Why do Britons pronounce St. John as "Sinjin"?

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I've never understood why some of the English accents pronounce "idea" and "i-dee-err"

There is not fucking R in the word whatsover

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Not in my American family. :)

Nor mine. Anyway, regional and national variances in English pronunciation are like a little spice sprinkled on a conversation. Enjoy them. My dad's gone but I purposely use things he said around my mom to see if she'd notice (she usually does). Like "Worsh" instead of wash and "wonst" instead of once. He was a hillbilly from the Ozarks :)

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've never understood why some of the English accents pronounce "idea" and "i-dee-err"

There is not fucking R in the word whatsover

Its very similar to the "Wisconsin accent." They like to "warsh" their cars.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Hey, I call Saint Louis, ST Louis ("st" as in stork). Just for kicks.

I'm more disgusted with English saying "arse." It's like they cannot bring themselves to say "ass" so they adulterate it.

They are just wayy folksier than Americans, still.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Al-oooo-MINI-um

No damnit, Clarkson ... its al-U-minum

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
According to my trademarked internal mental cockneytizer, they'd pronounce your handle: shah EE lick UNZ

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Louisville, KY: I've heard the local pronunciation is more like "Looville."

Gloucester, MA, northeast of Boston: "Glawsteh"

Americans.
ruf instead of roof
Probably also a dialect.

"route"
I typically pronounce it "rowte" when talking about the machining operation, or when I'm talking about the process of routing someone somewhere.
"There's a detour there that will 'rowte' you around a small town."

But if it's a path I've already taken, I'll say "root."
"I had to take a detour. That 'root' ended up taking me around a small town."

Last edited:

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Regional dialects of the English language are multidimensional.One of my co-workers is from Newfoundland.She says 'car' like "care".

---- Do yah like dags ?

:D

Clyda

Aug 24, 2019
And what else do they mispronounce?

That pronunciation always annoys me, it probably shouldn't, but it does. That said, it is, as I understand it, only used when St. John is referring to a location name or a person's/family's surname and some think it originates in ancient Norman pronunciation.

Clyda

Aug 24, 2019
Nor mine. Anyway, regional and national variances in English pronunciation are like a little spice sprinkled on a conversation. Enjoy them. My dad's gone but I purposely use things he said around my mom to see if she'd notice (she usually does). Like "Worsh" instead of wash and "wonst" instead of once. He was a hillbilly from the Ozarks :)

I have heard the pronunciation, "Warsh" for wash, and the state of Washington pronounced as "Warshington" by some people who have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of their lives. It is not common, and usually provokes some mirth when it is heard. Since the Pacific Northwest has people who migrated here from easterly areas, including the Ozarks– Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and parts of Kansas, as well as the northern Great Plains states, it is not surprising that odd ball pronunciations and dialects mingle in. I hear it more often in older people... in their late 60s through 70s whose parents settled here a really long time ago. I also hear a midwestern twang that persists in that age group.

Clyda

Aug 24, 2019
Not in my American family. :)

My mother pronounced "roof" as "ruhf," and "roots" as "ruhts." (I added the "h" here to indicate that it was a soft pronunciation, barely noticeable.) She was born in Carterville, Ill. I was born in Portland, Oregon. I pronounce it with the oo sound in both words. It didn't carry on to my generation.