Why do most Hollywood celebrities support Obama?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
^ you have a better explanation?? I'd love to hear it.

Originally posted by: Vic
I'd say they're pretty representative of urban dwellers in general, and especially on the west coast. I have not yet seen a single McCain yard sign here in Portland, but there's an Obama yard sign in front of every other house, even in the wealthiest neighborhoods. The issue is not even remotely as simple as who might raise whose taxes. The primary divide between Republicans and Democrats is rural and urban.

Down in the LA area, long-time Republican stronghold Orange county might go to McCain this year, but LA county will certainly go to Obama in a landslide. Kerry got ~64% there in 2004. I'd expect Obama to do better, and I also wouldn't be surprised if celebrity preferences lined up to a similar ratio.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
1) Lower intelligence
2) Entitlement mentality
3) Knowing that their skill set really doesn't bring much value to the world

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
I've often wondered the exact same thing. My guess is that, compared to corporate executives, actors just don't work that hard. Paying 50% taxes on your earning is a lot more painful when you've had to scrape and claw your way to the top than it is when someone just hands you millions of dollars to act in a movie.

That's just a guess though, I have no way of knowing.

This is total nonsense.

First, the rich, like highly-paid CEO's, don't pay 50% taxes on their income.

They pay the top bracket, which I think is 40%. Obama would probably raise it to 50%.
top marginal tax rate is 35%

In fact, the upper middle class pay more on a percentage than they do, because they're at about the same tax bracket but the ultra-rich have more tax deductions, breaks, write-offs, etc.

This is total nonsense. I agree that there are too many loopholes for the rich, but it is not to the point that they actually pay less taxes than middle or upper middle class earners. This may be true for a few exceptional cases, but not across the board.
its been shown repeatedly that the extremely rich pay a lower percentage in tax rate that the middle class, effective tax rate peaks somewhere in the 6 figure income range.

medicare, FICA, state income tax (CA is 9.3%), it comes pretty close to 50%.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
1) Lower intelligence
2) Entitlement mentality

You just keep going lower and lower. If a celebrity actor's skill set doesn't bring much value to the world, then how is it that they get paid what they do? Or are you saying that they require govt regulation to make sure they're paid less and toeing the appropriate political line?

As medicare and FICA aren't collected on income above $102k, this actually works against the argument that the rich pay more %-wise than the upper middle class.

Is there a reason that no one wants to address the likely reason that most celebrities are Democratic supporters is because most of LA is too?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Why do most Hollywood celebrities support Obama?

Why does the OP care? Unless he puts more value on their opinion...

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Most of them are crack heads, they have no clue what they are doing. Hollywood has always been the home left loons so they are just following traditions...

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Budmantom
They like Obama for his acting skills.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sadly though, I think that is the only major difference between the two "major" candidates.

Sure they talk different points, but darn if they dont vote the same way on the really important stuff.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
1) Lower intelligence
2) Entitlement mentality

You just keep going lower and lower. If a celebrity actor's skill set doesn't bring much value to the world, then how is it that they get paid what they do? Or are you saying that they require govt regulation to make sure they're paid less and toeing the appropriate political line?

As medicare and FICA aren't collected on income above $102k, this actually works against the argument that the rich pay more %-wise than the upper middle class.

Is there a reason that no one wants to address the likely reason that most celebrities are Democratic supporters is because most of LA is too?

/thread.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I've often wondered the exact same thing. My guess is that, compared to corporate executives, actors just don't work that hard. Paying 50% taxes on your earning is a lot more painful when you've had to scrape and claw your way to the top than it is when someone just hands you millions of dollars to act in a movie.

This is total nonsense.

First, the rich, like highly-paid CEO's, don't pay 50% taxes on their income. In fact, the upper middle class pay more on a percentage than they do, because they're at about the same tax bracket but the ultra-rich have more tax deductions, breaks, write-offs, etc.

Second, name me a single modern CEO who clawed and scraped their way from the bottom to the top.

Third, acting is a ruthless business. 99% of actors are unemployed and/or making nearly nothing. If pure unfettered all-or-nothing capitalism were applied to the rest of this country's industries as it is in show business, the people would have rebelled to communism decades ago.

I'm living proof.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
^ you have a better explanation?? I'd love to hear it.

I'd say they're pretty representative of urban dwellers in general, and especially on the west coast. I have not yet seen a single McCain yard sign here in Portland, but there's an Obama yard sign in front of every other house, even in the wealthiest neighborhoods. The issue is not even remotely as simple as who might raise whose taxes. The primary divide between Republicans and Democrats is rural and urban.

Down in the LA area, long-time Republican stronghold Orange county might go to McCain this year, but LA county will certainly go to Obama in a landslide. Kerry got ~64% there in 2004. I'd expect Obama to do better, and I also wouldn't be surprised if celebrity preferences lined up to a similar ratio.
If that is true Vic then explain to me why nearly every group of actors I have ever met any place in the country tends to be at least a little left wing.

I still say it is cultural in basis. Something about 'acting' makes one left wing.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
1) Lower intelligence
2) Entitlement mentality

Medicare has no cap neither does state income tax thanks for cherry picking FICA. Plus hollywood operates as a monopoly, it's near impossible to make movies in market economy fashion.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The Hollywood elite are an amusing bunch...they come down from their hilltop estates once every few months to throw money at liberal causes, and then go back to their self indulgent lifestyles.

