Why can't the western media get over their racism for Indian people?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
What does a mission to Mars benefit a nation filled with poverty and violence? Couldn't some of that money be better spent on, I don't know, education a culture that gang raping a women is frowned upon, even if she is in the lowest caste?

Or, how about they spent half that space program on low cost public housing for the massive amount of squatters? Or building an education system that can support betterment of these people?

Nope. Mars or bust! And, if anyone criticizes us, we scream racism at the top of our lungs!

First of all India isn't a nation "filled" with poverty and violence. They surely exist, but it isn't filled with them.

Second, how exactly do you educate a criminal that a crime is a bad thing? Do you think the criminal doesn't know that? He does. He just doesn't care!

Third, we are doing a lot to improve housing, education, public infrastructure and raise living standards. However the point of those articles is that we should stop our space research until India becomes a first world country where nobody is poor anymore. That's what i am arguing against.

What does a mission to Mars benefit a nation filled with poverty and violence?

I can't believe you can be this retarded. Investing in space tech has a lot of benefit. For example, earning money by launching other people's satellites.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ce-of-rocket-dollars/articleshow/37539285.cms

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
OMFG! Do you know how much we spend on poverty in this country? Do you know how many are on welfare and food stamps since Obozo took office? Please.

But according to those articles, you should stop everything until unless all poor people are lifted out of poverty...!!

Bo625

Banned
Sep 21, 2014
Could be the gang rapes, Could be caste system and poverty.

Racism is still alive, but its nothing like 50 years ago, and not a serious issue for most people.

Sure it is. Most people learned to keep their mouths shut about it in mixed company.

Bo625

Banned
Sep 21, 2014
So how do you suggest we stop gang rapes?

Caste system is a big problem. However bigotry and discrimination happen everywhere. Why doesn't the USA stop all its science and research and focus on the issue of black American people unfairly targeted by white cops?

Poverty will be fixed by economic growth. Giving free stuff to poor people never does any good.

Do you honestly think there isn't a caste system in America? Do you really believe that "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" nonsense? Do you know how most rich people earn their money? They inherit it. The Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Michael Dell stories are the exception, not the rule. They were all incredibly lucky. Well, all except Gates, he was born rich, and his mom pulled strings to get the IBM meeting.

Bo625

Banned
Sep 21, 2014
pretty much this

racism is alive and well just not so in your face like the 50s

Yep. Go to your local white blue collar bar, if you're lucky enough to be white, and just listen. You'll hear plenty of N-bombs from the idiots, and you'll hear plenty of dog whistle phrases learned from AM radio and Fox from the ones who learned to clean their hate speech up. The sad thing is most of these guys are too dumb to even know what they're talking about. It's sad. It's a lot like this forum.

moniker

Nov 7, 2012
Instead of playing the racist card and moaning over it, I'd celebrate the achievement and move on. A bunch of ignorant journalists writing a few dumb articles.. Is that anything new?

I wouldn't call it racist. It's more like a narrow minded view - where scientific advancements are somehow considered frivolous and a luxury, and also poorly researched.
India is proving to be a cheap alternative to launch satellites, it charges about 70% of what other countries charge. The fact that India has successfully launched a Mars mission is going to build confidence in more countries to come forward and let their satellites be launched by ISRO. Just a few months back India helped launch 5 foreign satellites. Also, this means that ISRO isn't completely dependent upon government funding. The space industry is booming and looks quite promising, India is looking at tapping this market.

Looking at all these financial opportunities, the insular assertion of space exploration being a misplaced priority over poverty alleviation seems childish. The OP is even more silly though, being miserable over a couple of articles written by western media smacks of inferiority complex.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The same western journalists use the same line of argument when writing about things the U.S. does. "Why is this country spending money & resources on that waste when they instead should be combating poverty inside the states?!!!"

Racism? I don't know, seems it would only be racist if they target specific races, they seem to hit them all, including whitey.

Kushina

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2010
Because every time I get near one of you it smells like week old Grill Kabob. And I was born in Pakistan. You were 3LBs of cologne everywhere you go but shower once a year and don't use deodorant. My best friend is Indian. But he is not a Indian.

/Applies to all ME people and African.

Also this.

497705429_3AKFQ-L.jpg

I'm not sure what to say, but I think it speaks for itself.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
First of all India isn't a nation "filled" with poverty and violence. They surely exist, but it isn't filled with them.

Second, how exactly do you educate a criminal that a crime is a bad thing? Do you think the criminal doesn't know that? He does. He just doesn't care!

Third, we are doing a lot to improve housing, education, public infrastructure and raise living standards. However the point of those articles is that we should stop our space research until India becomes a first world country where nobody is poor anymore. That's what i am arguing against.

