Why can't they make intelligent horror movies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 4, 2005
They were told to kill everyone in a certain location. Everyone. They were shooting people who were obviously not infected. They were doing everything possible to make sure the infection doesn't spread. Like with the wife/mother, it was possible to have a dormant carrier, so they couldn't take the risk of leaving anyone alive.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I wish we could go back to when most horror movies were still considered b-rated. They never make that stuff anymore.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
They were told to kill everyone in a certain location. Everyone. They were shooting people who were obviously not infected. They were doing everything possible to make sure the infection doesn't spread. Like with the wife/mother, it was possible to have a dormant carrier, so they couldn't take the risk of leaving anyone alive.

:thumbsup:

At least someone was paying attention to the film.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

:thumbsup:

At least someone was paying attention to the film.

Hell, I didn't even watch the movie and I figured that out.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
28 weeks really pushed overboard my limits of plausibility. And plausibility is a big part in getting oneself immersed in a movie enough that you can really enjoy it.

And when will they make horror movies that do not rely heavily on the 'ol extended quiet scene that sudden blows up into flashing fast movement and loud ass sound effects to scare you? I want to be truly scared, not just get jumped.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
Hell, I didn't even watch the movie and I figured that out.

LOL, I'm not saying it was rocket science, it's just some of the questions in this thread are the typical "I don't get it" comments when everything has already been explained.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
28 weeks was a poor followup to 28 days.

I thought 28 days was really good and took the zombie\infection bit in a new interesting direction. After 28 days I was left with new questions and thoughts about the story, which is a good thing. 28 weeks didn't carry the same inventiveness, and had no new questions to ask so we were left with nothing besides a tired story poorly delivered. They tried to spice it up by making the father an entirely unreddemable, unredeemed character and that just left me feeling sad....

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: djheater
They tried to spice it up by making the father an entirely unreddemable, unredeemed character and that just left me feeling sad....
Isn't that kind of the point? That the situation is so fucked up that the end result is sad, with no redemption? I mean, it's a zombie movie, not a feel good movie.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Here are some of my quirks with the movie:

Spoilers Below

Leaving the qaurantine area is a big offense yet it took the military forever to assemble a unit to stop the 2 kids?
Maintenance guy has access to even high military security locations.
Not even one person to guard the surviving mother. Atleast have a video camera in the room?
Locking all civilians in an unsecure area. Maybe they should of lockdown everyone in their rooms instead?
Apache attack helicopter couldn't even gun down a car?
Boy slips down escalator and instantly went out of hearing range. Did he fall through some time portal at the bottom?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I saw this at a movie theater and it was enjoyable, but it did have a lot of stupid moments/plot holes. Yes, those kids were annoying, especially the boy; I wished death on both of them. Like others mentioned, the intro was awesome.

I heard The Orphanage is a pretty good horror film. I believe it is a Mexican film, but I heard it's great.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
If they did Silent Hill right, it would've made a great movie. Until then, Jacob's Ladder, I think, was a good one.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Exactly.

I agree with the others that had a problem with the kids escaping... two kids can get out of there that fscking easily? Gimme a break.

I just watched it last night, and liked 28 Days Later much better. Pretty much the only thing I liked about this one was the guy in the helicopter (Michael from Lost, haha) mowing down those zombies in the field, that was sweet.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Well there intelligent horror flix but like even other types of movies they are far between. Most read when they want to be inspired. For movies, most are looking to be entertained and not have to think.

American cinema is much different than many other countries. We almost require happy endings and the plots spelled out. In other countries, the ending typically is not 'happy' and more time is spent on character development instead of spoonfeeding the viewer what's happening and reminding them with flashbacks at every plot change.

I take my movies for that value...