why did CNN turn off its comments section?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
All news sites should turn off comments.

If the readers want to hur dur dur over said news, they can link the article to their facebook, twitter, ragingmoron accounts and bbbbllaaargh away.

Nyquil

Aug 19, 2014
CNN aren't the only ones doing this right now. Makes me suspicious to say the least.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The open comments section of any news site is basically an open sewer of ignorance, racism, and trolling. I'm surprised anyone still has them.

tellitlikeitis

Aug 20, 2014
CNN is the US government propaganda mouth piece. Who would want to comment on any of their pre-approved stories with the US government terrorist spin on it any how. A sheep site and a pathetic one at that

Justsomedude81

Aug 22, 2014
Well at least it isn't just me. Made me paranoid that I could not see the comment section anymore. Reading them, to me is like eating really spicy food. I keep doing it even though I know how it effects me. o_O

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Because when you find the real root of any issue dealing with the middle east then find the conflict was based on a lie/deception then all hell would break lose in America.

So I am sure Psyops from the pentagon advised them to close the comment section down just because certain real truth were coming out while the reporters kept cheerleading for the opposition for eternal wars and the end time cults.

The above is one side of it and the other side of it is dealing with immature jerks who did not like the real answers they found in the comments section because it violated their faith in the new world order.

So yeah kinda sad when the main mod is one of those factions who love this war and loves seeing people dying for a cause that has nothing to do with America even though USA blood is shed for them.

So yeah. Sick evil cults are the main cause of this and I have data that can back up my claim on this.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Because social contagion.

CNN wants to needs to control the message period. They don't want to be or allow for a platform for public messages/board.

Feb 4, 2009
Lots of foil hats here. We have riots and middle east stories that both attract a bunch of racist ass hats. They are tired of cleaning up the forums (I assume).
Its like inviting someone to your house and they get drunk and yell at other guests. Are you going to keep inviting that guy to your house? Will you other guests want to come over again?
Forums are not public space, a company owns them if discussion gets too crass & disgusting they aren't obligated to keep the forum open.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Because people crap all over some stories with nfsw for a site that CNN probably wants to stay safe for work.

that's my take

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The open comments section of any news site is basically an open sewer of ignorance, racism, and trolling. I'm surprised anyone still has them.
They keep them for the page views and click throughs, otherwise I'm sure that they all would get rid of them.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
CNN is the US government propaganda mouth piece. Who would want to comment on any of their pre-approved stories with the US government terrorist spin on it any how. A sheep site and a pathetic one at that
Teh conspiracies!

Nov 25, 2013
Because when you find the real root of any issue dealing with the middle east then find the conflict was based on a lie/deception then all hell would break lose in America.

So I am sure Psyops from the pentagon advised them to close the comment section down just because certain real truth were coming out while the reporters kept cheerleading for the opposition for eternal wars and the end time cults.

The above is one side of it and the other side of it is dealing with immature jerks who did not like the real answers they found in the comments section because it violated their faith in the new world order.

So yeah kinda sad when the main mod is one of those factions who love this war and loves seeing people dying for a cause that has nothing to do with America even though USA blood is shed for them.

So yeah. Sick evil cults are the main cause of this and I have data that can back up my claim on this.

Stewox's lost brother?

Feb 4, 2009

Please break out that data I need to see it

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've seen article comments. People write horribly nasty things there.
Closing it was probably smart.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The problem with allowing commenting at news sites is that the responses to a controversial story bring out the nuts who make this country look like it should be reclassified as a mental institution. There are tons of places on the internet where people can let their freak flag fly about a particular news story. I think news sites should be free to block comments whenever they feel they need to.

Except Faux Nooz, they need to keep their comments section wide open. I love reading the comments there as it's like watching a clown car of crazy that never ends.

alfred123

Aug 23, 2014
I don't think so.

This situation, in my opinion, brings about vast, vast, vast overwhelming numbers of opinions based on emotions rather than intellect and reasonable discussion.

Comments are disabled most likely because the majority are little more than childish shouting and name calling.

I don't fault cnn at all.

