why can't STEAM remember your birthdate?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
SRSLY? why do i have to enter my birth date every time i want to look at a game that has an age restriction?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
because it's verifying the age of the person wanting to see it.

why can't it verify me once since it's MY STEAM account and no one else uses it? besides, even if i was only 10, i could still enter any date and make it think i'm older.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: pontifex

why can't it verify me once since it's MY STEAM account and no one else uses it? besides, even if i was only 10, i could still enter any date and make it think i'm older.

It's just checking. Steam has no Fingerprint/DNA matching system to verify that it's only you playing on your Account.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

It's just checking. Steam has no Fingerprint/DNA matching system to verify that it's only you playing on your Account.

This. And it's a law.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Me thinks OP is just sad steam/valve never wished him a happy birthday. It's ok, I understand.

Happy birthday OP!:beer:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Same reason as why alcoholic drink websites make you say your birthdate. It's not going to stop anyone, they just have to do it. I think you're making it a bigger deal than it is.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: PieIsAwesome
Me thinks OP is just sad steam/valve never wished him a happy birthday. It's ok, I understand.

Not until March but thanks anyway!

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Because it is well known that anyone under 18 does not have the mental capacity to falsify birth date selection.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004

Asking your birthdate so you can potentially lie about it is quite diffferent from verifying your birthdate.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: PieIsAwesome

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

:laugh:

Oct 25, 2005
It is a bit annoying since you're already logged in to a system that knows your birthdate, but since it's more of a legal thing, so they might not have a choice.

At least Gamevideos (I think?) was smart enough to just put a single drop-down with "age", instead of a full date, realizing fully that everyone ignores the day/month and just picks a year >= 18 years ago and clicks "go".

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

This. And it's a law.

It was a law. The Supreme Court found it unconstitutional about 6 months back though.