Why cant a gun shoot multiple calibers?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
From this THREAD

Just have the barrel big enuf to accomodate a .45.

why cant the gun accomodate a .40 and 9mm too?

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: silverpig
Ever throw a hotdog down a hallway?

Stewie: "So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?"

OP, I don't see how a gun could shoot 3 different calibers from the same barrel. That would make about as much sense as using .05 lead in a .07 mechanical pencil (or vice versa).

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
lol
simple answer... the bullet needs to basically create a sealed space within the chamber for when the hammer strikes the casing and ignites. If there is room, there would be no forceful explosion, and the bullet would just limp out, probably not going very far or fast.

they do make adapters for bullets of other sizes to fit into larger caliber weapons, however they are not practical and probably don't even exist anymore

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor
lol
simple answer... the bullet needs to basically create a sealed space within the chamber for when the hammer strikes the casing and ignites. If there is room, there would be no forceful explosion, and the bullet would just limp out, probably not going very far or fast.

they do make adapters for bullets of other sizes to fit into larger caliber weapons, however they are not practical and probably don't even exist anymore

Basically: You could do it if you really wanted to, but it'd suck.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
This is the wrong forum. Something this complicated belongs in Highly Technical. Reading about how guns works wouldn't solve this, we need the big heads on this... STAT.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
lol

For some large caliber sniper rifles they still use adapters to fire smaller bullets - they get huge muzzle velocity and incredible range.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I think I remember hearing about an assault rifle with multiple barrels and multiple magazine receivers, but it was for US troops to be able to shoot 223 and 762 (US/UN/NATO/whatever) and I'm not sure whether it was actually introduced into service.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
lol
simple answer... the bullet needs to basically create a sealed space within the chamber for when the hammer strikes the primer

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
lol
simple answer... the bullet needs to basically create a sealed space within the chamber for when the hammer strikes the primer

well strikes the end of the casing which holds the primer. i just kinda skimped on detail. :D

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A 38 special will usually shoot a 357 magnum.

A non-automatic rifle chambered for 22 magnum will usually shoot anything below that (22 long rifle, 22 long, 22 short).

A 22 Hornet can not.
Its a center fire.

.223 can sometimes be mixed with 5.56mm rounds. The primer is a little different but some guns have been designed to handle both.

Same for 308 winmag and 7.62mm.

As for the above idea of a single gun that can have parts changed out and use either 5.56 or 7.62: That would be a real pain in the butt, especially in the field. Its fine for a collectors or hunters weapon, but certainly not for soldiers out in the field.

Would actually be easier just to carry two guns.

Having said that, I have seen places like Les Baur and Bushmaster come out with AR15's in both calibers, but they are seperate guns with seperate parts.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
lol

Same principle as in paintball, without a perfect seal the pressure behind the bullet is greatly reduced.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: GuideBot
I think I remember hearing about an assault rifle with multiple barrels and multiple magazine receivers, but it was for US troops to be able to shoot 223 and 762 (US/UN/NATO/whatever) and I'm not sure whether it was actually introduced into service.

I read that as UNATCO, too much Deus Ex for me.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
lol
simple answer... the bullet needs to basically create a sealed space within the chamber for when the firing pin strikes the primer

Since we're nit-picking here.

Oh, and to the OP... you know what, I don't even know where to begin. Nevermind.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: GuideBot

On an AR15, you can use one lower reciever with several different upper recievers.

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens
A 38 special will usually shoot a 357 magnum.

A non-automatic rifle chambered for 22 magnum will usually shoot anything below that (22 long rifle, 22 long, 22 short).

A 22 Hornet can not.
Its a center fire.

.223 can sometimes be mixed with 5.56mm rounds. The primer is a little different but some guns have been designed to handle both.

Same for 308 winmag and 7.62mm.

As for the above idea of a single gun that can have parts changed out and use either 5.56 or 7.62: That would be a real pain in the butt, especially in the field. Its fine for a collectors or hunters weapon, but certainly not for soldiers out in the field.

Would actually be easier just to carry two guns.

Having said that, I have seen places like Les Baur and Bushmaster come out with AR15's in both calibers, but they are seperate guns with seperate parts.

While a gun designed for the .38 Special can fire a .357 Magnum round, you would NOT want to do this under normal circumstances. If you have a pistol designed for .357 Magnum, feel free to shoot .38 Special all you want. The reason is that a .357 (being a Magnum cartridge) produces a much higher pressure than a .38 Special and your cylinder could deform, crack or even explode.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: oogabooga
This is the wrong forum. Something this complicated belongs in Highly Technical. Reading about how guns works wouldn't solve this, we need the big heads on this... STAT.

my sarcasm meter is broken, r u serious?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
There are guns which can handle multiple calibers, if you swap the barrel and cylinder (for revolvers). My uncle has a 454 Casull with 2 or 3 additional barrels/cylinders.