Why can't Al-Jazeera show pics of coalition POW's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
its speculatipon but they have heard conversations and people telling them this. Ive seen the footage and well it looks 99% like they ewre executed

however do you now believe they have broken the Geneva convention rules?

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Does Al-Jazeera have a website?

rolleye.gif

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
its speculatipon but they have heard conversations and people telling them this. Ive seen the footage and well it looks 99% like they ewre executed

Sound like they are still speculation to me.....

As far as I'm concerned, BOTH sides have broken international law. No one is the more angelic here. Have you seen the footgae where an Iraqi truck driver was shot by coaltiion soldiers? Can you say now that is actually murder? The same thing can be said about the alleged executions. who knows if they were shot while actually resisting? Was there a close-up of the bullet holes in their heads or where there just blood on the head? It takes a lot to un-biased in this war. You can interpret ANYTHING to fit your beliefs.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: zer0burn

however do you now believe they have broken the Geneva convention rules?

BBC and foxnews are reporting that Tony Blair is saying at least two british soldiers were executed.

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
These 2 articles from the link Roger put up explain it:

Article 13

Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or to medical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoner concerned and carried out in his interest.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity.

Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited.

Article 14

Prisoners of war are entitled in all circumstances to respect for their persons and their honour. Women shall be treated with all the regard due to their sex and shall in all cases benefit by treatment as favourable as that granted to men. Prisoners of war shall retain the full civil capacity which they enjoyed at the time of their capture. The Detaining Power may not restrict the exercise, either within or without its own territory, of the rights such capacity confers except in so far as the captivity requires.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
US and people in general have complained that displaying coalition POW's on TV is wrong and against the Geneva convention (altrough USA doesn't follow that convention in Camp X-ray either, but I digress). They have also said that showing dead coalition troops is wrong.

So why is it then OK to show surrendering/surrendered Iraqi troops on TV? Why is it OK to show pics of dead Iraqis? Seriously, why?

I dunno, but it pisses me off how PC some people can be when people are dropping dead like flies. It's a war, not a family get together at disney world. I wanna see the casualities.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
This is war, folks. Geneva convention be damned. The US forces always try to adhere to the letter of that convention, yet they fall short, and in every war since the beginning of wars, atrocities have been publically displayed. I remaber some very grizzly visions of the Viet Nam era, and books are filled with just as much in the history of WWII and WWI. Bellyaching about it will not change anything. Al jazzeera (under an obviously different intellectual, cultural framework) will show to their public pictures that favor their viewers positions in regards to this war and all middle east activities as they pertain to the US and/or Israel. Since the information age is so open and available in moments, you can't control it, not that it matters. When evil people do evil things, they don't care if it offends your sensibilities. They prefere that it does offend you. Somehow they think if you are offended, you will change your behavior. I will never understand why middle eastern culture thinks thatthey can sway western culture to pay attention to them in a positive way by executing POWs or sending kids with bombs around their waste to go and detonate in a public market in Tel Aviv.

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
there were up close pictures of 3 soldiers with bullet holes in their heads...

So? Have you seen the British soldier in CNN that has three bullet holes in his helmet (right on front)? He's still alive but very lucky. If they are sharp enough to hit that guy, they can easily be sharp enough to shoot 3 soldiers in the forehead. Maybe the soldiers made a stupid move and they got shot. Who knows? Unless there is actually a first hand account from a reliable, unbiased source, you can consider everything as speculation and not fact.