Why do dealerships brand cars?

Dec 16, 2005
Why do car dealerships find it necessary to place their logo or name on the back end of every car they sell? I have noticed that a lot of places do this only after you buy the car. They didn't even build the thing.

When I go to Walmart or another store they don't take a branding iron to everything I buy after I check out. What gives them the right to place free advertising on something you purchased, especially if it wasn't on the car when you saw it on the lot.

I think next time I buy a car I will request advertising revenue for my ad space.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep and in most cases you can tell them not to do it. I've always been able to have them not put on or removed.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
my friend bought a jeep wrangler and the tire cover has the whole dealership address on it, and even a map of Long Island and a star on where they are located in LI.

way to ruin a great car, jerks.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: EKKC
my friend bought a jeep wrangler and the tire cover has the whole dealership address on it, and even a map of Long Island and a star on where they are located in LI.

and how does a tire cover ruin a car? Go get a new one

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
cant take them off if they are the plastic logos that they drill holes into the cars body to mount. luckily the dealer i bought my Camry from they used stickers and i had them remove it before i signed the bottom line.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
cant take them off if they are the plastic logos that they drill holes into the cars body to mount. luckily the dealer i bought my Camry from they used stickers and i had them remove it before i signed the bottom line.

They still do that? I haven't seen one that was drilled in for a LONG time. Most dealerships I see only have a license plate frame actually...but there are still quite a few that use the glued on method.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

why should he have to? he just forked out all that money for a jeep, which as pictured, doesn't have all that shit on it.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My sister took her car to a dealership for service once, and while it was there, they replaced her license frame with theirs, as well as branded the tailgate of her SUV. Talk about being pissed.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

why should he have to? he just forked out all that money for a jeep, which as pictured, doesn't have all that shit on it.

Factory Wranglers don't come with any tire cover, IIRC. The dealer gave your friend one for free. If he doesn't like it, then he can fork out the $$ for one he prefers.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
i bought a car from dealership but it only came with two license plate frames. :D

YOGI BERRA FTW! (hilltop nissan in east hanover, nj.)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: JoePa
Why do car dealerships find it necessary to place their logo or name on the back end of every car they sell? I have noticed that a lot of places do this only after you buy the car. They didn't even build the thing.

When I go to Walmart or another store they don't take a branding iron to everything I buy after I check out. What gives them the right to place free advertising on something you purchased, especially if it wasn't on the car when you saw it on the lot.

I think next time I buy a car I will request advertising revenue for my ad space.

walmart does place your stuff into a "branded" bag for you to carry around, which usually gets used as a trash bag in a car or at home, or used to carry other stuff somewhere else you may go. id say you should complain about that too. my truck came with a license plate frame with their name and logo, it was removed as soon as i got it home. i do see a ton of cars rolling around with those original stickers still on them tho, some people must not care either way.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
My sister took her car to a dealership for service once, and while it was there, they replaced her license frame with theirs, as well as branded the tailgate of her SUV. Talk about being pissed.

your kidding right? i would call the cops for vandalism for if a dealer did some crap like that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
just tell them that yo do not want it and will refuse the car if one is on it. its really not that hard.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I hate that crap. I won't do biz.with a dealer that does that.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
The local dealers put a license plate frame, a trunk sticker.. and get this: A giant banner decal across the back window with their website.

You know those ricer ones that span the whole back window? Yeah, one of those.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I just moved to North Carolina from California and I was surprised to see this. I've never seen a dealership do it in California, maybe it's against the law? But here in NC every damn place does it. We just bought my wife a Mazda3 and it had it on there. It was just a vinyl sticker though so it was taken off the minute we got home.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
What?s the point of this thread? You?ve clearly answered your own question in the OP. :confused: