Why do people drink "cheap beer"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNemesis

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: TheNemesis
Also, I said normally like 20 times in my post for a reason. I understand that some people just like the taste of beer, or like drinking beer and they can get by with a cheap beer they do. Those are not the people that I'm refering to, I was mainly refering to the people in their early twenties, or god forbid their teens. I know a lot of older people that drink key light like mad just because, and I never ask them why because I know why. Now I'm asking the other group, why and I have gotten the answer. once again you are a moron.

Your question has such an obvious answer that I don't understand why you would ask it. People buy cheap beer to get drunk. Beer is cheaper than hard alcohol. Also, lots of people have brand loyalty with beer(many suggested this to you).

How old are you?

I'm not really asking if they buy cheap beer to get drunk, but why they do it versus vodka or something. It's a simple question and now I understand why they drink cheap beer versus say vodka. Get over it.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Millennium
Also, I said normally like 20 times in my post for a reason. I understand that some people just like the taste of beer, or like drinking beer and they can get by with a cheap beer they do. Those are not the people that I'm refering to, I was mainly refering to the people in their early twenties, or god forbid their teens. I know a lot of older people that drink key light like mad just because, and I never ask them why because I know why. Now I'm asking the other group, why and I have gotten the answer. once again you are a moron.

Your question has such an obvious answer that I don't understand why you would ask it. People buy cheap beer to get drunk. Beer is cheaper than hard alcohol. Also, lots of people have brand loyalty with beer(many suggested this to you).

How old are you?

I'm not really asking if they buy cheap beer to get drunk, but why they do it versus vodka or something. It's a simple question and now I understand why they drink cheap beer versus say vodka. Get over it.

What am I supposed to get over? That you have a stick in your ass? Ok.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Because its CHEAP. simple answer

if your havin a party and you and teh peopel there are gonna get drunk. do you want it to cost like 2$ a beer for "good beer" of like .30$ for "Cheap Beer"

i can get 55 beers for 22.25$ at my local distributer. and thatd Bud Light. not the cheepest. still good great deal. its light so you dont get fat and its economicial

cant really go wrong

Goldfish

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2001
High Life is where it's at. Tastes pretty darn good, just a bit more expensive than Beast and cheaper than Natty,

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
I actually like Budweiser a lot better than many more expensive beers. Plus I think there may actually be some liver-benefit since the alcohol is less concentrated in beer than in mixed drinks. When you drink beer, you're drinking ~95% water. I'm not sure on the proportion for mixed drinks, but IIRC one 8oz mixed drink is supposed to contain the same amount of alcohol as a 12oz beer.... but I guess it would really depend on what you're drinking for the mixed drink. I bet that the "typical" figure is just quoted is gotten using 80 proof liquor. And if you're drinking shots..... geeze that's just hard on your system.

I haven't touched hard liquor in a looong time. I much prefer beer now. Two years ago, I only drank vodka.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: bizmark
I actually like Budweiser a lot better than many more expensive beers. Plus I think there may actually be some liver-benefit since the alcohol is less concentrated in beer than in mixed drinks. When you drink beer, you're drinking ~95% water. I'm not sure on the proportion for mixed drinks, but IIRC one 8oz mixed drink is supposed to contain the same amount of alcohol as a 12oz beer.... but I guess it would really depend on what you're drinking for the mixed drink. I bet that the "typical" figure is just quoted is gotten using 80 proof liquor. And if you're drinking shots..... geeze that's just hard on your system.

I haven't touched hard liquor in a looong time. I much prefer beer now. Two years ago, I only drank vodka.

I dont think so. Your liver only processes what is in your blood. Your stomach has to handle the higher concentration of alcohol/volume. Once its in your bloodstream, and IIRC it is absorbed through your stomach at a maximum fixed rate, then your liver has to process it. So, it might be better to drink beer as far as how happy your stomach ends up, and it might be better to be ingesting extra water with your beer so as to minimize the hangover, but I think your liver is agnostic to what form the alcohol enters your stomach as.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
and if I want to have a "cheap" beer I'll get some Miller High Life

christ almighty that stuff is worse than pisswater. nattie light is better than that.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Mookow
I dont think so. Your liver only processes what is in your blood. Your stomach has to handle the higher concentration of alcohol/volume. Once its in your bloodstream, and IIRC it is absorbed through your stomach at a maximum fixed rate, then your liver has to process it. So, it might be better to drink beer as far as how happy your stomach ends up, and it might be better to be ingesting extra water with your beer so as to minimize the hangover, but I think your liver is agnostic to what form the alcohol enters your stomach as.

yeah, I see what you mean, but wouldn't the excess of water kind of slow down the process of the liver getting rid of the alcohol? I don't know, you're probably right. I thought your kidneys filtered your blood? :confused:

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: bizmark
Originally posted by: Mookow

yeah, I see what you mean, but wouldn't the excess of water kind of slow down the process of the liver getting rid of the alcohol? I don't know, you're probably right. I thought your kidneys filtered your blood? :confused:

No, your liver (provided it is functioning normally) will process alcohol at the same rate, whether you have a BAL of .1% or .01%

Your kidneys filter your blood of normal body waste products in the blood stream, but your liver handles many chemicals and their breakdown, as is the case with alcohol.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
You're obviously not a beer drinker. I think guiness tastes like sh!t...to each his own. But still, NatLite is friggen gross

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
who says we actually drink the cheap stuff? ;)

stev0 <- looks at his beer bong in the corner :D

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
and if I want to have a "cheap" beer I'll get some Miller High Life

christ almighty that stuff is worse than pisswater. nattie light is better than that.

yes.. natty light is better... i might go as far as saying the beast light is better than high life lite :Q

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
A lot of people that are broke drink cheap beer to get drunk, but why? Is it not cheaper to buy a handle of vodka or segram seven? Personally I cannot stand vodka, but seven with a ginger ale chaser is a very cheap, effective, and non-offensive way to drink. On the other hand, I see most really cheap beers such as Natty Ice etc... as a somewhat cheap, very long and drawn out process, and I think it's nasty. I'll stick to harder alcohol to just get drunk, and if I want to have a "cheap" beer I'll get some Miller High Life...But please, explain yourselves.

Tonight, I want to relax and catch a buzz: Guiness, Saranac. (taste matters)
Tonight, I want to forget my name: Milwakee's Best Ice. (taste does not matter)

Being from an engineering school, we pretty much figured out the best $BLING$ to alcohol content ratio. Milwakee's Best Ice wins by a good margin. We proudly called that one Deisel. normal Milwakees Best (the other favorite for some unknown reason) was kindly regarded to as unleaded. Those were the days :)

I should add that cheap liquor was also usually involved inthose "blind nights", but one can not get trashed on Vodka alone. It'smore fun to mix beer and shots and play drinking games, etc....