Why do leftists like FDR so much?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I was just reminded that:
"Lefties have an amazing ability to uphold FDR as some sort of admirable standard, absolving him of responsibility for starting the federal war on pot, expanding the corporate state more than any other president, building the modern military-industrial complex, sending Jewish refugees back to die in the Holocaust, establishing legally dubious military commissions, forcing a hundred thousand people known to be harmless into concentration camps on the basis of race, firebombing dozens of cities, arranging ethnic cleansing and murderous repatriation schemes with Stalin, and creating the first nuclear weapons."

The left can't even be neutral on him. Why is that?

The forces of Stalin and FDR get credit for saving Jews just like Lincoln gets credit for freeing the slaves... yet both men were white nationalists.

Meanwhile, there is probably someone currently accusing Old Right Dr. Paul of being racist... yet Dr. Paul of the Old Right isn't racist.

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
I'm a member on a few different political/historical forums, and every few months one of those "rank the best presidents in history" threads will pop up. In pretty much every case, the known liberals and Leftists will rank FDR up in the top 5, if not number 1, which I always find curious. So I'll ask:

"You believe the best president in American history is a president who put over 100,000 innocent American citizens of Japanese descent, most of which were harmless women and children, into concentration camps? You consider putting people in concentration camps to be a measure of presidential greatness?"

The answer I always get:

Total silence.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I was just reminded that:
"Lefties have an amazing ability to uphold FDR as some sort of admirable standard, absolving him of responsibility for starting the federal war on pot, expanding the corporate state more than any other president, building the modern military-industrial complex, sending Jewish refugees back to die in the Holocaust, establishing legally dubious military commissions, forcing a hundred thousand people known to be harmless into concentration camps on the basis of race, firebombing dozens of cities, arranging ethnic cleansing and murderous repatriation schemes with Stalin, and creating the first nuclear weapons."

The left can't even be neutral on him. Why is that?

The forces of Stalin and FDR get credit for saving Jews just like Lincoln gets credit for freeing the slaves... yet both men were white nationalists.

Meanwhile, there is probably someone currently accusing Old Right Dr. Paul of being racist... yet Dr. Paul of the Old Right isn't racist.
Aint jews white?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Only fucking idiots judge actions of the past against current morals. Context is everything and you idiots have none.

Concentration camps? Read a history book!

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Worse:

From 1934 to 1941, taxpayers could exclude percentages of gains that varied with the holding period: 20, 40, 60, and 70 percent of gains were excluded on assets held 1, 2, 5, and 10 years, respectively.[1] Beginning in 1942, taxpayers could exclude 50 percent of capital gains on assets held at least six months or elect a 25 percent alternative tax rate if their ordinary tax rate exceeded 50 percent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...tates#History_of_capital_gains_tax_in_the_U.S.

FDR refused to tax capital gains the same as income. :hmm:

Why do leftists worship a man who was secretly a member of the Tea Party?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Only fucking idiots judge actions of the past against current morals. Context is everything and you idiots have none.

Ordering people to hand in their gold.

Ordering a certain minority group held without due process.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Ordering people to hand in their gold.

Ordering a certain minority group held without due process.

Its wrong for sure, but, in the case of the US grabbing aisians off the street, did that maybe kinda sorta kept them safer? I am NOT saying they should have or did so for any reason other then they were asian, but think about it, maybe keeping the asians in american camps was safer for them, the asians, than being beaten and killed by racists pissed off americans after the attack on pearl harbor?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

LOL, "current morals".

You've got to love Big Government nutters and their many justifications for tyranny. "But, but, but... things were different back then! Rounding up innocent American civilians and putting them in camps against their will wasn't considered such a bad thing!".

LOL.

Yes, concentration camps, dummy.

What do you think those places were? Summer camps? LOL!

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Its wrong for sure, but, in the case of the US grabbing aisians off the street, did that maybe kinda sorta kept them safer? I am NOT saying they should have or did so for any reason other then they were asian, but think about it, maybe keeping the asians in american camps was safer for them, the asians, than being beaten and killed by racists pissed off americans after the attack on pearl harbor?

So maybe the police should protect you from crime by putting you in a cage? Instead of actually patrolling your neighborhood and putting the bad guys in cages, maybe they should put all the victims in cages and let the bad guys roam free.

This makes a lot of sense.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

While I somewhat agree with your point, I still have to disagree with detaining someone against their will, even if it is in their best interest.

Should the government detain the mentally ill? Is autism a reason to detain someone? Should we round up everyone with down syndrome?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
While I somewhat agree with your point, I still have to disagree with detaining someone against their will, even if it is in their best interest.

Should the government detain the mentally ill? Is autism a reason to detain someone? Should we round up everyone with down syndrome?
Didnt they do that throughout history tho? I mean, thats kinda how the asylums got started.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Didnt they do that throughout history tho? I mean, thats kinda how the asylums got started.

Yes the government did, and the government also sterilized a lot of people without the persons permission.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
They love FDR because he started the social state by signing into law Social Security. They believe that now everyone has "safety net" and that the redistrubution of wealth is worth it.

