Why conservatives love stand your ground?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'll invoke the Fox News m.o. "some people say". I guess its not hard to figure out. At least one of the reasons.

A Tampa Bay Times analysis of nearly 200 cases — the first to examine the role of race in "stand your ground" — found that people who killed a black person walked free 73 percent of the time, while those who killed a white person went free 59 percent of the time.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ole-in-floridas-stand-your-ground-law/1233152

Within the article is a link to spreadsheet showing the actual cases.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Easy answer: there are more violent crimes committed by black criminals. Therefore, more justifiable self-defense (or SYG) cases involve black criminals.

Duh.

Why do you oppose SYG? Try to answer without mentioning race...

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I'll invoke the Fox News m.o. "some people say". I guess its not hard to figure out. At least one of the reasons.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ole-in-floridas-stand-your-ground-law/1233152

In other words you believe the issue of black oppression is the ultimate deciding factor in everything a conservative does and thinks.

You're always going to believe what you want to believe, I suppose.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Stand your ground is a good law. It gained notoriety for it's possible relationship to the Zimmerman case, but notice he was acquitted without having to use it as his defense.

Laws that protect your ability to keep living are good, mmkay.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The act of Self Defense is best decided on a case by case basis, and should not be generalized. However, the general act should not be criminalized. Applying "duty to retreat" adds problems to specific circumstances - OTOH, being able to avoid the extra step to diffuse a deadly situation can also result in abuse.

Net result is don't f'ing generalize life and death situations.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's about time the black community takes responsibility for themselves and solves their own problems. For example, if you are black, instead of a dark hoodie wear a Hello Kitty shirt. Ain't no jury in the world EVER going to believe someone in a Hello Kitty shirt was life threatening. Problem solved.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Statistics can be troublesome.

The quotes quoted here don't take into account the specifics of the situations. What sort of person was shooting and what sort of person was being shot? I mean more than just the races - I mean was the person shooting a criminal? Was the person shot a criminal? Were both? There's a lot that these stats don't tell us.

What I've also seen was that SYG has actually been successfully invoked by a higher percentage and/or number of black people than white.

So, it pays to really look at the facts rather than just one little skewed representation.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

and time to own homer again

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/b...and-your-ground-law-at-disproportionate-rate/

Blacks benefit from Florida's stand your ground law at a disproportionate rate.

IE based on the black population of Florida, more blacks get off because of SYG then whites.

Apr 27, 2012

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/b...and-your-ground-law-at-disproportionate-rate/

IE based on the black population of Florida, more blacks get off because of SYG then whites.

Good job Michal. homer is one of the biggest race baiters here and it's people like him who are part of what's wrong with the country.

The idea that Conservatives are racist is just sheer stupidity when liberalism has totally destroyed the black family but that's too inconvenient for the moronic OP so he just blames white people for his problems.

Another fail by the OP and he once again gets owned hard.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
race-card-expired.png

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

You are pathetic and feeble minded.

Blacks commit more crime than whites, its not a race thing, or a "racist" thing (which the word racist makes no fucking sense either, if you want blacks and whites to be equal, why create a word that claims that they are a different race of creatures..............arent we all part of the human race?) its just a fact, more crimes are committed in black communities than in white.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good job Michal. homer is one of the biggest race baiters here and it's people like him who are part of what's wrong with the country.

The idea that Conservatives are racist is just sheer stupidity when liberalism has totally destroyed the black family but that's too inconvenient for the moronic OP so he just blames white people for his problems.

Another fail by the OP and he once again gets owned hard.

I endorse this message!

Nov 8, 2012
You progressives really are one trick ponies huh? So pathetic

EVERYTHING MUST BE COMPLETELY EVEN AT ALL GIVEN TIMES.

AT NO POINT CAN WE HAVE ANYTHING BUT STATISTICALLY EVEN NUMBERS.

ExCEPT FOR THOSE FACTUAL ONES CONCERNING BLACK PEOPLE COMMITING MORE CRIMES, YOU CAN KEEP THOSE. ACTUALLY, DON'T MENTION THEM. THEY DONT EXIST.

NEITHER DO FACTUAL EVIDENCE IN FAVOR OF GEORGE ZIMMERMAN.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Statistics can be troublesome.

The quotes quoted here don't take into account the specifics of the situations. What sort of person was shooting and what sort of person was being shot? I mean more than just the races - I mean was the person shooting a criminal? Was the person shot a criminal? Were both? There's a lot that these stats don't tell us.

What I've also seen was that SYG has actually been successfully invoked by a higher percentage and/or number of black people than white.

So, it pays to really look at the facts rather than just one little skewed representation.

This is Homer we're talking about. That aint gonna happen.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

No need to quote another article. From his own article
The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.

• Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.

• In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.

• Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

A Tampa Bay Times analysis of nearly 200 cases — the first to examine the role of race in "stand your ground" — found that people who killed a black person walked free 73 percent of the time, while those who killed a white person went free 59 percent of the time.

From the same article, 3 paragraphs down from what OP quoted:

The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.

• Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.

• In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.

• Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.

So OP, is your proposal that we do away with a law that appears to disproportionately help blacks from being convicted of capital crimes? If you'd prefer more of them go to jail that's fine, just wanted you to say that outright rather than arguing for roundabout ways of making that happen like repealing Stand Your Ground laws.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Aw man, you broke our cover. Now everyone's going to know we're not in favor of stand your ground because it aligns with our principles of self-defense...no, we really just love to kill black people.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The act of Self Defense is best decided on a case by case basis, and should not be generalized. However, the general act should not be criminalized. Applying "duty to retreat" adds problems to specific circumstances - OTOH, being able to avoid the extra step to diffuse a deadly situation can also result in abuse.

Net result is don't f'ing generalize life and death situations.
One of the most reasonable posts I've seen on this subject, and it only took 7 posts into this thread. That's an improvement for P&N.

I find it more than a little unsettling to agree with michal, but he got you pretty hard here Homer. In fact information in your own link supports this point which says that basically you're more likely to get off using SYG if you kill a black person over a white person, but you're also more likely to get off using SYG if you are yourself a black person.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
From the same article, 3 paragraphs down from what OP quoted:

So OP, is your proposal that we do away with a law that appears to disproportionately help blacks from being convicted of capital crimes? If you'd prefer more of them go to jail that's fine, just wanted you to say that outright rather than arguing for roundabout ways of making that happen like repealing Stand Your Ground laws.
Wow I didn't realize he in fact owned himself with his very own link.

sci guy

Jun 16, 2013
It's about time the black community takes responsibility for themselves and solves their own problems. For example, if you are black, instead of a dark hoodie wear a Hello Kitty shirt. Ain't no jury in the world EVER going to believe someone in a Hello Kitty shirt was life threatening. Problem solved.

:D