Why can't I extend my desktop?

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
I recently hooked up a second monitor to find out that the ability to simply 'extend' the desktop is gone...you can only 'span' your entire desktop now or clone it....neither of these are what I need.

here's a pic of my control panel for nvidia: Text

I did a little googling and did not find a fix.

I have done this before so I don't think I'm smoking crack but dang that was a cool feature and it no longer seems to exist...I use to pick each monitor's resolution and could put whatever i wanted on that second monitor as if it was simply an 'extended' desktop.

Have I missed a simple setting somewhere???

pertinent hardware:
8800 gts...latest drivers
winxp sp2
monitors: HP LP2065(20") and Samsung 515V(15")

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
In the monitor pulldown menu, there's no choice for using HP + Ssmsung?

Right now it shows you've only got it set to use the HP.

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
all fixed...must have been running a beta driver from mid- december....just ran driver cleaner and installed the 'real newest drivers' and all is good again...whew

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
:thumbsup:

I can only imagine the horror of not having dual displays :p

I've had a couple displays on my main system for years now...don't enjoy things without :p

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: n7
In the monitor pulldown menu, there's no choice for using HP + Ssmsung?

Right now it shows you've only got it set to use the HP.

yeah that was there but the option to use dualview was not...all better now. thanks for the replys and getting me thinking.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
It's really a lot simpler.
Right click on a blank spot on the desktop>Properties>Settings(you should see both monitors there. Left click on the second one)>check the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". You can do all your settings for both monitors from here too.

You may also want to look at Ultramon: http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/