Why do gay guys have such horrible difficulties determining whether or not women look good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spaceghost21

May 22, 2004
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I fine someone like Pamela Anderson absolutely unattractive, where as I find a more plain/real girl much more attractive.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think gay men are more capable of taking in the whole picture, rather than just the size of a woman's breasts.

as a gay male, I've never understood what straight guys see in Jennifer Anniston or Britney Spears... they both have horse faces.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Maybe the same reason why straight guys don't view other men as attractive or not, well I don't anyways. I don't judge the looks of my friends. Gay guys like men and straight guys like women.

I don't find any guys attractive, but I can tell if a woman will think a guy is attractive or not. just because a guy can say another guy is a good looking guy doesn't mean he's attracted to him.

What features will qualify a man as good looking?

rippling muscles a bright smile and eyes and chiseled features usually.

this is actually true for both sexes for women its a tight body, bright smile and eyes and sharp features.

Now that I have puked after reading the rippling muscles part, I don't like women with muscles nor do I like women that are toothpicks.

he's saying there is a set of general characteristics that the opposite sex generally finds attractive about the other sex. and if you can't see that or don't realize that, you are a clueless person as it actually seems from your posts in this thread.

I'm glad you are making my point for me. If you would have read my posts, you would see the part about gay guys like guys and straight guys like women. The reason I make new friends with guys isn't based on their chiseled, rippling muscles but if they have the same personality as me. So one could conclude that gay guys don't see or judge a women's beauty.

I agree with purbeast0

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The most universal test for beauty is symmetry. The next best test is proportions. If a face is symmetrical and none of the features are absurdly proportioned, most people in most cultures will say that is a beautiful face. Using this type of test, beauty is measurable and a lot of the personal preference is removed (ie blond vs brunette vs red head).

Using Dullard's patent pending Symmetry and Lack of Absurd Proportions test (SLAP), I can judge both women and men. I think I'm pretty accurate in knowing what women will like and what men will like. Sure, SLAP isn't perfect. Some people like the oddities. But it is a pretty good judge of beauty.

Far too often though, people use personality to judge beauty. Don't forget they are two separate entities. In my experience, women and gay men tend to merge the two ideas a lot more than straight men do. Thus, gay men and straight men often will look at the same person and have completely different conclusions.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why do straight men have to be so homophobic about admitting that another man is attractive (in a non-sexual way)?

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dullard
The most universal test for beauty is symmetry. The next best test is proportions. If a face is symmetrical and none of the features are absurdly proportioned, most people in most cultures will say that is a beautiful face. Using this type of test, beauty is measurable and a lot of the personal preference is removed (ie blond vs brunette vs red head).

Using Dullard's patent pending Symmetry and Lack of Absurd Proportions test (SLAP), I can judge both women and men. I think I'm pretty accurate in knowing what women will like and what men will like. Sure, SLAP isn't perfect. Some people like the oddities. But it is a pretty good judge of beauty.

Far too often though, people use personality to judge beauty. Don't forget they are two separate entities. In my experience, women and gay men tend to merge the two ideas a lot more than straight men do. Thus, gay men and straight men often will look at the same person and have completely different conclusions.
I think this sums it up pretty well. Gay guys and women merge the two ideas and straight men don't. When I think of a girl, I think of her attractivness and I think of her personality - two completely separate items. The first but not the second makes you want to get them in bed. The second but not the first means you can be friends. If they have both you probably want to date them.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Why do straight men have to be so homophobic about admitting that another man is attractive (in a non-sexual way)?

I have no idea. Same thing in "look how much weight I lost" threads. A guy will post shirtless pics of himself after having lost 40lbs, and invariably someone will come post "Oh my god, my eyes, they're burning, I've never seen a shirtless man before, you're turning me gay!"

:roll:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: notfred

I have no idea. Same thing in "look how much weight I lost" threads. A guy will post shirtless pics of himself after having lost 40lbs, and invariably someone will come post "Oh my god, my eyes, they're burning, I've never seen a shirtless man before, you're turning me gay!"

Society pressures against gays. Therefore, men try as hard as possible to suppress anything that may seem even remotely gay, because if they did something that someone could call gay, then that person would inevitably turn gay, leaving him no choice but to die in a fire.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac

Society pressures against gays. Therefore, men try as hard as possible to suppress anything that may seem even remotely gay, because if they did something that someone could call gay, then that person would inevitably turn gay, leaving him no choice but to die in a fire.
Last night I accidentally typed "nighty" to my female friend online instead of "night." She said don't act like NAME (a friend of mine I won't mention who we presume is gay). I took offense to that and she laughed, but now in retrospect I feel bad.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: CKent
Can you tell if a guy's good looking? I sure can't. I'm sure it works both ways.
It's not hard to tell, if they look like Brad Pitt or some other Hollywood douche with high cheekbones, then they will be labeled as "good looking".

And I don't know what gays you're talking about, most can always tell if a girl is "cute", "pretty", "fabulous" or whatever.

It's a myth to say that most mature people (most ATOT teens don't qualify) can't tell what society deems as a "good looking" person, male or female.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Ryan
Originally posted by: Ryan
I disagree! In fact - I think it's the other way around.

What is "the other way around" exactly?

Straight guys have a hard time sometimes seeing beautiful women, because their judgement is clouded by the needs of their second head, and they often feel attracted to slutty looking women and unrealistic/fake beauties.

Also - if gay men had such hard times telling the hotties from the butterfaces, how come I don't see an abundance of straight makeup artists in the industry? Behind nearly every beautiful woman, is usually a flamer.

QFT

OP, your gay friends are trying to hook you into dating their ugly friends.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

I just don't see guys and think that guy is good looking.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I just don't see guys and think that guy is good looking.
No straight man just sits around thinking about how good-looking guys are, but if someone asked me if I think that George Clooney is a good looking man, I could say yes without feeling gay.