Why can't we all get along?

Jun 8, 2005
It seems as though everyone on the right and left are at eachother's throats. I think its possible but people HAVE TO STOP YELLING AT EACHOTHER.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
If the left would just accept defeat and quit with their conspiracy theory crap, it'd be a good step forward.

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Stratago
It seems as though everyone on the right and left are at eachother's throats. I think its possible but people HAVE TO STOP YELLING AT EACHOTHER.

I'm independent.. I get to yell at everybody! :D

martinez

May 10, 2005
When we start thinking exclusively for ourselves instead of listening to the loudest proponents of both supposed sides.

Stealth edit : ^^beat me to it.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Because the whiney extremists on both sides are the most vocal.

Agreed...

It's like playing the race card. You should never have to do it, but it's just so goddamn easy. Whenever Joe Right Wing argues with Rainbow Lefty, Rainbow Lefty can shout "You're just a fanatic whacko right-wing conservative Christian."

And, Joe Right Wing can say, "You're just poor artist on welfare."

IMO, educated discussion is getting harder and harder to find.

Jun 8, 2005
I believe that it is hard to think for yourself when it comes to politics. In order to base your oppinions on something you need facts, but where the facts are coming from make a big difference. I feel like both sides distort the facts to better suit their needs. The left makes the right out to look like pigs/nazis/whatever, and the right takes what they need from those statements to draw conclusions about the left. Both bad policies and only lead to further bickering.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You have 2 groups wanting to take the country in Opposite directions and neither wants to compromise. Just be glad people are only yelling at each other.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
because politicians have discovered that it's easier to get elected by dividing the nation, rather than uniting it.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
because politicians have discovered that it's easier to get elected by dividing the nation, rather than uniting it.

Yup. It's a real failure of leadership (on both sides). Bush made some noises right after he won about uniting the country, but it quickly degenerated back to the ntdz-ish approach of blaming and generalizing the other side.

ExpertNovice

Mar 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ntdz
If the left would just accept defeat and quit with their conspiracy theory crap, it'd be a good step forward.

I'm sure you meant to say if both sides would agree that a conspiracy exists and the plan is to divide us so that we can be controlled by the government rather than controlling them.

Even if the "conspiracy" is not organized.

Right?

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
And the members of the religious right who have hijacked the Republican party are going to get it if they keep going on the same path (like the Schiavo fiasco). More people are going independent or Libertarian - they don't want to put up with these big-government Republicans anymore.

It's hard to respect people who don't debate based on facts, who always demand that you prove the negative of their assertion (instead of proving their assertion), and who don't seem to use any semblance of rationality (especially on topics like Gay Marriage).

NeenerNeener

Jun 8, 2005
"If the left would just accept defeat and quit with their conspiracy theory crap, it'd be a good step forward."

Defeat? If one side wins, then we'll only have a one party system. Then we'd be even more screwed. We need both parties to balance each other out, if not more!

A car missing the brakes is dangerous. A car missing the gas is useless.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ValuedCustomer
Originally posted by: Stratago

I'm independent.. I get to yell at everybody! :D
Same here :thumbsup:

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: NeenerNeener
"If the left would just accept defeat and quit with their conspiracy theory crap, it'd be a good step forward."

Defeat? If one side wins, then we'll only have a one party system. Then we'd be even more screwed. We need both parties to balance each other out, if not more!

Now are the Republicans or the Democrats the breaks? ;)

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
i think a lot of it goes back to bush's "you are either with us or against us", labelling dissentors as the crazed leftists and such.

look above at NeenerX2's comment...they are testosterone-laden supremists (the right).

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005

Why should the left (or the right) ever accept defeat? Another election is always just around the corner.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
911 had a major impact on the poltical landscape of this country. Instead of having a lame duck president with a domestic agenda that was going nowhere, we have a wartime president and congress with a hawkish attitude that is looking to cement America's superpower status in the world through brute force. Given this scenario, it is only natural for the gap to widen between the parties.
On top of the that, we have an ultra conservative, moralist party in charge that is rolling back the clock on scientific and technological funding, a party that is returning to a more tradionalist mindset. These changes have caused a rift in society between those that want us to roll back the clock to a more Christian society and those that want to continue to move America forward.
What this country needs now is either a split government in power, or a moderate leader, like McCain that understands the value of progressive societies and seeks to maintain our security.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: NeenerNeener

What I meant by accept defeat was quit the negativety and harping about all the same things over and over and over again from the election. Instead of bitching about all the things the Republicans are doing wrong, come up with your own proposals.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
While I consider myself a moderate, I simply can't stand some of the things that the extreme right have been doing lately. Like their anti-gay stuff, and manipulating the public to go to war on Iraq. (had they been straightforward, I probably would have supported the war).

But I still don't like the left's idea of a bigger government and less personal control. But then again, the current Republican administration hasn't done a great job either.

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: EatSpam

Why should the left (or the right) ever accept defeat? Another election is always just around the corner.

Yeah and I'm so happy that bush won't be on the ballet next time around...

:)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
bUSH HAS CAUSED THE DEATHS OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT LIVES BECAUSE HE IS AN IMBECILE.

tHERE ARE REASONS TO YELL.

rOME WASN'T SAVED BECAUSE THE GEESE WERE QUIET.