why do people buy AIW cards???

Apr 17, 2003
i dont get it, as soon as you upgrade the video card, there goes the tv tuner. i dont understand why people dont just buy a seperate tv tuner so it can last longer...

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
Because many people don't change video cards as often as they change their socks?? :confused:

Apr 17, 2003
regardless of how often they change it, the loss the tv tuner as soon as they upgrade. it isnt like a new tuner comes out everyday that would make someone wanna upgrade so they can buy one and forget about it for years and years

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The AIW cards have extra features like pausing and rewinding live TV, and other things. I see it as one card that does it all. Also, you can't have a driver conflict between the video and TV cards when there's only one card.

EDIT: Not to mention the Shuttle SFF PCs that have limited space.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Yeah and if the like AIW's then they will probably go for the new AIW when they upgrade and ';m certain that AIW have better resale value than bog standard ATI cards....2nd hand buyers with older PC's will love the TV in PC concept.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: shady06
i dont get it, as soon as you upgrade the video card, there goes the tv tuner. i dont understand why people dont just buy a seperate tv tuner so it can last longer...

I agree. I have only owned one AIW card, a 9700pro AIW. I didn't have it long before i regretted the purchase, partly because of the limited aftermarket cooling solutions that would fit the card because of the tv tuner. I sold it and bought a 9800pro and seperate tuner card. The better resale value doesn't make up for the extra initial investment. As far as the extra features, I'm not aware of any that a seperate tv tuner card wont' do, like the pvr functions, which are mainly software features anyway.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
i dont get it, as soon as you upgrade the video card, there goes the tv tuner

I don't get why people more people don't get AIW cards. They're only like $30 more than a regular pro now with a much larger feature set. If you want the fastest 9600 pro card, the AIW 9600 pro will be ATI's highest clocked 9600 pro also.

A seperate tuner card is more expensive and doesn't match the feature set or performance of the AIW cards. It takes up an extra PCI slot (or crappy USB) as well.

I have no trouble selling my older AIW cards for a premium either. They're still in demand for the 90% of the PC community that doesn't game. I have exactly 1 original AIW Radeon card left, I'll have no problem getting rid of it.