why do i feel like Israel may have set this whole thing in action?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The fact that you think Muslims hate Jews because of Palestine proves just how ignorant you really are.

Your assertion to the contrary oozes ignorance.

Jewish communities existed & often thrived from Iran to Morocco prior to 1948, and had for hundreds of years, prior to the founding of Israel. Many were founded in the wake of the expulsion of Jews from Spain in 1492. Jews stood with Muslims in the defense of Jerusalem during the Crusades.

Which is not to say that relations were always friction-free, but rather workable & mutually beneficial.

Nov 29, 2006
Why do people and the US as a whole care about Isreal so much? I just dont get it. Why are they ours to babysit? If they want to wipe out the ME of muslims then let them, not our fight in my eyes.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Obama and congress are at fault for sucking foreign dick all the time. If I were president of America, I'd meet with ben Netanyahu and all the other leaders of the world one last time and tell him that the u.s. govt is not going to get involved in foreign affairs and that it is against the tradition of Americans for their govt to get involved in foreign wars. Unfortunately, the person who is actually president of America is a neoconservative wilsonian shart hole who likes the u.s. gov to occupy the whole world and is always glad to help certain countries for no good reason, all at the expense of the average american. Sure the contractors might benefit and the zionists might think they benefit themselves, but the people of israel and america don't benefit.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I am thrilled to hear Hayabusa Rider rests his credentials on his bagel making skills, as or this thread, its yet another Thread that sheds heat and no light.

I'm a person who appreciates good food, and I'll put in the work necessary to make it. Take bagels for instance. One could go to the store and buy Thomas brand bagels. They're easy and you can get them without a fuss. The problem is that I find them insipid, yet they are very popular. To many they are what bagels ought to be since that's all that they bothered to try. Baking? Please, that's hard!

When I was young I didn't know what a bagel was. Never even heard of them. When I met the family I mentioned they had access to a first rate Jewish bakery. The bagels I first had were outstanding, in the NYC/Philly tradition, and that's what I was longing for.

I also love all sorts of breads, and I had it in mind that I should learn how to make whatever I wished without being embarrassed at the results. So I went on the internet and found a few good sites which detailed sourdough, pizza, and a whole world of baked goods that promised to be delicious- if - I were prepared to do what was required.

I found a few books on one of the bread sites that were constantly referred to and bought them. One of those had a recipe that looked to be just the thing. I then looked on the web and found comments about the relative merits of various recipes and techniques. There were photos of the finished products and they looked good, but something was not quite right about the appearance. Backing up, I should say that bagels were boiled. In today's world that's expensive so most are steam baked. If done well it's not too bad, but if you are Thomas, cheap and easy is better for them. The end result is that their product is cheap to make, has a lot of preservatives and lasts a long time, it's packaged and marketed, and priced to sell. It's perfect except that it tastes like crap. There is no difference between the interior crumb and the exterior "crust" which I put on quotations because I don't think it's any different at all except for coloration and that the outside is sealed.

So back to boiling vs. steaming- Everything being equal, boiling and baking produces a superior product, but it's not as cheap and fast as steam cooking. Not only that, but just passing a steamed cooked bagel under a heating element just doesn't do it.

Well, the method I described makes a decent product, but it won't brown right in the oven. The easiest solution is to paint it with egg wash. It browns and there is a crust better than most steamed bagels, and certainly better than pre-bagged supermarket ones. Well if you are going thorough this trouble, then in for a penny in for a pound.

Best practice is this- Make your dough, let it rest for a bit and then shape it into bagels. Then you put it in a fridge for 6-12 hours covered. The bagels proof (just means rise) under cooler conditions causing a slowing of the process. One might think that faster is better, but there are chemical and biological processes that take time. The dough "ripens" during this time. After that you can dip them for half a minute in boiling water. If you add malt syrup to the water you get a nicely colored product, but it's still too "bready". What is needed is an alkali to react with the surface molecules which in turn produces a real bagel crust. Again one can use egg wash, but that just browns and does nothing to the dough itself.

The easy way out is to use baking soda and most people do that. It's easy to get and not so strong that caution has to be used in handling. That's what I was looking at in pics of others work. Not bad but not exactly as I remembered. Then I found a link to someone who uses lye instead of baking soda. It involves some care since lye is serious stuff, but it looked exactly as I remembered. So I bought lye crystals on the web and went to work. There was a lot to keep in mind, many little things done properly in correct order. It involves time and attention. It also involves some additional items, such as a baking stone, lye, and parchment paper, but those are basic items anyway.

I made enough to take to work and when people tried them they were amazed. All of them said that they never had the like. Bagels come in bags at the store and are bland white bread circle with a hole in the middle. What they got was something with layers of textures and tastes. Something that had "tooth" to the exterior, a not-quite-crunchy not -quite-hard exterior, but not soft either. Something that's impossible to describe, but it's there. The interior was chewy and dense, but not a brick. It didn't compress into bland dough when bitten, but released a complex flavor.

