Why didn't the Republicans make the Bush tax cuts permanent?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Anarchist420, Dec 10, 2012.

1. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

No they didn't. Nobody ever actually paid that rate effectively. As we all well know, the top rate is 35% but as the Democrats were so helpful to point out thousands of times per day, Romney didn't pay that rate. So no. Nobody actually paid 70%.

2. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

No but that was the actual starting rate, just like you just claimed people actually pay 35% now...lol

3. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

/facepalm

You're the one who claimed that the country was better when people paid a 70% tax rate, when in fact they did not. Hell, we could enact a 100% tax rate and put enough holes in it to let the wealthy pay an effect 1% if we wanted. Would that make the country better because we had a 100% tax rate?

4. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

Talking in circles bores me. There were far less loopholes when we had the 70% rate than now with our "35"% rate. My point was that the country clearly voted in favor of more taxes when we chose Obama. Whether it is 100% or 4%, as long as it is more, especially on those who can afford it.

We need more revenue and we need it now. If the private sector would get it's shit together and stop screwing over the people in this country that would greatly raise revenue, but we know now that we cannot count on them doing the right thing anymore than we could count on the Republicans to stop being homophobic bigots.

I suppose you are one of those who actually believed Romney's bullshit line about reducing loopholes on top earners. Well hey man, I've got some ocean front in Nebraska if you're interested.

5. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

That is 100% incorrect.

When the rate was dropped a lot "loopholes" were eliminated.

And since then a lot of anti-tax shelter type laws have been passed severely curtailing the abusive schemes so common back then. Likewise with foreign investment activity (.g., see the Passive Foreign Investment Company rules.)

Fern

6. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

You're one of the worst posters this forum has seen in a long time. At least Dave's brand of crazy is amusing. You're just annoyingly unintelligent and wrong.

7. Anarchist420

Anarchist420 Diamond Member

Why didn't they repeal the Byrd rule then?

I had thought I made a thread with the same question before, I'm sorry for posting it again.

8. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

What would you know, Mr. CPA? This clown knows in his heart of hearts that the country would be better off if everything was like it was in the olden days.

Wait, does that make him a conservative?

9. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

The Repubs didn't have enough votes to change the Senate rules. It takes 67 votes to change them. If they couldn't get 60 to avoid a filibuster they sure couldn't 67.

Fern

10. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

I'm sorry, did you just say something?

11. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

I agree. If you want it, pay for it....everyone!

12. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

Coming from a guy with Ron Swarson as his avatar and name like BoberFett, I will take that as a compliment.

Yes, then they found other loopholes to use. Dividends tax needs to go way up and rates in general need to go up. I know you guys probably hate hearing that, but you can blame the private sector and the right wing that has had control of this government pretty much since the 80's and run up a gigantic bill for our kids. They run around spending money like crackheads with a black card, the private sector is so anti-working man it is ridiculous, and the pair of them have put this country into a corner that could be a danger to all of our children and grandchildren if we don't make some drastic changes now.

If you think that is wrong BubbaFett, you are only showing how obliviously partisan you really are.

I am a conservative moron. I thought you knew so much about me with your other "pr0d1gy is the worst poster in this forum" statement.

#37 Pr0d1gy, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

If avatars and pseudonyms are the basis for our believability, I think I'm well ahead of you Mr. Leetspeak-Video-Game-Tard.

Haha, nice edit to your post. Childish edits. Way to prove how right you are.

Good god you're unintelligent.

14. shira

shira Diamond Member

You're referring to the difference between the CPI as currently used to adjust SS payments and tax brackets and Medicare/Medicaid payments and the so-called Chained CPI, which would be used instead of the CPI.

The Chained CPI attempts to model the real-world purchasing behavior of people confronted with inflation. For example, the existing CPI assumes a person will purchase the same basket of goods and services over time. The Chained CPI assumes that as the price of a good or service increases, a person will try to find a lower-priced substitute Over many years, the difference between the two measures of inflation gets larger and larger, hence the claimed $300 billion in savings over 10 years by adopting the Chained CPI in place of the current CPI.

But note that that $30 difference in SS will grow over time, and the same person's taxes will increase over time, too, because the boundaries of tax brackets will move up more slowly.

Converting to the chained CPI is probably a good idea, but the difference between it and the current CPI is not going to be trivial 100 years from now.

15. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

its about huge boobs

16. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

i was going to add something but i forgot

17. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

Well hopefully we would correct that before it begins to become a problem, but I could live with it for a decade or two for sure. I'm not sure what the percentage difference would be 10-20 years from now but as long as it isn't severe then I see no reason not to cut that little extra off.

Dude, nobody cares what you think. Ever.

18. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

The worst was when democrats, republican and Clinton slashed Capital gains tax by almost 1/3 FOREVER.