Given the number of liberals in Hollywood, one would think that the city of LA would benefit from such a congregation of high income humanitarians and social do gooders.

Oh wait...LA has one of the worse wealth disparities in the nation...it is almost a medieval city, with the wealthy elite living in their hilltop citadels and the serf class existing simply to serve them...or at the very least clean their Jags.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
The Hollywood elite are an amusing bunch...they come down from their hilltop estates once every few months to throw money at liberal causes, and then go back to their self indulgent lifestyles.

Given the number of liberals in Hollywood, one would think that the city of LA would benefit from such a congregation of high income humanitarians and social do gooders.

Oh wait...LA has one of the worse wealth disparities in the nation...it is almost a medieval city, with the wealthy elite living in their hilltop citadels and the serf class existing simply to serve them...or at the very least clean their Jags.

How many movies do you see, how many cds do you buy - how many tv shows do you watch?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The subject in itself is false.
Hollywood has JUST AS MANY rich and wealthy that support republicans.
I would say its 50/50.
What caught your ear is probably Barbra Streisand. She makes news, so the news covers her.

What gets me is how Mccain (and we knew he would) makes a tag line out of Obama and hollywood rich, while Mccain can?t even remember the number of homes he owns, and McCain?s wife Cindy wears $300,000 worth of bling and garments at the GOP convention.

John Mccain.... WHAT A CROCK OF BS He does spew!!!!

Mccain and Palin make GW Bush/Cheney and Rove look like the good folks...
But some Americans will be fooled and vote for the GOP. SUCKERS!

But remember this, after 8 years of republicans, you don?t have much else left to lose anymore.
Your SS retirement, your healthcare and your butt. And Mccain will be after THEM too!

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
maybe because not everyone just thinks about themselves, but actually want to help others.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Another cult of personality "issue" brought to you by the McCain camp. This one is so old and trite it goes back to at least the McCarthy era. Heck, it may even predate McCain.

Any particular reason why the GOP talking points are so berift of any policy issues, and focus on the us versus them instead?

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003

Second, name me a single modern CEO who clawed and scraped their way from the bottom to the top.

Not that I disagree with you, but Muhtar Kent is one. He is my parents' neighbour in Turkey :)

"Following his military service, he moved with US$1,000 in the pocket to the United States, where he was accommodated by his uncle in New York City. Muhtar Kent found a job at The Coca-Cola Company through a newspaper ad. He toured the country in trucks to sell Coca-Cola, and thereby learned its distribution, marketing and logistics systems."

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
1) Lower intelligence
2) Entitlement mentality

Name 3 insulting things that have no merit, are totally opinion and have no facts at all to back them up... - Carmac the magnificent =)

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Getting back on topic...

I believe it has more to do with social issues more than anything else.

Look at the life styles of hollywood types: drugs, parties, multiple sexual partners. It is very permissive and 100% opposite of what the right wing conservatives would view as acceptable behavior.

Then you have the fact that in liberalism saying you care about something is as good as actually doing something. Look at all the liberals who salute Jimmy Carter for putting on a sweater and giving a speech about saving energy. One of my left leaning 60s era professors talked so highly about how "he cared."

Then you have a bunch of people who make a ton of money doing nothing of real consequences. Therefore, they embrace a leftist ideology based on 'caring' and 'helping' the less fortunate. They go to their little fund raisers and charity events and think that they are such wonderful people because they 'care' about the poor etc etc.

In short: liberalism allows a bunch of rich people to feel good about being rich because it allows them to 'care' about major issues without ever having to do anything about them.

So tell me, when you generalize its ok, but when liberals generalize its not?

How the fuck do you know what is 'hard' and what is 'not hard' ? Are you an actor? If not STFU.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: retrospooty

This is total nonsense.

First, the rich, like highly-paid CEO's, don't pay 50% taxes on their income.

They pay the top bracket, which I think is 40%. Obama would probably raise it to 50%.

In fact, the upper middle class pay more on a percentage than they do, because they're at about the same tax bracket but the ultra-rich have more tax deductions, breaks, write-offs, etc.

This is total nonsense. I agree that there are too many loopholes for the rich, but it is not to the point that they actually pay less taxes than middle or upper middle class earners. This may be true for a few exceptional cases, but not across the board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_O%27Neal

While I don't know any CEOs, I do know several well paid executives. Some come from modest backgrounds, some do not. They are all exceptionally smart, driven, and hard working people. Most work 9 or 10 hours day during the week, and 5-6 hours during the weekend.

Third, acting is a ruthless business. 99% of actors are unemployed and/or making nearly nothing. If pure unfettered all-or-nothing capitalism were applied to the rest of this country's industries as it is in show business, the people would have rebelled to communism decades ago.

Here, I agree. But the 99% of actors who are unemployed or making nearly nothing wouldn't have their taxes raised by Obama. The 1% that "make it", on the other hand, make millions of dollars without having to do as much work. (No need to wait tables on the side, for example).

You are so overwhelmingly wrong its not even funny. just stop posting. You are embarasing yourself and your country.

the only part you got right = when you said in your first post "I have no way of knowing. "

'Retrospooty', if you don't want to be a laughingstock here at P&N (and we've had a few, trust me), then you might want to try avoiding embarrassing (notice the proper spelling) yourself with completely vapid attack posts like this. There is ZERO content to your message, other than 'you are wrong', no proof, no argument, no evidence, just a flat statement from a nobody. I'd be willing to put good money down that Vic has more intelligence in his little finger than you will ever have.