Why aren't we attacking North Korea again?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Originally posted by: AnImuS
Originally posted by: fwtong
Originally posted by: Mark
They have the technology to build nukes, and unlike Iraq, they actually have weapons that can hit the US. Why don't we take them out like we did Iraq?

1) No oil.
2) They have artillery trained on Seoul that could level it within a few minutes of our attacking.
3) They could probably count on the Chinese for help.
4) They've probably got around 1 million troops ready to fight if needed. We don't.
5) They probably have nuclear weapons and are crazy enough to use them.

Feel free to chime in if I missed something.

6) It's not time for Bush's re-election yet.

7) Because democrats rather the US pay them off then deal with the matter

Ignorance must be fun fwtong :D

Oh? And when a million north korean troops pour across the border when we begin to attack and seoul gets turned into rubble, what are you going to do ya jackass?

Oh?
What about when we pay off NK and they develop more nukes this time 50+ or more over several more years. And they demand more money not to use them. then we dont next thing you know dozens of nuclear missiles fly over south korea,japan, and the US. and all that could of been prevented. And when that happens it wont be just seoul into rubble it will be the entire country of SK.
What then ya jackass?

So you're willing to trade one of the biggest land wars in appx. 30 years for taking out North Korea. You're willing to risk the nuclear destruction of Japan, South Korea and possibly Alaska and Hawaii in exchange for taking out North Korea. You're willing to risk the wrath of the world's largest standing army in exchange for taking out North Korea. You're willing to risk the collapse of the world's economy in exchange for taking out North Korea. Right?

jesus christ! you just posted the REASON why NK needs to be dealt with now. Theres an estimation NK has two or zero nukes and is bluffing. They CANNOT be allowed to develop nuclear weapons. There too unstable. ANd i dare you to ask any japanese and south koreans if they will tolerate a North Korea with Nuclear weapons. and militarily right now Nk cannot sustain a long war by itself if it was just the US and NK. I think you forget the US is the only superpower right NOW.

Your just digging your self into a bigger hole...

You're probably right. If it were just the US and NK, we'd probably win. It'd be a long and very bloody fight (the NKs are probably not pushovers), but we'd probably win. Further, I'm not trying to deny that North Korea should be stopped. Their leadership is insane and they're probably the last country (outside of India and Pakistan because that's always a powder keg) who should have nuclear weapons.
But, before you say ?victory!?, I have a few fears that make say we shouldn?t attack unless we use overwhelming force AND we have a damn good exit plan.
1) China. Would they just sit back and let a communist ally and a heck of a buffer against the West get crushed, or would they turn the world?s largest airforce and army against whatever forces the West sent against NK?
2) You say NK has nukes. What would they do with them if we attacked? Would they just sit on their thumbs and use conventional weapons against any Western forces, or would they try to go out in a blaze of glory, nuking an attacking army or a western target?
3) The North Korean army. They?ve been brainwashed to a very sharp degree to have faith in communism and the NK government. They?ve had very little outside contact and afaik most of them would support Kim Jong Il regardless. They may not be very well trained or armed, but I bet they?re very highly motivated and have huge numbers. Would they surrender en masse? I doubt it. I think that they?d rather fight and give themselves for the motherland.
4) The North Korean people. They have had 50 years of living with the communist system. They?ve had nothing but ?the west is evil? for years and many are probably not going to greet Western troops with garlands of flowers and happy faces. I?m willing to bet it will be AK-74?s and RPGs more than anything.

Now, prove to me that I've got nothing to fear. Prove to me NK would be easy like Iraq was. If you can do those things beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'll agree we should attack asap and stop trying diplomacy.

1. Who knows with China. They have said they dont want NK to have Nuclear Weapons. China is a problem do to its massive Army. If they did jump in full force then the US might need to have allies help them in order to bring the numbers closer. I also believe even though china has a larger airforce that we have Superior airplanes and men. I believe the US can take over the "Air space". Once we have air space it will be very hard for China to win a war no matter how many ground troops they have.