In short it was exactly what I hoped for. It was a whole new sensation for those trying them and they ask "are you bringing more in soon"?

So LL there you go. The next question I would expect is "what does this have to do with politics or news or Israel or anything?"

I'd say that public policy and that includes foreign relations is much like a bagel. To get something that is first rate requires knowing just what you want, putting effort into learning about what is required, going about it in a logical and consistent way expending the time and effort needed. One may have to borrow ideas from others. Sometimes things will have to be done that aren't all that easy. That also applies to the citizen, who too often picks based on advertisements and brand loyalty over quality and substance.

Here, have a Thomas.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Why do people and the US as a whole care about Isreal so much? I just dont get it. Why are they ours to babysit? If they want to wipe out the ME of muslims then let them, not our fight in my eyes.

It is because the US is a mostly Christian nation (though many pretend it is not, they are just being delusional). The Old Testament mentions that those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Isreal will be cursed. Also, Israel is where the New Jerusalem will be placed during the end days, when Jesus returns. Israel is holy to the Christians, as well as the Jews and parts of it is holy to the Muslims as well.

Jun 26, 2007
I am thrilled to hear Hayabusa Rider rests his credentials on his bagel making skills, as or this thread, its yet another Thread that sheds heat and no light.

But still this tread and th makers of the film who suceeded in getting so many innocent people killed should maybe be the true subject of this thread. Who won and who lost is the real question.

As we don't know much about the makers of this film but we can still say they were the big losers. As one of them was this total nut who somehow felt if he could produce a film about Mohammed being a child molester, billions of Muslims would buy his propaganda and give up the Islamic religion in disgust. As a net zero Muslims bought his propaganda. Another film producer is a Egyptian coptic fan boy, whose harvest can only rebound against innocent Egyptian coptic Christians who have a honored and 2000 years history of being a protected minority in Egypt. Who will sadly now become victims of rising Islamic rage.

As I can only conclude no one won and everyone in the world lost.

We know everything about the film maker, where he got his money and who directed it, we have the words of the actors too.

That ol Mochaaammmat (piitb) was a child molester is IN THE QUARAN (he married Aisha at age 6 and yes he had sex with her but didn't penetrate her vaginally until she was a mature woman at the age of 9) so i doubt many Muzzies will dispute that, that's not their gripe with this film (which you obviously haven't seen nor know anything about, at all).

I can conclude that Hisb'Allah and AQ are the true winners here, they have got people blaming the Jews, the US, the UK and the entire west for what NO ONE but the perpetrators are guilty of.

Jun 26, 2007
The sword of freedom may have also existed in Apartheid South Africa too and lasted far longer than 1948 Israel has existed.

But all the glowing words uttered by South African proponents never stopped South African Apartheid from being placed in the scrap bin of history.

As we can also go back to the words of cybrsage, who maintains, "In chess, you do not sacrifice your king as part of any strategy...Israel will not sacrifice itself as part of its strategy..." ??????????????????? really??????????????????

As I am a chess player too as Israel is all in now, betting all the all the kings horses and all the kings men, plus the Israeli King too that somehow, 7 million Israeli Jews can prevail against 300 million pissed off Arabs. Forever. When Israel has to prove to Arabs that that Israel can earn their place in the mid-east set of nations through mutual co-operation before its too late.

Such is the Israeli chess game bet, that has to be a long term unsustainable strategy and a fools game. Just as the South Africal apartheid strategy proved to be.

I know you have wet dreams about a new Jewish genocide but it's not gonna happen, son.

BTW, have you heard what the PA thinks of the people they keep in the refugee camps (yeah, those camps they have built for their brethren who they consider of less worth)? Latest statement made it clear that if there ever is a Palestinian state, those Palestinians will not be citizens in it.

It's pretty much what anyone would expect, they have been doing the same in the refugee camps in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan for decades and no one cared about that either. It's the Jews fault anyway, it is ALWAYS the Jews fault.

Jun 26, 2007

Jewish communities existed & often thrived from Iran to Morocco prior to 1948, and had for hundreds of years, prior to the founding of Israel. Many were founded in the wake of the expulsion of Jews from Spain in 1492. Jews stood with Muslims in the defense of Jerusalem during the Crusades.

Which is not to say that relations were always friction-free, but rather workable & mutually beneficial.

LOL!

I can only assume you're joking here. Good one mate.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
a much warranted one at that..... :thumbsup::thumbsup: to JohnOfSheffield!!!
Absolutely. When one sees Muslims having murderous riots yet again and blames the Jews, claims that one's intellect was destroyed isn't so much a personal attack as giving the benefit of the doubt. I would not have assumed he ever had an intellect to be destroyed.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

This is just cute.

