Why do Desktop computers have a "Reset" button, but Laptops don't?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious. This just occurred to me. I mean, software can glitch on either platform, and hang things. Why don't Laptops have some sort of small, recessed, "RESET" button. Kind of like WiFi routers do.

Especially, since forced power-off is bad for things like SSDs.

cthulhuiscool

May 31, 2012
it seems odd that they would leave it out, but I imagine the justification is there's less strain of the components from booting a laptop vs a desktop (due to lower amount of power usage) so manufactures figured it'd be good just to leave a power button and have the user flip it on and off rather than redesign with a reset switch in the mix.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
ctrl-alt-dlt or close the lid.

You might post this in the other forum for SFF and laptops. Or you might read the manual that came with your laptod for further info. There may be some option to hold in the power button to force a power off. Some computers do not even have a reset button. In reality if your computer is that buggy, maybe you need to get rid of the bad software. You should never need to reset a computer (in a perfect world, Ha!). Maybe it is the SSD that is the problem.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
My guess would be that it is left out either to save money or because it might be easier to hit by accident compared to a desktop. But I have seen them on laptops before.