why couldn't English windows handle foreign file names?!!

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
Got a CD that contains mp3 files titled in some kind of eastern characters and I can't even handle them. All it does is give me a file system error. Why the heck won't windows let me handle those file? It is understandable that it morphs, since English font doesn't support this, but I can't even change the file name since I can't do anything with it in first place.

On Macintosh, characters would be morphed, but you can still handle the file.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
You should be able to go into DOS mode and change the file names that way. I had to do it on a few MP3's that I also could not get to work at all.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< You should be able to go into DOS mode and change the file names that way. I had to do it on a few MP3's that I also could not get to work at all. >>

It still doesn't work when I want to download it. Shouldn't Windows be able to do this? Come on.. Mac OS 7.5 can even do it. I can start a download by resuming from a blank file, but it doesn't work if I have to remote queuene it

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Win2K and WinXP support DBCS characters, but Win9x/ME does not because it lacks proper unicode support.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< Win2K and WinXP support DBCS characters, but Win9x/ME does not because it lacks proper unicode support. >>

Meaning it is inferior to Mac OS 7.5 when it comes to handling files named with foreign characters....

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Meaning it is inferior to Mac OS 7.5 when it comes to handling files named with foreign characters....

Win9X is inferior to a lot of things in a lot of ways...