Why do people like soft/smooth toilet paper?

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
It makes no sense whatsoever. It is prone to tearing, it does not clean well and it is like 5x the price.

The whole point of toilet paper is to have a bit of friction so it can clean things away. I'm not talking 50 grit sandpaper here, but some reasonable amount of toughness.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
If you know of a good one that meets your criteria, please share.

They recently changed my favorite brand, and it's as bad as using Kleenex.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I use Brawny paper towels, because it's the manliest.

But seriously, I buy the Costco brand TP because it's good quality and affordable. And you get lots of sheets per roll.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I have a bidet. The soft stuff is just to soak up any wetness that the air dryer didn't take care of.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I base my purchases on flushability. Some brands (Scott) don't flush well and tend to clog the toilet.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I have a bidet. The soft stuff is just to soak up any wetness that the air dryer didn't take care of.

I agree bidets are more clean. However it turns going to the restroom into a big event that takes a long time. It makes an in-n-out of 3 mins impossible.

Personally I use the grocery store private label brand. Things like Charmin bear paper are disgusting. With that you are basically not wiping away but mushing around.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
This cheap stuff strikes just the right balance for me:

freebies2deals-angel-soft.jpg

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
I buy the Costco brand TP because it's good quality and affordable. And you get lots of sheets per roll.

This, Its really good quality and you get a ton for like 15 bucks. I haven't bought any in a year or something.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
It makes no sense whatsoever. It is prone to tearing, it does not clean well and it is like 5x the price.

The whole point of toilet paper is to have a bit of friction so it can clean things away. I'm not talking 50 grit sandpaper here, but some reasonable amount of toughness.

Agree, I'm not trying to please my hand with softness, I'm tying to clean my ass!, soft tissue is useless unless smearing crap all over your ass is fun for you..

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I use Brawny paper towels, because it's the manliest.

But seriously, I buy the Costco brand TP because it's good quality and affordable. And you get lots of sheets per roll.

You want manly?

pic4.jpg

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Agreed, OP.

I prefer the kind of "commercial" TP you find in public restrooms. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't break up and leave debris when in use. There is no need for super soft toilet paper, and I think the desire for it is mostly a response conditioned by marketing. Does your asshole HURT if you don't use soft toilet paper? No, it doesn't.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'm a vegan so I never need to wipe my ass. All the kale and granola pops out smoothly with no mess - 100% natural!