You might because you have an opinion you believe the world is itching to hear and dammit you want your opinion heard! Well, guess what, you have a gazillion other places around the internet to voice your opinion.

Nobody cares that you cannot voice your opinion in the cnn comment section.

Plenty of people care that you can not voice your opinion on cnn. I found it very entertaining and american. It is sad that because some people get easily offended at differing opinions, they insist message boards be shut down. Debate is healthy and in our history, it has always been heated and sometimes personal. Funny it is usually liberals bashing free speech most and they are supposed to be most open and tolerant. Guarantee you the people saying it is good to close comments on heated topics all vote democrat. I'd be the person who posted what I responded to voted for Obama.

alfred123

Aug 23, 2014
The problem with allowing commenting at news sites is that the responses to a controversial story bring out the nuts who make this country look like it should be reclassified as a mental institution. There are tons of places on the internet where people can let their freak flag fly about a particular news story. I think news sites should be free to block comments whenever they feel they need to.

Except Faux Nooz, they need to keep their comments section wide open. I love reading the comments there as it's like watching a clown car of crazy that never ends.

If you don't like comments, don't read them. But don't pretend to be a superior being who has to protect us normal folk form heated debate. I stand by my guarantee that people calling for closing comments are generally 100% liberal. The most intolerant group of people since Nazi's. Hence, close comments sections.

alfred123

Aug 23, 2014
Lots of foil hats here. We have riots and middle east stories that both attract a bunch of racist ass hats. They are tired of cleaning up the forums (I assume).
Its like inviting someone to your house and they get drunk and yell at other guests. Are you going to keep inviting that guy to your house? Will you other guests want to come over again?
Forums are not public space, a company owns them if discussion gets too crass & disgusting they aren't obligated to keep the forum open.

Absurd analogy. This country was founded on the right to offend. The right to have a different opinion even it is is ridiculous. I use to think liberals stood for freedom, but they don't. They are the most intolerant group of people I have ever known. I bet you voted for Obama, right?

alfred123

Aug 23, 2014
The big draw of CNN's website for me was the comments section. I found it very entertaining. I have definitely decreased my usage of the site with the comments being removed.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
If you don't like comments, don't read them. But don't pretend to be a superior being who has to protect us normal folk form heated debate. I stand by my guarantee that people calling for closing comments are generally 100% liberal. The most intolerant group of people since Nazi's. Hence, close comments sections.

Where did I say anything about stopping debate? Wingnut yahoos like you love to whine when anyone disagrees with you while you act as if they are trying to oppress your sorry ass. I think conservatives like you are pissed at everything you read because you don't understand a fucking thing being said. Liberals may like to over-analyze everything to insanity but conservatives can't understand any written word with more than four letters in it (thus the success of Faux Nooz). Go debate your ass off, there a whole fucking internet out there to do it on! All I was saying is that if news sites want to deliver news only then that is their choice to make. I think it's a good one because I NEVER read the comments at news sites (except Faux Nooz, but only when extremely bored and purely for entertainment reasons!) because the cesspool the comments sections are.

Faux is just pure nuts, so I enjoy that though. Regarding liberal or conservative, I'm a registered, small 'i' independent; no party affiliation. Never had one, never will. I don't get to vote in primaries so I get to choose between what the members of each party thinks is their best (HA!) and vote for the one who can talk without drooling. No party is guaranteed to get my vote because I vote for the least worst candidate of the top two rated to win (usually R or D). Unfortunately for Republicans they're too fucking crazy to get my vote right now though the guy running against our current D congressman wants me to send him my urine!

I would piss on a Republican (but not if they were on fire) before I would vote for one right now and they only have themselves to blame for it.

I love the Nazi reference, it's really fresh and original!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Absurd analogy. This country was founded on the right to offend. The right to have a different opinion even it is is ridiculous. I use to think liberals stood for freedom, but they don't. They are the most intolerant group of people I have ever known. I bet you voted for Obama, right?
Then, seriously, why are you so up in arms about being offended?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Because the story could be about 2 kittens befriending a dog and the comments would be:

"Inter-species Obama liberal cats!!!, now marriage is over!"