You think Muslims care about Palestine? They consider Palestinans the dogs of the Arab world. It is an excuse for them to express their anti-semitism.

Nov 30, 2006
Obama might suspect this as well and wants nothing to do with it, he recently snubbed the Israeli Prime Minister.
Netanyahu has "schooled" Obama on multiple occasions and I imagine Obama has to be a little butt sore...

May, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlJ6erL-HY

March, 2012
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2012/03/05/will-netanyahu-school-obama-again/

...and they obviously don't get along.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/15/161153159/u-s-israel-divided-over-red-line-for-iran

As a former State Department official, Aaron David Miller was up close to many U.S. presidents in their dealings with Israeli leaders.

"I've watched this relationship between Israeli prime ministers and American presidents for a long time, since [Menachem] Begin and [Jimmy] Carter," Miller says. "I have to say, this is probably the most dysfunctional pair that I've seen."

Meanwhile, Iran is starting to get very close to having a nuclear weapon. Unfortunately, Obama seems unwilling to discuss such matters privately with Netanyahu. WTF is going on?

Nov 29, 2006
It is because the US is a mostly Christian nation (though many pretend it is not, they are just being delusional). The Old Testament mentions that those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Isreal will be cursed. Also, Israel is where the New Jerusalem will be placed during the end days, when Jesus returns. Israel is holy to the Christians, as well as the Jews and parts of it is holy to the Muslims as well.

Oh. Glad im not religious then. I'll enjoy my peace and non war-like ways :)

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
it's coming out now that the attack was planned, was not in relation to the video....there was not even a protest happening when the attack happened...

knew something smelled fishy..

NOW.. lets see how zion tv spins it (fox news)
and we'll take a look at al jazeera, and we'll take a look at some libyan media... lets see how many different stories we get..

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
it's coming out now that the attack was planned, was not in relation to the video....there was not even a protest happening when the attack happened...

knew something smelled fishy..

So it was the Jews who paid AQ to attack and take credit for it?

Is this what happened to you brain from years of abuse?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'm a person who appreciates good food, and I'll put in the work necessary to make it. Take bagels for instance. One could go to the store and buy Thomas brand bagels. They're easy and you can get them without a fuss. The problem is that I find them insipid, yet they are very popular. To many they are what bagels ought to be since that's all that they bothered to try. Baking? Please, that's hard!

When I was young I didn't know what a bagel was. Never even heard of them. When I met the family I mentioned they had access to a first rate Jewish bakery. The bagels I first had were outstanding, in the NYC/Philly tradition, and that's what I was longing for.

I also love all sorts of breads, and I had it in mind that I should learn how to make whatever I wished without being embarrassed at the results. So I went on the internet and found a few good sites which detailed sourdough, pizza, and a whole world of baked goods that promised to be delicious- if - I were prepared to do what was required.

I found a few books on one of the bread sites that were constantly referred to and bought them. One of those had a recipe that looked to be just the thing. I then looked on the web and found comments about the relative merits of various recipes and techniques. There were photos of the finished products and they looked good, but something was not quite right about the appearance. Backing up, I should say that bagels were boiled. In today's world that's expensive so most are steam baked. If done well it's not too bad, but if you are Thomas, cheap and easy is better for them. The end result is that their product is cheap to make, has a lot of preservatives and lasts a long time, it's packaged and marketed, and priced to sell. It's perfect except that it tastes like crap. There is no difference between the interior crumb and the exterior "crust" which I put on quotations because I don't think it's any different at all except for coloration and that the outside is sealed.

So back to boiling vs. steaming- Everything being equal, boiling and baking produces a superior product, but it's not as cheap and fast as steam cooking. Not only that, but just passing a steamed cooked bagel under a heating element just doesn't do it.

Well, the method I described makes a decent product, but it won't brown right in the oven. The easiest solution is to paint it with egg wash. It browns and there is a crust better than most steamed bagels, and certainly better than pre-bagged supermarket ones. Well if you are going thorough this trouble, then in for a penny in for a pound.

Best practice is this- Make your dough, let it rest for a bit and then shape it into bagels. Then you put it in a fridge for 6-12 hours covered. The bagels proof (just means rise) under cooler conditions causing a slowing of the process. One might think that faster is better, but there are chemical and biological processes that take time. The dough "ripens" during this time. After that you can dip them for half a minute in boiling water. If you add malt syrup to the water you get a nicely colored product, but it's still too "bready". What is needed is an alkali to react with the surface molecules which in turn produces a real bagel crust. Again one can use egg wash, but that just browns and does nothing to the dough itself.

