Why do I have to sign in to use Office?

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
HP17z,AMD a-12-970p, Win 10, 8GB RAM, Malwarebytes

Just got this computer a few months ago, very happy. Old computer was 12 year old Dell desktop. Went to use Microsoft Excel, found out I have to sign in. My question is: Why?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
With Office 2013, 2016, and 365, they all require a Microsoft account to purchase and/or activate.

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for answering. Are there any disadvantages to having a Microsoft account? I try to join as few things as possible online.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Thanks for answering. Are there any disadvantages to having a Microsoft account? I try to join as few things as possible online.

WRT office there are 2 main benefits. You can sync your documents to onedrive and have access to everything on any device. You can install and activate office on multiple devices with your login.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
No, neither 2013 or 2016 need a Microsoft account to be used. 365, never used it so can't say, but I'm guessing it does because it's tied to the 'cloud'.

Clarifying: They require an MS account to install (ie. user gets a product key, goes to office.com/setup I think, signs in with MS account, attaches product key to that account, clicks the download button, runs the installer, end of requirement for said account except to reinstall in future), that's it. Most of the time I encounter these versions of Office, during normal use it says 'sign in' in the top-right corner of the application window.

The Windows version of Office 365 is the same product as 2016 (or whatever the latest version of MSO ends up becoming), just a different method of paying for it.

Nov 25, 2013
Clarifying: They require an MS account to install (ie. user gets a product key, goes to office.com/setup I think, signs in with MS account, attaches product key to that account, clicks the download button, runs the installer, end of requirement for said account except to reinstall in future), that's it. Most of the time I encounter these versions of Office, during normal use it says 'sign in' in the top-right corner of the application window.

The Windows version of Office 365 is the same product as 2016 (or whatever the latest version of MSO ends up becoming), just a different method of paying for it.

Just to be clear, the above is all relating to Office 365, right?

Because I've got both Office 2013 and 16 and no Microsoft account and never needed one to install, activate, or use either version. And, if it matters, they are both click to run versions although I did end up getting the dvd backup for 2016 as well because I thought it would allow for a modified install unlike the click to run version. Unfortunately the buggers have the dvd install the same way, with everything. :(

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
How on earth did you get those versions? The only time when I've been able to install 2013 without an MS account was with a pirated disc (the first time I ordered 2013, claimed to be legit but wasn't). Every time I've bought it from a legitimate source it's just been a cardboard box with a product key in and a note saying go to the office website to sign in and download it, or one step further being a digital download that comes with nothing material and just the product key on the screen with a note to go to that website :)

Nov 25, 2013
How on earth did you get those versions? The only time when I've been able to install 2013 without an MS account was with a pirated disc (the first time I ordered 2013, claimed to be legit but wasn't). Every time I've bought it from a legitimate source it's just been a cardboard box with a product key in and a note saying go to the office website to sign in and download it, or one step further being a digital download that comes with nothing material and just the product key on the screen with a note to go to that website :)

My versions were from the Home Users program (hence the 'click to run') but I've also installed a retail version of 2016 on a friend's computer and needed no Microsoft account and retail 2013 on a relative's computer a couple of years earlier and again, no Microsoft account needed.

It's like installing Windows, you have the option of either using a Microsoft account or a local account.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My versions were from the Home Users program (hence the 'click to run') but I've also installed a retail version of 2016 on a friend's computer and needed no Microsoft account and retail 2013 on a relative's computer a couple of years earlier and again, no Microsoft account needed.

It's like installing Windows, you have the option of either using a Microsoft account or a local account.

I suppose there's half a chance that MS sells medialess Office in the UK but not elsewhere, but I doubt it. The usual routine is that we get ripped off by MS selling the products to us for the same number in UKP that Americans pay in USD.

When I went on amazon.com and looked for mso 16 h&b it came up with basically the same thing they sell here (medialess office):
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Home-Business-2016/dp/B0114ZV22E/

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
I suppose there's half a chance that MS sells medialess Office in the UK but not elsewhere, but I doubt it. The usual routine is that we get ripped off by MS selling the products to us for the same number in UKP that Americans pay in USD.

When I went on amazon.com and looked for mso 16 h&b it came up with basically the same thing they sell here (medialess office):
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Home-Business-2016/dp/B0114ZV22E/

That's the same way, essentially, that the HUP works. You pay for the key (and there is also an offer for a backup dvd) and download the 'click to run' file which downloads and installs office. But it doesn't need a Microsoft account. As I mentioned before, you have the choice of either using a local account (which is what I use myself) or a Microsoft account.

Nov 25, 2013
Well, I have no idea why but I've never needed a Microsoft account to install, activate or use any version of Office that I've installed up to and including 2016 pro plus which is what I use now. <shrug>

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You do need a Microsoft account to activate some Office 2013 and later versions according to Microsoft.

Office 365 Home, Personal, or University or Office 2013 or later versions such as Office Home and Student, Office Home and Business, Office Professional and some versions of Office Professional Plus.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...e3f-8351-e2c03172df62?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Haven't use MS Office personally several years now. :D

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
well pro plus isn't a normal retail version of MSO IIRC. I suspect you've inadvertently had a pirate one sold to you just like I had one ordered by a customer off Amazon (third party seller).

No, as I mentioned, I got both my personal copies 2013 and 2016 thorough Microsoft HUP and the versions that I installed on other's computers were retail disks from a reputable chain store.

I dunno why, but, as said, I've never needed a Microsoft account for the versions of Office that I've installed at various times. <shrug>