Why do americans keep going to syria as aid workers?

RickBean

Dec 4, 2014
Today, it's very popular to go to countries where radical muslims are self-proclaimed heads of states.
http://www.reliefandreconciliation.org/volunteer-with-us.html
http://www.handinhandforsyria.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/
i understand that many people wanna help poor syrian people, but why they can be such(i'm sorry) stupid? They're going not to help, but to meet their death.
Also, these funds and volounteer organizations are often sponsored by our government and here's reasonable question - Why we have money to spend it on help for Syrian people, but we haven't got money to destroy ISIS terrorists and stop this lawlessness?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Some people are very generous or believe in certain causes, even at the expense of their lives.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Some people are very generous or believe in certain causes, even at the expense of their lives.

Yep.

We are all going to die. No matter how precious you think your life is, you are already dead. The only thing that matters is what you do with the time you have before you end up in the dirt. Some people accept that and choose to do what they think is right even if it shortens their pre-dirt time. Others are too afraid to admit they are going to die and choose to hang on to every second while living in fear and appeasing those in power.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
It's because Americans are insane and have no concept of danger.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Danger yes, truly understanding evil nature... maybe not so much. More than likely this aid worker thought she was safe.... and for the most part her personal safety was not in question except for the chance of a bomb dropping on her head. She probably understood that danger.

But money talks. Likely someone made some good pocket change telling their ISIS buddies that this western femaile was in Syria and where she was at. So they went and nabbed her.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

What people around the world have is no concept of risk evaluation. That would be those who say "they are going to meet their death".

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yep.

We are all going to die. No matter how precious you think your life is, you are already dead. The only thing that matters is what you do with the time you have before you end up in the dirt. Some people accept that and choose to do what they think is right even if it shortens their pre-dirt time. Others are too afraid to admit they are going to die and choose to hang on to every second while living in fear and appeasing those in power.

Of course their are different ways to die. There are very positive, meaningful things you can do with your life that don't stand a reasonable chance of you ending up a head shorter.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Today, it's very popular to go to countries where radical muslims are self-proclaimed heads of states.
http://www.reliefandreconciliation.org/volunteer-with-us.html
http://www.handinhandforsyria.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/
i understand that many people wanna help poor syrian people, but why they can be such(i'm sorry) stupid? They're going not to help, but to meet their death.
Also, these funds and volounteer organizations are often sponsored by our government and here's reasonable question - Why we have money to spend it on help for Syrian people, but we haven't got money to destroy ISIS terrorists and stop this lawlessness?

Screw them all, they assume the risk as 18+ adults presumed mentally competent. I say don't lift a damned finger to rescue them as it puts other lives in danger: informants we use to get intel, the lives of the troops in rescue missions, etc. Plus monetary costs.

I know that's probably unpopular to say but FFS, people, what if it were YOUR kid on that rescue mission and they get shot up trying to land in a hornet's nest of RPGs and small arms fire? Why is the blood of a low-IQ "aid" worker worth more than the blood of a special forces operative?

Now if it were rescuing POWs or something that would be different. If Uncle Sam sents troops into a war zone and they are captured, then Uncle Sam is obligated to rescue them whenever its reasonable given the specific risks involved. But low-IQ "aid" workers who assume the risk of entering a war zone of their own volition? No. Just no.

Dear morons who deliberately go into known war zones: you assumed the risks. Deal with it yourself and don't ask us to put our American troops' lives at risk because you were a low-IQ Darwin Award candidate. I don't care how compassionate you are, there are compassionate people already there who don't stick out like a sore thumb and who can lift boxes just as well as you can. You are adding nothing by being there; lifting boxes is not a special skill. And as for that "aid" you are giving, guess what, Daesh just takes that aid for themselves the moment you leave, has their fill, and THEN gives the leftovers (if any) to civilians--with Daesh logos all over them! (Daesh takes international food aid and then tapes their logos all over the aid before distributing to civilians. See for example http://www.wsj.com/articles/islamic-state-poaches-international-aid-for-syrians-1416158609 and http://www.humanosphere.org/world-politics/2015/02/islamic-state-slaps-branding-u-n-food-aid/)

"The Islamic State is taking a page right out of the humanitarian relief handbook. Or to be more precise, writing on top of it. The World Food Program says images show the Islamist militants are distributing its food aid with the group’s logo on top. They are taking credit for the food aid distributed by the United Nations."