The easy way out is to use baking soda and most people do that. It's easy to get and not so strong that caution has to be used in handling. That's what I was looking at in pics of others work. Not bad but not exactly as I remembered. Then I found a link to someone who uses lye instead of baking soda. It involves some care since lye is serious stuff, but it looked exactly as I remembered. So I bought lye crystals on the web and went to work. There was a lot to keep in mind, many little things done properly in correct order. It involves time and attention. It also involves some additional items, such as a baking stone, lye, and parchment paper, but those are basic items anyway.

I made enough to take to work and when people tried them they were amazed. All of them said that they never had the like. Bagels come in bags at the store and are bland white bread circle with a hole in the middle. What they got was something with layers of textures and tastes. Something that had "tooth" to the exterior, a not-quite-crunchy not -quite-hard exterior, but not soft either. Something that's impossible to describe, but it's there. The interior was chewy and dense, but not a brick. It didn't compress into bland dough when bitten, but released a complex flavor.

In short it was exactly what I hoped for. It was a whole new sensation for those trying them and they ask "are you bringing more in soon"?

So LL there you go. The next question I would expect is "what does this have to do with politics or news or Israel or anything?"

I'd say that public policy and that includes foreign relations is much like a bagel. To get something that is first rate requires knowing just what you want, putting effort into learning about what is required, going about it in a logical and consistent way expending the time and effort needed. One may have to borrow ideas from others. Sometimes things will have to be done that aren't all that easy. That also applies to the citizen, who too often picks based on advertisements and brand loyalty over quality and substance.

Here, have a Thomas.

This is just an outstanding post. Not just for the recipe and the techniques, which are spot on, but for the lesson to be learned.

If there would be a Top 100 Posts award or anything like that on ATPN, I would nominate this one!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Here, have a Thomas.

I have been following the reminiscing about bagels and growing up.....
Brought back many memories of my mother and grandmother making bagels from scratch....of course the wife loves to make bagels. But it does require effort and work to make real good down to earth bagels....

Made my day you did!! When the wife gets home from Poland,I think we will make Bagels.....
My son Loves his mothers Bagels......in fact my son will be flying to Poland from Israel and returning with his mom the first of October to visit.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
it's a structured liberal deception to try to convince the American Public that a video caused the embassy attacks rather then a months long planned attack. the obama regime is trying to duck and hide from a major foreign policy failure and his willing accomplices in the media are using action lines and sound bites to assist in the cover up.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
So the Shia and the Sunni muslims hate, fight and masacre each other.
Both manage to hate the Kurds.
The Hindus and the Moslems hate and fight each other.

God has to be laughing, whoever he is.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

Here, have a Thomas.

I took up the hobby of baking artisan breads a couple years ago and love it. My favorite is ciabatta. I have what looks like a good recipe for bagels but haven't tried it yet. You've got me thinking about maybe trying it this weekend, with your comments in mind. Good post!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I took up the hobby of baking artisan breads a couple years ago and love it. My favorite is ciabatta. I have what looks like a good recipe for bagels but haven't tried it yet. You've got me thinking about maybe trying it this weekend, with your comments in mind. Good post!

I found a local source of high gluten flour and bought 50 pounds the other day. Should keep me in bagels and NY style pizza for a bit :)

The recipe I is in the 2004 edition of Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread"

A new edition is being released the end of this November.

51bCC0FLDCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Overall, "Bread" is my favorite, although the novice might better be served by Peter Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice" which is also quite good.

If you are interested, this is the most requested bread I make for my family.

I used the caraway/rye version

Pic of said domestic policy, er bread from the poster here:

IMG_0786_r.jpg

:biggrin:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
oh wait.. what were you guys saying???

Armada of British naval power massing in the Gulf as Israel prepares an Iran strike - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-Gulf-as-Israel-prepares-an-Iran-strike.html

I don't know about "we" but there isn't anything which remotely links Israel to a craptistic movie.

Follow the train of reasoning you are using. If someone in Israel were able to hide the connection in order to cause the Brits and others to sail in to the region to give credence to the idea that Israel is going to strike. That's quite a chain you have and an amazing piece of work on the part of that Israeli. I'd like to meet him or her.

Jun 26, 2007
oh wait.. what were you guys saying???

Armada of British naval power massing in the Gulf as Israel prepares an Iran strike - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-Gulf-as-Israel-prepares-an-Iran-strike.html

So you're saying AQ and Hisb'Allah were preparing the way for England and Israel to take out Iran?

Yeah, seems likely.

Anyway, i read the Hisb'Allah statement, you should probably inform them that they are Jews since they don't seem to know that.

Iran won't be allowed to have nuclear capabilities, there was never any debate about that but a strike isn't likely right now anyway, it's just speculation.

A much simpler explanation is that Iran is threatening to attack ships in the area, it's really no different than the ships outside of Somalia. They're there for protection, nothing else.