I can't believe you can be this retarded. Investing in space tech has a lot of benefit. For example, earning money by launching other people's satellites.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ce-of-rocket-dollars/articleshow/37539285.cms

It isn't widespread? 30%+ of a billion people in India are living in poverty. It is filled with poverty. India defenders so so strange. You're like climate change deniers. You just ignore facts and continue with your "India is great! Gang rapes are a product of the white media!" silliness. I have a feeling, most of the supports are themselves Indian.

And again, a Mars mission serves zero benefit for India right now. Perhaps, once they become and actual developed nation and cut their poverty in half. Right now, "launching other people's satellites" is not a longer or short term solution to any of India's problems. And crying racism any time someone criticizes it, doesn't help the world's opinion of your country.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Also this.

497705429_3AKFQ-L.jpg

I'm not sure what to say, but I think it speaks for itself.

If I wasn't gay, I'd hit that in a New York minute, or a Mumbai minute, as the case may be.

And that is a girl, right? Kinda missing a few things in the chest area if so, but if a tranny, it's still pretty hot, and a tranny is fair game for me then.

Last edited:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
If I wasn't gay, I'd hit that in a New York minute, or a Mumbai minute, as the case may be.

And that is a girl, right? Kinda missing a few things in the chest area if so, but if a tranny, it's still pretty hot, and a tranny is fair game for me then.

Check out that girl from india who sings "Will he poop on my knee" video on youtube.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Wait, so it is racism for offering an opinion on how money should be spent??

NOW I get it why I am racist,.. I would prefer tax payer money is spent on school lunches, instead of corporate welfare - I am a racist against corporations??

D:

My GOD,.. I am more monster than man.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Did I miss the criticism somewhere?

I ask why India has such a fragile ego? I remember a few years ago we had some joint air drills where the US had their hands tied behind their back to make the playing field level. After the fact a US commander acknowledged this and the Indian media erupted for him to be fired for insulting Indians.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Did I miss the criticism somewhere?

I ask why India has such a fragile ego? I remember a few years ago we had some joint air drills where the US had their hands tied behind their back to make the playing field level. After the fact a US commander acknowledged this and the Indian media erupted for him to be fired for insulting Indians.

Does India even have an Air Force with actual planes?

Lol, I looked it up. They still use MiG-21s. Of course the US couldn't actually try in a joint exercise.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Here is Ted Talk. Hans Rosling discusses when he thinks India and China will overtake America. It's a pretty good speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiK5-oAaeUs

He says that 2050 is when India/China will overtake America/Britain.

They have 2 of the largest population in the world, each has around 1.3 billions people, or each has about 1 billions more people than the U.S, so they might overtake the US in economics term. But 1.3 billions people per country will have its own problems. You can't avoid the pollution problems, which will be worse if the people want high standard of living like in the western countries. Those Scandinavians, the Countries which will never be players in term of military or economic power, have the best standard of living in the world, we should all strive for that.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
They have 2 of the largest population in the world, each has around 1.3 billions people, or each has about 1 billions more people than the U.S, so they might overtake the US in economics term. But 1.3 billions people per country will have its own problems. You can't avoid the pollution problems, which will be worse if the people want high standard of living like in the western countries. Those Scandinavians, the Countries which will never be players in term of military or economic power, have the best standard of living in the world, we should all strive for that.

Their biggest problems there are access to clean drinkable water and not enough toilets.

Half the population craps where ever they can.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/04/dancing-poo-stars-in-unicef-indias-anti-public-defecation-psa.html

https://www.poo2loo.com/wap/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Does India even have an Air Force with actual planes?

Lol, I looked it up. They still use MiG-21s. Of course the US couldn't actually try in a joint exercise.

Eh they have SU30s, Mig 29s, Mig 27s, and operate some Mig 21s.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Eh they have SU30s, Mig 29s, Mig 27s, and operate some Mig 21s.

They have more MiG 21s than anything else combined. Until, they take delivery of SU-30, which they have on order. Their air power is laughable at best. But then again, so is most countries. I'd take a MiG 21 over the Chinese knockoff though.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
But that's a good thing no? At least they're not wasting money on defence...

OP: I'd say the problem is with the extremely large gap between rich and poor in your country. You're doing well economically but if there ever wasn't a trickle down effect it's in India.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
They have more MiG 21s than anything else combined. Until, they take delivery of SU-30, which they have on order. Their air power is laughable at best. But then again, so is most countries. I'd take a MiG 21 over the Chinese knockoff though.

I know some Countries that have an Air Force of less than 5 planes. The five planes are all props as well:(

I was under the impression that Indian pilots were better than many of the surrounding Countries. In every war between India and Pakistan, India usually dominated the skies. Pakistan was never much of a challenge for India in the past. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited: