why can't new englanders say their R's?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i am watching this old house and it is driving me crazy!

"a nice hahdwood finish"

"location neah the pahk"

"Nohm tell me moah about this faucet"

:mad:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
well, everything i know about new england i learned from this old house

(also about construction)

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The R's were stolen by Texan's so they could put earl in their trucks, and
warsh their clothes.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
that explains it! :awe:

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I had a couple room mate buddies I hung out with a lot in the service were Massholes, sorry was a little joke they even taught me.

One of the guys in the shop I work in now it a transplant.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Here:

Anytime someone adds an r after an a that doesn't belong I want to put an ice pick through their eye for some reason...
I've never noticed anyone do that...? Examples?
There were some examples earlier in this thread. Someone linked to a YouTube video with British news presenters casually using words like "Asia-er".

Idea - idear
People have posted a couple of these, I don't understand that they mean, both of those sound exactly the same.
Hint: In an amusing mispronunciation thread, if it doesn't sound different, you're probably guilty of the same pronunciation. ;)

General American pronunciation doesn't follow vowels with "r" sounds unless the letter is actually there. "Idear" and "warsh" sounds ridiculous to the majority on this side of the pond.
I pronounce Idea as "eye de-a" not "eye de-aaaarrrrr" but if apple made a product called the iDeer it would sound exactly like idea.

HAL9000 thinks "idea" and "I-dear" sound identical.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I heard more "warsh"es in Ohio than I have ever heard in Texas.

lol, where do you live in ohio? i live up by the lake and nobody ever says that.

sadly though, if you go much farther south than rt 30, many people seem to think they live in the freakin confederacy (despite being less than 100 miles away from canada)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
lol, where do you live in ohio? i live up by the lake and nobody ever says that.

sadly though, if you go much farther south than rt 30, many people seem to think they live in the freakin confederacy (despite being less than 100 miles away from canada)

I used to live about an hour South of Toledo and definitely had friends that threw in the "R", but I also had relatives closer to Cinci, and it was even worst down there.