The same however can be said of Reagan and the right. Reagen is seen as a great president because he defeated communist Russia. Now we see that Russia was likely to fall anyway as true communism is difficult to sustain. Reagen also started the giant ballooning deficit the right is so eager to cut now.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
LOL, "current morals".

You've got to love Big Government nutters and their many justifications for tyranny. "But, but, but... things were different back then! Rounding up innocent American civilians and putting them in camps against their will wasn't considered such a bad thing!".

LOL.

Yes, concentration camps, dummy.

What do you think those places were? Summer camps? LOL!

Your ignorance is astounding. For one they were called internment camps, not concentration camps, if you don't understand the difference then this conversation is over.
Again context is everything, was there anti japanese sentiment going on at the time or even before the camps were in place? Did the camps come about because US leaders were worried about japanese spies or the loyalty of the japanese?

Shall we create threads that call the founding fathers dispicable men because they thought black people shouldn't be counted as a full man? Should we look down on them and judge them because they thought only wealthy land owners should be able to vote?
No we don't do any of that and we look at our forefathers as great men despite their actions because we don't judge them by todays standards, well maybe your do but that's because you are an idiot.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So maybe the police should protect you from crime by putting you in a cage? Instead of actually patrolling your neighborhood and putting the bad guys in cages, maybe they should put all the victims in cages and let the bad guys roam free.

This makes a lot of sense.
Don't be an ass, do NOT twist my words.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

What the hell does context have to do with ordering US citizens into detention camps based on their nationality?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Your ignorance is astounding. For one they were called internment camps, not concentration camps, if you don't understand the difference then this conversation is over.

The only difference is the name.

In both places people were held either due to their nationality, or their religion.

Shall we create threads that call the founding fathers dispicable men because they thought black people shouldn't be counted as a full man?

At that time slavery was legal.

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

Wrong. They were concentration camps, just as the British used them and coined the term during the Second Boer War.

From Wikipedia:

The term "concentration camp" was used to describe camps operated by the British in South Africa during this conflict, and the term grew in prominence during this period.

The camps had originally been set up by the British army as "refugee camps" to provide refuge for civilian families who had been forced to abandon their homes for whatever reason related to the war. However, when Kitchener succeeded Roberts as commander-in-chief in South Africa on 29 November 1900, the British army introduced new tactics in an attempt to break the guerrilla campaign and the influx of civilians grew dramatically as a result. Kitchener initiated plans to:

flush out guerrillas in a series of systematic drives, organised like a sporting shoot, with success defined in a weekly 'bag' of killed, captured and wounded, and to sweep the country bare of everything that could give sustenance to the guerrillas, including women and children.... It was the clearance of civilians—uprooting a whole nation—that would come to dominate the last phase of the war.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War#cite_note-45

We used the same types of concentration camps for the same exact reason against the Japanese-Americans during WW2.

Again context is everything, was there anti japanese sentiment going on at the time or even before the camps were in place? Did the camps come about because US leaders were worried about japanese spies or the loyalty of the japanese?

Irrelevant. You don't incarcerate innocent people on the mere suspicion that they might commit an offense at some time in the future.

Shall we create threads that call the founding fathers dispicable men because they thought black people shouldn't be counted as a full man?

I don't see why not. Go ahead and start that thread. I'll add some commentary.

Should we look down on them and judge them because they thought only wealthy land owners should be able to vote?

Why not? If someone felt the same way today, wouldn't you look down on them?

No we don't do any of that and we look at our forefathers as great men despite their actions because we don't judge them by todays standards, well maybe your do but that's because you are an idiot.

Speak for yourself, schmuck. If you regard slave owners and concentration camp presidents as "great men", just say you do and explain why.

What's with this "we" shit?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Don't be an ass, do NOT twist my words.

I didn't twist anything. You implied that putting innocent people in concentration camps served to keep them "safe".

So why not apply the same reasoning when it comes to common crime?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I didn't twist anything. You implied that putting innocent people in concentration camps served to keep them "safe".

So why not apply the same reasoning when it comes to common crime?
And your responce to that implied that I thought that was a good idea. Look, if you are going to be a prick at least learn some reading comprehension. Otherwise you just come off as an obnoxious douche.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What the hell does context have to do with ordering US citizens into detention camps based on their nationality?

It's called historical context, look it up.

The only difference is the name.

In both places people were held either due to their nationality, or their religion.

At that time slavery was legal.

The ONLY difference was the name? Are you fucking being serious right now? Tell that to the millions of jews that were killed in concentration camps. How many Jews were held in concentration camps? How many were killed in concentration camps? How many japanese were held in internment camps? How many were killed?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Wrong. They were concentration camps, just as the British used them and coined the term during the Second Boer War.

From Wikipedia:

We used the same types of concentration camps for the same exact reason against the Japanese-Americans during WW2.

Irrelevant. You don't incarcerate innocent people on the mere suspicion that they might commit an offense at some time in the future.

I don't see why not. Go ahead and start that thread. I'll add some commentary.

Why not? If someone felt the same way today, wouldn't you look down on them?

Speak for yourself, schmuck. If you regard slave owners and concentration camp presidents as "great men", just say you do and explain why.

What's with this "we" shit?

Holy fuck you are retarded.