Why can't i overclock my laptop's graphics card?

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
It's generally not recommended to overclock a graphics card, due to the laptop's limited frame and the heat buildup within the already hot chassis.

You should be able to overclock though, using Rivatuner and the proper drivers...of course, make sure you watch those temps and consider getting a laptop cooler and/or cleaning out the air vents and making sure airflow is properly maintained. :)

Gaurav Duggal

Oct 17, 2007
I tried it using Rivatuner and atitool but I couldn't overclock it. In atitool when I try overclocking it reverts to default clocks soon after changing the clocks. Since it is a new laptop the vents should be clear. I'll keep a watch on the temperatures. Can u tell me how to overclock it using rivatuner.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
What a terrible idea, it won't be worth the 2 fps you gain. You'll just fry the laptop and your warranty.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
on a laptop it might be better to DOWNCLOCK your video card... loose 2 fps but drastically reduce heat and power...

Gaming can only be done a desktop, laptops are simply not powerful enough.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Underclocking won't save THAT much power

Undervolting will, and can usually be done at stock speeds with Core 2s, you just have to do it manually on the motherboard.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Yes but underclocking can be done with rivatuner... undervolting means messing with the hardware (there are no bios settings for that on a lappy)