why did CNN turn off its comments section?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i've noticed that almost all CNN stories related to Ferguson/Brown or Israel/Palestine are no longer allowing commenting. They've either been removed or turned off completely. i'm sure other news sites are following the same pattern. is it because the number of enraged people has finally surpassed the number of paid provacateurs? is the push for the archaic, one-way communication being bought back to stop free thinking people from posting their intellectual opinions?

i personally skip articles and go straight to the comments. :(

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
People have twitter and/or forums like this to more freely express themselves. News orgs need not endorse our malady.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
is the push for the archaic, one-way communication being bought back to stop free thinking people from posting their intellectual opinions?

I don't think so.

This situation, in my opinion, brings about vast, vast, vast overwhelming numbers of opinions based on emotions rather than intellect and reasonable discussion.

Comments are disabled most likely because the majority are little more than childish shouting and name calling.

I don't fault cnn at all.

You might because you have an opinion you believe the world is itching to hear and dammit you want your opinion heard! Well, guess what, you have a gazillion other places around the internet to voice your opinion.

Nobody cares that you cannot voice your opinion in the cnn comment section.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think so.

This situation, in my opinion, brings about vast, vast, vast overwhelming numbers of opinions based on emotions rather than intellect and reasonable discussion.

Comments are disabled most likely because the majority are little more than childish shouting and name calling.

I don't fault cnn at all.

You might because you have an opinion you believe the world is itching to hear and dammit you want your opinion heard! Well, guess what, you have a gazillion other places around the internet to voice your opinion.

Nobody cares that you cannot voice your opinion in the cnn comment section.

Pretty much. It's better to just disallow comments than to attempt censorship. Even if one was completely fair/balanced at censorship, that in itself would just add to the din of nefarious comments.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
my guess is that the vast majority were going to have to be removed by admins, and rather than doing that just stop the comments all together.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Because people who would post on foxnews couldn't remember how to spell foxnews. CNN was dumbed down just enough for them to find it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
People were having such mature conversations and making such well thought out, lucid points that it was threatening to overshadow the actual articles.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
My guess would be people like the OP having turned it into the equivalent of YouTube comments: IE: a stream of pure useless garbage.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
My guess would be people like the OP having turned it into the equivalent of YouTube comments: IE: a stream of pure useless garbage.

Zaap, why did you have to resort to personal attacks rather than focus on the topic at hand? the community would appreciate if you stop the tomfoolery and proactively participate in a civilized manner.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Taken from one of my favorite web comics ( http://theoatmeal.com/comics/making_things ), similar enough situation, same main point - comment sections are not always mature...

9a4j6p.jpg

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Zaap, why did you have to resort to personal attacks rather than focus on the topic at hand? the community would appreciate if you stop the tomfoolery and proactively participate in a civilized manner.

Yeah sure, let's all just pretend you're not upset because you can't go scream ZIONIST NAZI!!!!! 10,000x on cnn comments anymore.

row

May 28, 2013
"why did CNN turn off its comments section?"

wonder if it has something to do with their totally one sided reporting?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
is the push for the archaic, one-way communication being bought back to stop free thinking people from posting their intellectual opinions?

i personally skip articles and go straight to the comments. :(

I skip the comments due to the inanity.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
It might've had something to do with trolls that don't even bother to read the article and jump straight to the comments.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If I want comments I'll go to 4chan. At least there I know if someone posts something like "Hitler did nothing wrong" they're probably not being serious, unlike CNN and other 'straight' sites.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
The Orange County Register changed their commenting section to non-anonymous during the Kelly Thomas aftermath. Apparently there were too many posts that expressed opposition to murder even if the murder was committed by a cop and the victim was just some smelly worthless mentally ill homeless man. Can't be having any of that.