Why do guys goof on each other when bonding but girls...

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
... tend to support and encourage each other? Well, at least that's what my impression is.

For example, I'm probably closest to my brothers and I constantly goof on him. He does the same with me.

But from what I understand, girls don't seem to do that. Like if a girl makes a stupid mistake and embarrasses herself, I doubt her best friend would call her a "stupid i love you" like I sometimes do with my brother.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i make fun of my best friend all the time and she's a girl :p

her: i think i need to lose weight.
me: yup.

:D

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Guys are competitive and gals are supportive. Besides, guys are worried of what others will think if they don't goof.

edit: btw, you'll be way ahead of most guys if you realize that in general women and men DO deal with things differently. When you see that women have a valid point of view according to where THEY are coming from, you will begin to understand and get along real well with women.
Meanwhile all your guy friends all their life are like "WTF, I just don't understand women!"

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why do guys goof on each other when bonding but girls...
... tend to support and encourage each other? Well, at least that's what my impression is.

For example, I'm probably closest to my brothers and I constantly goof on him. He does the same with me.

But from what I understand, girls don't seem to do that. Like if a girl makes a stupid mistake and embarrasses herself, I doubt her best friend would call her a "stupid i love you" like I sometimes do with my brother.

Let me first comment on the post below and then I'll answer directly.

Guys are competitive and gals are supportive. Besides, guys are worried of what others will think if they don't goof.

edit: btw, you'll be way ahead of most guys if you realize that in general women and men DO deal with things differently. When you see that women have a valid point of view according to where THEY are coming from, you will begin to understand and get along real well with women.
Meanwhile all your guy friends all their life are like "WTF, I just don't understand women!"

Your generalization needs a bunch of ceteris paribus clauses to hold, I think. Firstly, socialization techniques/strategies in early childhood do tend to follow those patterns but this is not to suggest that one can generalize and be able to unequivocally state that this is a fact in all relationships. Your advice of trying to understand and empathize, however seems to be very healthy.

Now on to StormRider. As I have posted before here, early socialization tends to influence and shape later coping styles. What the interaction between nature and nurture is remains to be discovered but at this time, the evidence points to nature with hormonal priming in the womb leading to subsequent development as well as behavioral tendencies. Of course stuff like attachment is pretty important as well so it's most likely a complex relationship.

Now that early socialization in both boys and girls is equivalent until roughly 4.5 years of age. At this point, the genders separate. It happens naturally in western culture and is a pretty interesting phenomenon with many causes like preferred tys, preferred activities, preferred "roughness", etc. With segragation comes unique developmental coping strategies for play. Girls do, to a large extent, tend to use more cooperative and inclusive strategies. They will use force but the end result of these encounters is still cooperation and a restoration of balance. Boys, on the other hand, usually engage in more rough activities. Note this is just stating that this is what occurs now, and is not to suggest ossification of child personality or deterministic behaviors. That is, the play can be altered to help boys develop inclusive strategies for play and interaction.

Ok, now that you have an overview of how early socialization contributes to later behavior, let me say a few things about personality. In the developing child, this is very malleable. The brain is still growing rapidly so any pathways can be reshaped with proper cognitive modification. In other words, there's hope for anyone :D

I would say a spiel about adolescence but I don't think people want to read about what I have to say.

I will say some stuff about adulthood though. With a set coping strategy, people tend to be on stable life trajectories. That is, what worked in childhood will likely be used. What was learned in play during immaturity will be used in adulthood. If males share socialization techniques bordering on ribaldry and directness to ease stress and gain understanding/comraderie, then females will probably use conflict lessening techniques like win-win negotiation, compromise or other power diffusing methods.

Why does it occur? Again, the past determines the present. If you set some person on a path and if that works in an environment/adaptive, then little change will occur.

Plus, females are smarter and know how to resolve stress in relationships better :p :D ;) ... and so they do that.

Cheers ! :)

Floydian

Dec 13, 1999
A lot of the girls I'm friends with change best friends quite a bit, a lot more than me and my guy friends.

We've always hung out with the same main peeps, the chicks change best friends yearly it seems like

Maybe its just our group dunno

Not sure how this relates, but probably somehow.

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A lot of the girls I'm friends with change best friends quite a bit, a lot more than me and my guy friends.

Yep. One of the side effects of using a wide social group to diffuse stress is that it's really used. That means a change in social position will likely be taken more seriously that physical force. See, when a person says that the best friendship will be terminated, this is really social leveraging as it implies that that network of connections has been severed and new "alliances" or ties are formed. Males, on the other hand, will often just resort to immediate feedback methods such as fighting. However, no real change in social status can be observed since there is one alpha male and the rest are kinda equal and free to do as they please. You are right, this does occur and it's because of different views on the purpose and functions of friendships. Again, I stress that this is not deterministic unless we make it so, human beings are very flexible and adaptable creatures.

Cheers ! :)

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Its related to the fact that two guys can get into an arguement, get really pissed at each other, go outside, beat the crap out of each other, and then come back, share a few beers, and be great friends afterwards.

Meanwhile, women dont even go outside to fight, they have shouting matches, then dont talk to each other again.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<< Its related to the fact that two guys can get into an arguement, get really pissed at each other, go outside, beat the crap out of each other, and then come back, share a few beers, and be great friends afterwards.

Meanwhile, women dont even go outside to fight, they have shouting matches, then dont talk to each other again.
>>

Hehe, it's true!!! I've seen this happen so many times... it's quite hilarious to watch.

LoTecha

Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, girls will either do that or just keep it inside and make bitter but ambiguous comments to the other girl.

>"Besides, guys are worried of what others will think if they don't goof"

Actually, I think girls are more conscious then guys and that's why they support each other. That's also why girls will keep thing bottled up and be bitter about stuff b/c they're scared what the other girl will think, or what the public will think about their anger in general. Guys, otoh, will goof w/other guys b/c they don't really worry too much about hurting the other guy. Even if the other guy gets mad, he'll probably forget it in a day or so.