Why can´t I change to 12 bpc bit depth?

mikaelmark

Jun 5, 2016
have an Asus GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB with latest driver 8.1.880.0, and I have in the Nvidia Control panel set the resolution to 4k x2k, 3840 x 2160 and frequency to 60Hz and YCbCr444 (connected to my Samsung 4K with UHD-color activated and HDMI 2.0.

But after reinstalling Windows 10, I can´t change the bit depth from 8 bpc and limit dynamic space. Do anyone know why I can´t choose 12 bpc and full dynamic space? It was possible before reinstalling Windows.

/ Mikael

mikaelmark

Jun 5, 2016
Try setting RGB.

I have tried RGB, but it will not work either.

And I really want to go with Chroma 444 because I use UHD color at my Samsung 4K TV.

But when I lower the resulotion to 1920 x 1080, then I can change to 12 bpc. But when I then go back to 3840 x 2160, it can´t be chosen again. So now I have nothing choosed, it´s just blank! May that be a problem?

I attaching a screen dump (the display language is in swedish)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AAbJ-LPi4h8E5_0&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

neviir

May 16, 2016
So now I have nothing choosed, it´s just blank! May that be a problem?

As strange as it sounds, it may be the cable. AFAIK you need a powered cable (or a very, very short one) to handle the bandwidth for 4k HDR. Also, you need to have HDCP 2.0 configured to be able to use 4k HDR for most devices (yay DRM...)

mikaelmark

Jun 5, 2016
Thank´s for your reply, neviir!

I have now replaced the HDMI 1.4 cable with a 2.0 4K, 2 - 3 times the cost and also cleaned the HDMI port at the graphics card with isopranol alcohol. But it´s still the same, the bit depth can not be higher than 8 bpc - but at least at least I will not get any black screens for a few seconds as I get earlier several times/day.