Why do I taste bitter?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
2003778223763443208_rs.jpg

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
your extremities? what are you licking? your toes?

Well... no my one other body part reaches far longer than my toes.

Serial answer: my hands and even arms. I mostly noticed it in my lips then tried my hands after reading the thread linked.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
It was the canned air for me. When I gave up on getting rid of the cat hair on my desk/keyboard for a week, I stopped noticing the bitter taste on my lips.

junkies gotta ruin everything - they add the bitterant to discourage getting high off it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Well... no my one other body part reaches far longer than my toes.

Serial answer: my hands and even arms. I mostly noticed it in my lips then tried my hands after reading the thread linked.
could be your tongue.

do you clean your tongue, aka brush the plaque build up/coating off it?

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
I ended up with a bitter taste in my mouth after making a mint pesto in April. Turns out it was from the pine nuts. Everything including the spoonful of brown sugar I ate was bitter it was very odd.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
could be your tongue.

do you clean your tongue, aka brush the plaque build up/coating off it?

I brush my tongue everyday. It's not a taste in my mouth, it's actually on my skin and lips.

I ended up with a bitter taste in my mouth after making a mint pesto in April. Turns out it was from the pine nuts. Everything including the spoonful of brown sugar I ate was bitter it was very odd.

Again, not lingering in mouth, on skin.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Ha.

I had this recently, lasted for a few months. I *think* it's gone now.

It started when I would lick my fingers after eating something, and noticed "holy shit, my fingers are bitter!"
And then, I started testing other skin surfaces. I'd taste the skin near my mouth - nope, nothing.
Lick my upper arms. Frequently, they too were bitter. Sometimes, they were not.

I too scoured the 'net in hopes of fingering something. But here's the catch - I've never used any canned air in the past handful of years, nor has anyone used any canned air or hell, cleaning chemicals, on my computer desk (then at my apartment on campus, now I am back at home).

I don't know what it is, and I cannot really say I've changed much. Recently, I noticed I might not have been getting as much potassium in my diet, as now I am eating more regular home meals and going out to eat at bars, versus then I was eating mostly campus food (which is likely loaded with vitamins to ensure the kids who are strictly on campus food get what they need). Maybe there was something I was something of which I was getting too much?
Hell if I know. Still taking the same pills, same supplements... I have cut back on caffeine a little bit, as I was consuming probably far more than I should.
And recently I have made a pledge to drastically cut back on sugar intake, trying to change my entire diet to focus more on fatty acids and proteins and severely cut back on carbohydrates.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Bitter is our tongue's detection of alkaloids, basically the chemical backbone of proteins and DNA. In short, you've been getting DNA all over you? :sneaky:

Fishface44

Dec 28, 2019
Hi all. I realize this is a 10 yo post, but I figured I'm having this issue, others are too.
I was having the bitter taste on my skin and lips, dry mouth, cracked tongue, numbness in my mouth and hands, fatigue, problems worsening through the day. I never used anything but rubbing alcohol to clean my keyboard.

I got rid of my ipad case, and the problems disappeared almost completely on day one. Day three, nothing. Well, it took a bit longer for my tongue to completely heal, but not much. I had a rubber case. Ordered off eBay from China. It was getting kind of old. I'm guessing the rubber started breaking down. Chemicals!

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else thinking they were going crazy or dying a horrible death.