Why British police don’t have guns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2007
It started over an immigrant being shot by police in an immigrant neighborhood and then the immigrants, being the immigrants they are, started to riot.

Immigrants.

Mark Duggan wasn't an immigrant you daft twat or do you consider all black men in England immigrants?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
They don't have the number of illegal guns on the streets that we do. If the likelihood that you won't get shot at just for pulling someone over goes down, the US could have a lot less armed Police too.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It started over an immigrant being shot by police in an immigrant neighborhood and then the immigrants, being the immigrants they are, started to riot.

Immigrants.

Citation needed for Mark Duggan being an immigrant. Just because he was black, it doesn't make him an immigrant. "Being the immigrants they are" is just plain racist; you're implying that's what immigrants do because they're immigrants, and absolutely tonnes of the rioters were white.

The media normally loves to jump on the "racism" bandwagon, yet absolutely nothing was said this time about any motivations being to do with racism or immigration. It was just a load of thugs wanting to break shit up and nick stuff.

Dictionary definition of the word immigrant:
"a person who has come to a different country in order to live there permanently"

If one or both of his parents moved here before he was born, he's not an immigrant. TBH I don't think you have any idea, nor do you care, whether he was actually an immigrant or not, you just like to come up with a list of problems you perceive this country to have, and then point your finger at the most comfortable target for you, being "immigrants".

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Meanwhile, in England:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...ndon+muslim+protests&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

My favorites are:

"Islam will dominate the world"

"Behead those who insult Islam"

"Freedom go to hell"

"Sharia for France"

"British soldiers burn in hell"

"British police home grown terrorists"

Seeing these recent developments makes me extremely glad that this nation is armed to the teeth. The Japanese war machine didnt want anything to do with invading this country for a reason.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
When it only takes 1 or 2 to completely cripple transportation and the economy, yes....yes it is a big deal.

What do you suggest then, they should be "sent somewhere for political re-education"?

What the hell does it matter what ethnicity they are?

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
What do you suggest then, they should be "sent somewhere for political re-education"?

Sending them home would be a start.

I am fine with them protesting, but they should be monitored closely as I am sure they are. In the US we have agents in radical Mosques and we carefully watch radical Muslims. We do the same thing to White Supremesists and any other radical potentially violent group.

The second they cross the line and are violent, then at that point they are combatants. I dont mean throwing rocks, so hyperbole won't work.

What the hell does it matter what ethnicity they are?

Ethnicity? I don't think anyone brought that up.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Sending them home would be a start.

I am fine with them protesting, but they should be monitored closely as I am sure they are. In the US we have agents in radical Mosques and we carefully watch radical Muslims. We do the same thing to White Supremesists and any other radical potentially violent group.

The second they cross the line and are violent, then at that point they are combatants. I dont mean throwing rocks, so hyperbole won't work.

Sending who home then? You're fine with them protesting, but...?

Ethnicity? I don't think anyone brought that up.

Ah, ok, so you're just advocating discriminating against people who subscribe to a particular faith which doesn't condone terrorism (or at least, it condones it about as much as Christianity does).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Ah, ok, so you're just advocating discriminating against people who subscribe to a particular faith which doesn't condone terrorism (or at least, it condones it about as much as Christianity does).

Who cares if their faith officially condones terrorism or not? It doesn't condone burkas, hijabs and plenty of other garbage that they do. And they do terrorism. It's not rocket science. Do you want your country to be like any of the Muslim nations? Then keep importing Muslims from there.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Who cares if their faith officially condones terrorism or not? It doesn't condone burkas, hijabs and plenty of other garbage that they do. And they do terrorism. It's not rocket science. Do you want your country to be like any of the Muslim nations? Then keep importing Muslims from there.

What do burkas, hijabs "and plenty of other garbage" (as you put it) got to do with the topic? Have the "muslims/immigrants/foreigners/darkies go home" gang descended on this thread?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Give it 10 years and they'll all be toting assault rifles since the cities with a large immigrant population are going to turn into war zones.

Islamic-England.jpg

I hope so.

And I hope they come with hair triggers, and itchy trigger fingers to match.

Westerners have a right to our own countries where our values hold sway.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
And I hope they come with hair triggers, and itchy trigger fingers to match.

