Why did Eckerd Pharmacy fail?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I just entered Junior High School, when it failed around 2007 if I am correct.

I always loved going to Eckerd Pharmacy when I was in elementary school around the turn of Halloween, since their non-pharmaceutical kids items and also their electronic Halloween decorations were the best and most fun. My dad also I think always went there. All I remember was that it was bought out completely by Rite Aid.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
b12b45190b14cfd880155c252c5c8e54e5c35cbc7258f47ce652e8a6f8b783f5.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I just entered Junior High School, when it failed around 2007 if I am correct.

I always loved going to Eckerd Pharmacy when I was in elementary school around the turn of Halloween, since their non-pharmaceutical kids items and also their electronic Halloween decorations were the best and most fun. My dad also I think always went there. All I remember was that it was bought out completely by Rite Aid.
And now Rite Aid has been bought out by Walgreens. Businesses are increasingly being consolidated together from multiple smaller companies to singular larger ones with less in the way of competition.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
And now Rite Aid has been bought out by Walgreens. Businesses are increasingly being consolidated together from multiple smaller companies to singular larger ones with less in the way of competition.

Is Walgreens going to remove the Rite Aid name completely? Rite Aid seems to be the only drug store chain that has a name that some how relates in some way to medicine.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Lol no, nothing related to school at all.

I just remembered the word.

One of my personality traits is that i'm a very curious person.

Well good for you then.

I used to be inquisitive as well, but now I'm just old and bitter ;)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
That deal was not approved. Walgreens is buying 1932 Rite Aide Stores. Rite Aide still exists as a separate company, but with less stores.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-buy-fewer-rite-aid-stores-wins-u-s-approval

Wow, Charter can get approval to buy up Time Warner for $65B but they block Walgreens from buying Rite Aid??? The pharmacy market is one of the few markets that mom and pops can still compete in, we have quite a few mom and pop pharmacies around here.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, Charter can get approval to buy up Time Warner for $65B but they block Walgreens from buying Rite Aid??? The pharmacy market is one of the few markets that mom and pops can still compete in, we have quite a few mom and pop pharmacies around here.
They got blocked, their second offer which was to split rite aid with another competitor called Freds was rejected, their third offer to buy 2200 stores was rejected, but, their 4th offer for a smaller chunk of rite aid was allowed.

Personally, I'd love if there was a way to keep the sizes/scales of all the businesses down, but, there are just too many multinationals. It's hard for a large or medium to large to be competitive against international competition, so, big companies grow bigger to stop from being eaten by the even bigger fish in the pond.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Eckerd was bought by Rite Aid, but, before that, they sold a number of stores to CVS.
I do not believe Walgreens acquired any eckerd stores.
er, yeah, sorry, rite-aid, not walgreens. i'd just read that wiki page too.

i really can't tell which drug store i'm in when i'm there. i was referred over to a different walgreens when the local one didn't have a med i needed. drove over to that intersection, pulled into the lot, walked into the store all the way to the back, and was surprised when the pharmacist said, "welcome to CVS, how can i help you." the walgreens was kitty-corner.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
er, yeah, sorry, rite-aid, not walgreens. i'd just read that wiki page too.

i really can't tell which drug store i'm in when i'm there. i was referred over to a different walgreens when the local one didn't have a med i needed. drove over to that intersection, pulled into the lot, walked into the store all the way to the back, and was surprised when the pharmacist said, "welcome to CVS, how can i help you." the walgreens was kitty-corner.

Some customers surely got frustrated by the buyout process and would have gone to Walgreens. Any time Company A buys Company B, Company C gets some of Company B's business. Not all the customers from Company B will want to shop at Company A.