Why Can't I Code in C After So Long of Using Windows?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For most of my teenage years I was spending hours a day, every day, using Windows which is mostly written in C.

Despite this I can't write simple code like Hello World? and what's your name?, or even create a for loop that counts to 10.

I actually want to learn "C++" because I want to code GPU drivers and most are made in C++.

But I feel like if I can't learn C after so long of using Windows, I don't have what it takes to learn C++.

Jul 27, 2020
Nope. The simple things are really easy. But systems programming like drivers? That would take a lot of staring at the screen to figure out.

That's Hello World: https://www.onlinegdb.com/online_c_compiler

So easy, no?

Enroll in some free Udemy courses. Or there's really great C/C++ tutorials on Youtube.

I believe you can achieve intermediate level easily. Advanced stuff is hard. That is for the real geniuses out there.

I'm a hobbyist C/C++ programmer. Passed the 42 Piscine. Currently enrolled in their Cursus (an intense 600+ day program). That upped the difficulty level to 11. Been giving me a headache the past few months. I froze my account and currently trying to figure out what to do. These intense programs are hard with a full time job.

Last edited:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
For most of my teenage years I was spending hours a day, every day, using Windows which is mostly written in C.

Despite this I can't write simple code like Hello World? and what's your name?, or even create a for loop that counts to 10.

I actually want to learn "C++" because I want to code GPU drivers and most are made in C++.

But I feel like if I can't learn C after so long of using Windows, I don't have what it takes to learn C++.

What does using Windows have to do with your inability to understand C program language?
Most people who use Linux can't write effective code either.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
  • Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A parody thread only works when forum members have bothered to read the original thread it is parodying. 😄

Or have at least seen the thread title. Seems that with every parody thread ever, I notice the parody long before I ever see the one it's parodying. (Then, of course, there's always that brief moment of trying to work out which thread was the 'real' one.)