Why do gaming consoles even exist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
With phones and tablets becoming more and more common devices to interface with electronics, console gaming systems are inching closer to those territories, but also the lines between what we think of as a computer task and as a mobile device task are getting much blurrier. Lots of households don't have a traditional desktop PC.

And to that end, it is much easier to have universal compatibility and predictability in gameplay/controls with a console where everyone has the exact same hardware.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Back in the days of Atari, NES, Playstation 1 etc the idea was that they were plug and play and everything just works 100% of the time, short of maybe having to blow in a cartridge once in a while. (there's debate as to if that did anything or not) No need to deal with configuring anything or updates or any of that crap. You buy it, you plug it in, and you can start playing right away and it just works.

Now days though consoles are basically just proprietary computers running proprietary operating systems with proprietary game engines that are heavily cloud based. They're also not so plug and play anymore, you need to setup an account and tie to the cloud and all that BS and also deal with updates and hope their servers never go down. Similar stuff you need to deal with on a PC. The main reason for getting a console now would be for if there's specific games you want to play that aren't available on PC or for social gaming (like in a party type setting) as computer games aren't really suited for that type of game play. Ex: games like multi player (with people in same room) racing games and what not.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Do not forget "brand whores"! I live next to one and he literally says things as stupid as: I can only ever buy a Playstation.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I play FPS (most the games I play) on PC but consoles are great for most types of games.

I think the biggest advancement for PC games (and this happened like 15 years ago) is that they made the Xbox controller standard so all the buttons are already mapped. It was such a PITA mapping everything to a controller in the 90s.

I play co op games with my son on console all the time. There are PC elitists out there but who the hell cares. As long as you are having fun. On PC, I find myself screwing with video settings and the like way more than I care to admit.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Back in the days of Atari, NES, Playstation 1 etc the idea was that they were plug and play and everything just works 100% of the time, short of maybe having to blow in a cartridge once in a while. (there's debate as to if that did anything or not) No need to deal with configuring anything or updates or any of that crap. You buy it, you plug it in, and you can start playing right away and it just works.

Now days though consoles are basically just proprietary computers running proprietary operating systems with proprietary game engines that are heavily cloud based. They're also not so plug and play anymore, you need to setup an account and tie to the cloud and all that BS and also deal with updates and hope their servers never go down. Similar stuff you need to deal with on a PC. The main reason for getting a console now would be for if there's specific games you want to play that aren't available on PC or for social gaming (like in a party type setting) as computer games aren't really suited for that type of game play. Ex: games like multi player (with people in same room) racing games and what not.
To add to this, in the late 80s and early 90s a NES was $150 or so while a SNES was about $200. At the same time a Hewlett-Packard 60mHz Pentium with 4MB of RAM and 100MB hard drive ran about $1500-2000.