Why did Joseph Campbell ignore Tolkien?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Originally posted by: glen
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: glen
WTF???
Who on earth has not heard of these guys?
Where did you go to school?

dude they are 12

what do you expect?

because if you don't pay attention to fantasy writers, you have to be 12
If you are 12 and don't know who Joseph Campbell is, it is ok.
If you are 12 and don't know who Tolkien is, it is not ok.
If you have been to college and still do not know who Joseph Campbell is, get a tuition refund.

I guess I need a refund. :(

That makes two of us...
rolleye.gif

Currency Lad

Jul 14, 2019
he also did alot of work after his stuff was published. IE starwars, im supprised he didnt say anything about tolkiens work

George Lucas met Joseph Campbell at a conference in LA in 1985 and invited him to see the entire (and already completed) Star Wars trilogy at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch then. Prior to that, Campbell hadn't bothered to see a film for 40 years! Subsequently, Campbell sadly passed away in 1987.

So, at no point was Campbell a consultant on any of the Star Wars films (although he did say he enjoyed them). Lucas, on the other hand, was familiar with Campbell's work since his college days, and Campbell's most famous work The Hero With a Thousand Faces helped inform the writing of Star Wars.

It's just a pity Lucas had forgotten anything Campbell's writings had taught him by the time he came to write the prequels.

This information is contained in the first episode of the Power of Myth series which is available on YouTube.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Lol fifteen year necro with factoid. Nicely done. And no, I still don't know who Joseph Campbell is. And I had a minor in English as part of my BSc.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
He played with The Beach Boys and went on to have a solo career in country music.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Campbell played on recordings by the Beach Boys, Claude King, Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, the Monkees, Nancy Sinatra, Merle Haggard, Jan and Dean, Frank Sinatra, Ronnie Dove, Phil Spector and Elvis Presley.

From December 1964 to early March 1965, Campbell was a touring member of the Beach Boys, filling in for Brian Wilson, playing bass guitar and singing falsetto harmonies.
- Wiki

Eat your knowledge.

Currency Lad

Jul 14, 2019
Lol fifteen year necro with factoid. Nicely done. And no, I still don't know who Joseph Campbell is. And I had a minor in English as part of my BSc.

Yeah, probably should have checked the age of the thread. Still the Power of Myth series (old though it is) is still up on YouTube if you're interested.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, probably should have checked the age of the thread. Still the Power of Myth series (old though it is) is still up on YouTube if you're interested.

One lecture from a visiting Tolkien scholar was enough thank you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I have a major in English (writing and rhetoric), and I think the only time Campbell was a part of any curriculum for me was ~10th grade, maybe.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
"Evil Dead" was a good low budget movie but I'm not a fan of his acting at all. Even the bad acting is not fun. We was good as the side kick in some TV series about an assassin type guy IIRC.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Evil Dead" was a good low budget movie but I'm not a fan of his acting at all. Even the bad acting is not fun. We was good as the side kick in some TV series about an assassin type guy IIRC.
Don't bring me down, Bruce.