Westerners have a right to our own countries where our values hold sway.
Seig Heil!!

Anders Breivik salutes his supremacist apostles!

AnandTech P&R = StormFront

....on a related note, such "itchy trigger" fingers may once again find their mark upon an another unarmed brown person... Another killed Brazilian, and police coverup by chance?

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Seig Heil!!

Anders Breivik salutes his supremacist apostles!

AnandTech P&R = StormFront

Oh pull your head out of your ass.

There is nothing stopping anyone from any race being part of the western tradition, the problem arises when a mass immigration of people with no intention of melding into that tradition all come in at the same time, and set up enclaves, then those enclaves grow and they eventually exert political power to fundamentally change the laws and traditions of their target country. This process doesn't even require them to be consciously aware of this "goal" but there is clear evidence that some of them ARE aware of it.

How much time do you spend railing against the racism of Japanese people who don't allow much immigration and want Japan to stay distinctly Japanese in it's culture, and even in it's racial make up (which I'm not even advocating so they would be worse by your standards... but something tells me that since they aren't white, you are mentally incapable of viewing them as racist)

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Police can only function in a culture that respects the law. When respect for the law breaks down on a societal level, police are insufficient force to maintain law and order. At that point martial law and military presence is required.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder how many people who are currently shielding Islam from the appropriate outrage it does and should invoke in people who value western culture... would be doing the same if an alien species from outer space showed up and said "oh hey guys, real sorry but our planet blew up and we're running out of fuel. Can we please live on Earth? Thanks! you guys are great!" but then we start to rapidly realize these aliens are eating human beings... not all of them, only about 80 or 90% of the aliens chomp a human being every now and then.

The 10 or 20% who don't eat humans are extremely apologetic for the others' behavior, but at the same time try to put it in context for us, "you have to understand that on our planet food was very scarce and our evolutionary history implanted these behaviors... and frankly this isn't as bad as it could've been, a lot of them were advocating outright conquest of your planet but we talked them down to trying to live among you. Unfortunately, they are eating you... but we're super sorry."

How many of these people would be saying "Just the other day I walked down the street and wasn't eaten, last year only about 5% of the human population was eaten... people are overblowing this, and being racist against these aliens."

Maybe they'd need a relative eaten before they'd get a clue... I don't know.

But personally I would find it entirely reasonable and normal for people to say hey fuck this, we're killing all but the 10 or 20% who don't eat us.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think having the average police offer on beat patrol not armed is an excellent idea. All too often the decision tree in their minds jumps straight to use of their most powerful weapon instead of ratcheting up the response level gradually.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder how many people who are currently shielding Islam from the appropriate outrage it does and should invoke in people who value western culture... would be doing the same if an alien species from outer space showed up and said "oh hey guys, real sorry but our planet blew up and we're running out of fuel. Can we please live on Earth? Thanks! you guys are great!" but then we start to rapidly realize these aliens are eating human beings... not all of them, only about 80 or 90% of the aliens chomp a human being every now and then.

The 10 or 20% who don't eat humans are extremely apologetic for the others' behavior,

There's your problem. Alter the figures to >99% of the aliens who don't chomp human beings and it alters the list of possible reasonable/just solutions for dealing with the problem, if you want a more accurate analogy.

I personally would find it rather offensive if someone decided that British people are dangerous because of something that <1% of the population had done.

I also find it a bit odd that the religion of Islam has been around, shall we say, a fairly long time, and yet has only suddenly OMG ACTION STATIONS EVERYONE!!1! become "dangerous".

The other thing I find funny is that if I use your statistics in the most generous manner possible by switching them around to "10-20% of people who follow Islamic faiths are dangerous", and the number of people estimated worldwide are Muslim, 15% of that is, oooh! ~230 million people are trying to kill me/Western society. I would never have guessed. To try and provide some perspective for that figure, a conservative estimate for the number of deaths in WW2 is 62 million. I'm in the middle of a world war and I never even noticed.

So stop eating the crap that whatever media outlets are spoon-feeding you for their own profit (or governments for their own ends), and stop letting fear and sensationalist news dictate your thinking.

Last edited: