Why do most the people prefer their statesmen to be kings instead of servants?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I almost side with 420 on this one. They deserve no more protection than the rest of us, but the position deserves it and requires it. Free jets and free housing and free food for life and all that stuff, no! They're servants. They already get paid a ton. They get protection until their office terminates. That's how it's supposed to be.

No.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't get why we keep electing people to use our money to fund things like the Secret Service, and huge salaries for people who are supposed to be civil servants, especially since they're the ones making the law not us.

So basically, I'm asking: Why do some people like to spend their money making other people above the law?

Obama doesn't deserve anymore protection from possible murderers than anyone else does. If anything, he deserves less since he's a war criminal and a thief.

People actually voting for things like the Secret Service is what makes me think autocratic rule is 8 to 9 times out of ten better than a democracy (exceptions include Jefferson, Jackson, Cleveland, Warren G Harding and Coolidge about 9 elections out of 55), especially considering that Hitler and FDR were democratically elected (granted, Hitler didn't achieve a majority, but he still won a plurality). I would rather have Emperor Hirohito every day of the week than either one of them and I'd probably rather have Adolf Hitler than FDR who wasn't quite as democratically elected as FDR (I say not as democratically elected because FDR won a majority four times, Adolph Hitler a plurality once).

EDIT: No, I'm not an anti-semite. Keep in mind, anyone who likes FDR (in fact, I don't like Hitler, I just think he was less evil than FDR) could be considered racist against people of Japanese descent.

Really? You seriously believe this crap? Without even trying I can see a vast difference between FDR's interment of Japanese citizens after Pearl harbor and the Bataan Death march or the Rape of Nanking. You think systematically exterminating 6 million human beings is less evil than anything FDR did? Really?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I don't get why we keep electing people to use our money to fund things like the Secret Service, and huge salaries for people who are supposed to be civil servants, especially since they're the ones making the law not us.
They need protection because they are subject to mortal dangers. The cost of the secret service and their salaries are not high. I do not think the salaries of congressmen and the prez are high at all for what they do. Really, the salary for all elected officials is a pittance compared to the cost of funding even the smallest department under the executive. There are lots of congressmen who take a pay cut when they take office because they were successful lawyers or businessmen before they took office.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

So basically, I'm asking: Why do some people like to spend their money making other people above the law?

Obama doesn't deserve anymore protection from possible murderers than anyone else does. If anything, he deserves less since he's a war criminal and a thief.

People actually voting for things like the Secret Service is what makes me think autocratic rule is 8 to 9 times out of ten better than a democracy (exceptions include Jefferson, Jackson, Cleveland, Warren G Harding and Coolidge about 9 elections out of 55), especially considering that Hitler and FDR were democratically elected (granted, Hitler didn't achieve a majority, but he still won a plurality). I would rather have Emperor Hirohito every day of the week than either one of them and I'd probably rather have Adolf Hitler than FDR who wasn't quite as democratically elected as FDR (I say not as democratically elected because FDR won a majority four times, Adolph Hitler a plurality once).

EDIT: No, I'm not an anti-semite. Keep in mind, anyone who likes FDR (in fact, I don't like Hitler, I just think he was less evil than FDR) could be considered racist against people of Japanese descent.

Please, please, please put your energies into supporting, give money and knock on doors, candidates that support your agenda or even better run for office to champion what you consider to be important.

Instead of spending time on this forum beating the same horses, you could be leading the US into an utopia.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Really? You seriously believe this crap? Without even trying I can see a vast difference between FDR's interment of Japanese citizens after Pearl harbor and the Bataan Death march or the Rape of Nanking. You think systematically exterminating 6 million human beings is less evil than anything FDR did? Really?
If FDR could've done more he would've. There weren't 6 million people of Japanese descent in CA. A good portion of the 6 million people who Hitler had killed

FDR hated Jews too. He excluded blacks from Social Security benefits initially. He had the Federal Government and the military segregated.
Also, in addition to the internment camps over something he asked for, he would've dropped the bombs. Finally, he set up over 2,000 men to die at Pearl Harbor and then called it the day that would live in infamy like he didn't try to get it to happen.

His admin also had people jailed for disobeying price controls.

They need protection because they are subject to mortal dangers. The cost of the secret service and their salaries are not high. I do not think the salaries of congressmen and the prez are high at all for what they do. Really, the salary for all elected officials is a pittance compared to the cost of funding even the smallest department under the executive. There are lots of congressmen who take a pay cut when they take office because they were successful lawyers or businessmen before they took office.
Everyone is subject to mortal dangers.
Please, please, please put your energies into supporting, give money and knock on doors, candidates that support your agenda or even better run for office to champion what you consider to be important.

Instead of spending time on this forum beating the same horses, you could be leading the US into an utopia.
True. Thanks:) Although I have given money to Ron Paul's campaign as well as BJ Lawson's campaign and Campaign for Liberty as well as LvMI.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
If FDR could've done more he would've. There weren't 6 million people of Japanese descent in CA. A good portion of the 6 million people who Hitler had killed

FDR hated Jews too. He excluded blacks from Social Security benefits initially. He had the Federal Government and the military segregated.
Also, in addition to the internment camps over something he asked for, he would've dropped the bombs. Finally, he set up over 2,000 men to die at Pearl Harbor and then called it the day that would live in infamy like he didn't try to get it to happen.

Hated jews? So this FDR pushed to get Jews to safety in 1930s was actually some type of devious coverup on his part? I'm pretty sure it was another hero of the progressive movement, Woodrow Wilson, that re-segregated the military along with the civil service. Roosevelt did issue Executive Order 8802 to prohibit racial discrimination in the national defense industry. Again I guess just a devious feint on his part. As for the Pearl Harbor thing, that little conspiracy theory has been around for more decades than me and has yet to be proven. It is like the 1940's version of the truthers.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
It's not a conspiracy theory. The McCollum Memo was real. FDR refused to blow up a supply line that would've saved an estimated 750,000 jews, and he also actually stopped the assassination of Hitler.