Why do I always get the bad luck with RAM?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A few years ago I built a few comps for myself, family and friends.

They were AMD/Nforce2 systems using dual channel RAM. All 3 were unstable - the RAM simply would not work in dual channel mode (even though I had bought dual channel 'kits'). In the end, I ended up having to run them in single channel mode (I RMA'd one, and the retailer sent it back with a 'testing fee' saying it was fine).

My brother eventually destroyed his RAM and mobo my accident - and switching to a different brand of RAM allowed satisfactory stability in dual channel mode.

Just a few weeks ago, I built another 2 comps.

This time Intel 965 systems. Again - guess what? Both comps were unstable.

The first one is unstable in dual channel mode, but is absolutely fine in single channel. The 2nd has an single faulty stick. (Pic). Now seeing if I can get an RMA on 2 sets of RAM.

I'm really not sure why I've had such bad luck. I took pretty reasonable precautions during assembly. However, it seems to me that most of the problems I've had are simple compatability problems - where certain motherboards/chipsets simply don't work with all RAM that you'd expect them to work with.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Sometimes you do get memory that is incompatible with boards, and sometimes bios updates fix them. Nforce2 boards were known for memory incompatibilities, so no surprise there - especially had problems with Corsair memory.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I've had customer's bring in computer lately with newer hardware and compatibility issues with corsair ram in dual channel.

All i know is i've only used Super Talent for the last couple of years and have never had one compatibility issue yet in dual channel mode. It's great ram.

I'm using a 2GB kit right now in my system, no probs.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Every time I've ordered a "kit" I've had to RMA it. Each time the replacement kit was fine.

It's frustrating, but these days the first thing I do when installing RAM is boot into memtest and let it run for an absolute minimum of 6 hours, usually overnight or while I'm at work. It's ridiculous to me.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gah.

RMAd both sets on my new RAM.

One set has been replaced. However, they just sent the other set back saying it is fine, along with a $20 bill for a 'testing fee'.

So I've got a dual channel kit which clearly doesn't work in dual channel mode, and the retailer refused the RMA. What next? RMA the motherboard?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mechBgon
What kind of RAM, and what voltage is it being given?

LOL. Completely forgot I hadn't given that info. My fault for dredging up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Systems are:
Asus P5B Deluxe (latest BIOS - v. 1101)
Geil Ultra PC2 DDR 6400 4-4-4-12; 2X 1GB dual channel kits
E6600

Ram is running at stock settings (BIOS defaults), except for VDimm which is set to 2.1V (This is the recommendation printed on the DIMMS). I have also tried 2.2V after discussion with Geil Tech support - no difference.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
So it's not just the voltage, then :( If it were me, I would go get me some "vanilla" Crucial DDR2 with no heatspreaders, no Ultra Super Hyper blah blah, and hopefully no need to be humored, massaged, or hurled across the room :evil: Like this kit here.

I used to manage a fleet of systems, more than half of which I'd built myself. I used Crucial, and had only one bad DIMM over the years.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks.

I've been seriously considering getting some crucial RAM, and dumping the Geil stuff on Ebay anyway.

I'm afraid I'm probably going to ignore your advice about no heatspreader, hyper-blah. As I think I'll get these instead

There are 2 good reasons why I'd like to do this:
a) Those exact ballistix 'heatspreader' ram modules are specifically listed as compatible by ASUS in their QVL (the only crucial modules to be listed).
b) Those modules are cheaper than the ones you linked too :) At least they are from my local resellers (yes, the resellers offer nearly 30% discount over buying direct from crucial).

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Shameless bump.

I checked the latest version of the Asus P5B Deluxe QVL (I'd previously only found an old one).

On the latest QVL, my Geil PC6400 CL4 modules are listed as single-channel compatible only.

That goes some way to explaining my issues!

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mechBgon
I used to manage a fleet of systems, more than half of which I'd built myself. I used Crucial, and had only one bad DIMM over the years.
I'm a big Micron/Crucial fan myself. I always Memtest new memory modules. If they are Crucial, I don't bother. ;)