Why can't developers agree on a Savegame location?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I really really wish saves were in the original install folder.

I do NOT install games on the C: drive!
I do NOT want saves on the C: drive!

It's extremely irritating as i put absolutely nothing of importance on C, & i really don't want saves eating up space & cluttering up things there.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I agree with that. The program has already been granted install permission, and allowed to run. That should be enough to change it's own files.

This is actually incorrect. If you look at the security properties of the Program Files folder, the only one with full control is "TrustedInstaller" - in otherwords, install programs (which are not necessarily the actual application being installed). Users (who the applications run under) only have read/execute, list folder contents and read permissions.

My mother was bitching about this other day because she ABSOLUTELY INSISTED that she MUST save her designed webpages IN \PROGRAM FILES\ or it would break her images. I told her to stop using absolute paths. :rolleyes:

In any case, I wish that game developers would get their shit together and use the \%user$\Documents\Saved Games folder for all saves, or let you choose in-game.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The biggest pain with this system is that the fucking save games are huge these days and if I tell a game to install on my E drive, I don't want it to dump gigs of saves on my system drive. It's a lack of control.