'm not just being nice because I've seen some shitty acting by kids -- can't blame them much due to age.
He did OK. He didn't do great though. Thus, I think it detracts from the enjoyment of the movie.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
He did OK. He didn't do great though. Thus, I think it detracts from the enjoyment of the movie.

Which parts bug you? I'm genuinely curious so I know what to look for next time I watch it.

My usual complaints with kid actors have to do with deadpan delivery or lack of range. Pre-puberty voice usually hides a lot of that -- it's worst on TV shows when kids hit a growth spurt and voice change.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is brilliant.

yeah, that is great. My nephew recently found out about terminator somehow, and has been asking me questions. He's familiar with Star Trek TNG, so has some exposure to Data and certain concepts of AI and emotions, robots, etc.

He hasn't seen any of the terminator stuff, so wants to know what it is about--he's 8, and not about to be shown any of those.

He can't quite understand why the terminators want to kill humans. I think he's starting to understand the difference between Skynet and terminators, but he can't quite compute why Skynet would identify humans as its greatest threat. All I can do is explain that Skynet calculates its odds of survival after it achieves awareness, and perceives humans as its greatest threat. Beyond that, I've got nothing else that would really make sense.

nephew: "So, who created Skynet?"
me: "The humans!"
nephew: :hmm:
me: :\

I think this cartoon was written for my nephew. :D

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
T1 had a great tight story with Arnie nicely cast as the meanie.

T2 had path breaking special effects with a nice story.

T3 sucked until the end where it redeemed itself somewhat.

T4 was okay, but not really a classic Terminator flick. You will be surprised that I actually consider T4 an okay flick.

T5 --- I will be curious to see what Arnold pulls off. Perhaps they could make him a damaged Android which restricts itself to providing intelligence and strategy. Arnie's beef fest will not work anymore.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Which parts bug you? I'm genuinely curious so I know what to look for next time I watch it.

My usual complaints with kid actors have to do with deadpan delivery or lack of range. Pre-puberty voice usually hides a lot of that -- it's worst on TV shows when kids hit a growth spurt and voice change.

Now that you mentioned it, the part where him and T2 was at a phone booth and he's just learned his foster parents are dead, then he screamed for help... Well watch it and tell me if you don't want to slap the crap out of him.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

He comes across just as a bratty kid, without the toughness nor the brains to fit the role he's destined for. He doesn't grow either during the movie. He seems the same at the beginning and the end, except for being less bratty cuz he's getting shot at. And yeah, lack of range.

However, like I said before, I think it's probably not just the actor. I think part of the reason is the character itself, as written.

As an aside, the Arnie thumbs up irked me to no end. Cheese. Molten cheese.

The worst kid role in recent memory for me though is Anakin Skywalker. But there I blame George Lucas above all.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

I loved Abyss. I watched it a month or so ago while I was recovering from surgery. I thought it didn't ring the same bells for me but was still a much better movie than a lot of crap out today. The wife hated it but she's 10 years younger than me and was expecting nothing but boom boom boom action from it cause it was Cameron. It moved too slow for her I guess. Kids today..

^^^ Spoiler tags would be helpful.

The Abyss is a pretty good movie. It used that special effect more sparingly too, appropriate for the movie. Not perfect either though.

P.S. I just read that Edward Furlong had no formal acting experience.

Does a movie that came out 26 years ago really need spoiler tags? Also they used less of the effect cause it was a lot more expensive. I will also say that it looked much better in T2 but they had a few years to work on it. I also think T2 had a much bigger budget too, so that helped.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
I liked T movies when I was very little, so did robocop etc. But when I look on that now (24 now), I think like WTF is this really what I liked? I'm glad I don't do anymore. The unlimited cruelty and violence in those movies is something I gladly don't crave for.