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just tell them and their parents that they are on their own if they visit a Muslim Country and get kidnapped for Ransom.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Just tell them and their parents that they are on their own if they visit a Muslim Country and get kidnapped for Ransom.

What if they are in a non-Muslim country and get kidnapped for ransom?
Or a Muslim country and kidnapped by Presbyterians?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://www.reliefandreconciliation.o...r-with-us.html
http://www.handinhandforsyria.org.uk...ved/volunteer/
For the opposite reasons that your afraid to go.....

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Because as a culture in the US, many have been raised on the belief assisting people in trouble is a worthy cause.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
How else will the American goverment get excuses for regime change? The WMD trick is now used up.

JOKE! :sneaky:

xXandra

Feb 12, 2015
You didn't say "countries where there is a civil war".
YOu just said "Muslim countries"
That's a pity but the most dangerous region is Middle East now, which is a motherland of Islam. I wouldn't travel there in any case, even to the tourist-liked UAE :\

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
Some of the "humanitarian aid workers" in these countries are (under cover)intelligence personnel, their presence create a false illusion of safety for innocent real humanitarian candidates

xXandra

Feb 12, 2015
Some of the "humanitarian aid workers" in these countries are (under cover)intelligence personnel, their presence create a false illusion of safety for innocent real humanitarian candidates
Ouch, too many things from conspiracy theories here :D How do you know about it? Just rumors I guess.
P.S. But it would be interesting to read about ;)

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
"It's because Americans are insane and have no concept of danger."

Electing Obama certainly proved that (he secretly told Iran enriching Uranium 5% was ok - violating US and UN law).

In America kids have more problems with low self esteem due to parents who grew up on sex drugs and rock-n-rap. Then the liberals goose kids into thinking they have to "change the world". That's how you get activist, "critical" journalist who drive/make the news instead of reporting it.

Now this gal who died with ISIS was working for Palestinians and Syrians. She wasn't with Doctors without Borders - her Syrian bf was. She was on radical side and quite full of her self importance. That's ok but US military shouldn't have to risk themselves to save psychotic kids looking to get an image of themselves helping dangerous people

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't think its purely altruistic. I think there is some unfulfilled part of the person that they believe can be remedied by going into a dangerous area to help those that are in need. I have an uncle that is in his 50's. He just had a new born but is wanting to go to the Ukraine on a mission trip. He says he wants to do it to help those people over there, but he's got a daughter right in front of him that needs his help and a wife that he'd leave alone. He is likely feeling too much pressure to be a good father or perhaps simply being a good father and husband isn't enough for him to be fulfilled. He is compelled to focus his attention on a "higher" mission in a far off place, literally the furtherest place he could go from his family.

There are many reasons, but I don't think its always purely to help others.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We have created a world of competition where for so many life has no meaning. The soul craves purpose and meaning. But the purpose and meaning of life is a deeply held secret. You have to pay all that you have to know what it is in the form of the belief in all the lies you were ever told. But those lies are sacred to the ego. Expect the young to continue to go to their deaths since YOU and I refuse to awaken and know how to teach the good news.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
"It's because Americans are insane and have no concept of danger."

Electing Obama certainly proved that (he secretly told Iran enriching Uranium 5% was ok - violating US and UN law).

In America kids have more problems with low self esteem due to parents who grew up on sex drugs and rock-n-rap. Then the liberals goose kids into thinking they have to "change the world". That's how you get activist, "critical" journalist who drive/make the news instead of reporting it.

kool-aid-man.gif