2. NK has said themselfs they HAVE nuclear weapons. Do to the small size of Nk its easier from Sateillite Intel to predict where the Nukes could be fired. We can also launch a massive arial assualt making it difficult for them to launch one. Its been reported that the farthest nukes can reach is the west coast. But for sure SK,Japan,Hawaii. But nothing is for certain.

3. Theres nothing that can be done to changing their minds. Some people are very easily brainwashed. Just take a look at the middle east.

4. Samething as above . i dont understand how people can eat dirt and grass and accept it. Im not sure if AK47's and RPG are a common house hold as they seem to be in a Iraq, so i cant comment much on that.

One thing i know is that when every dictators gain power they WANT MORE. Its a simple fact. Nk will not stop a nuclear weapons, hydrogen bombs will be next and so forth. One of the greatest examples and even though its used many times it brings you back to reality. Hitler was allowed to grow its military and science and theres only ONE thing he chose to do with that. And that was to destroy and conquer countries. You think its not possible that when NK develops more Nukes and bigger military that it might conquer SK?
Final comment,
Is SK,japan and neighboring countries and myself well not feel SAFE with NK developing nuclear missiles with its insane dictatorship. And i dont like the US being blackmailed which includes me and you into giving them our money and aid not to attack us.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Mark
They have the technology to build nukes, and unlike Iraq, they actually have weapons that can hit the US. Why don't we take them out like we did Iraq?

We have more options.

And we didn't have options when it came to Iraq.

What options? Iraq had plenty of money from illegal oil sales. Sanctions did not hurt saddam, maybe the population, but he had plenty of room in his budget to work with. Saddam would never get voted out of office. And if he did get assasinated oneof his spawns of satan would run the country more brutally than he did.

I don;t think Korea has any weapons that could actually reach the U.S., South Korea would light up like the fourth of July though. With NK the US sanctions actaully have an effect as NK has no natural resource to sell to earn $$$.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Chinese are snakes in the grass, masterful decievers and they hate us. You think a country as poor as NK and lacking in natural resourses and human intellect could have such an advanced robust military without any help? LOL. just don't count on them helping out to much OK.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan

The man is insane.. he has no care for the people of his country.. he only wants to create problems for the United States at any cost to his people-- I would be most concerned to know what he does with any radioactive wastes...

Thats how he solves his food problem :D

Seriously the North Korea issue is much more complicated because of China. If China wasn't part of the picture we would've sent in our guys soon after they dismissed the UN inspectors.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Because Bush is all lip-service. The only thing he's done was invaded a country who was castrated of weapons for the past 12 years and practically in a poverty state. Bush only goes after small-fish...Iraq, Afghanistan. If he really had to put up a fight, like with N.K., he's all bark.

Except when he lies and fudges intelligence, that is - as with Iraq.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Because Bush is all lip-service. The only thing he's done was invaded a country who was castrated of weapons for the past 12 years and practically in a poverty state. Bush only goes after small-fish...Iraq, Afghanistan. If he really had to put up a fight, like with N.K., he's all bark.

What intel did he fudge? Any proof of this? Not a bit, what a fvcking joke.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: phillyTIM

What intel did he fudge? Any proof of this? Not a bit, what a fvcking joke.

how about the intel that he has that says looters stole wmd ?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
or how about all the intel about this on last night's NBC nightly news report, for example?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Well the Bush Regime is doing it's darndest to cover all this up.

Heck, we have major disagreement between the CIA and State Department about the use of those two mobile labs that bush had designated as "WMDs" at one time.

The White House said that they throw out their own State Department's disagreement that the labs were for WMDs.

What a friggin' comedy - the Three Stooges redux!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I just had a really good link for that, said Bush dismissed US and UK opinions that they
might not be mobile weapons labs.....

Honestly the best arguements I have found that this admin intenionally dressed up the intel I have found myself and have not been presented by members here sadly....

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Good article in this thread....

We are not attackign Iran or NK becasue as Bush said every case is different, they are also far more options with them still on the table, at least they are indiciating a willingness to reason. Notice the rest of the international community agress with him in this regard. We know NK just wants food anyway.

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
We are not attacking NK, because we got our ass handed to us last time. Why do you think you never hear anything about the Korean war. It isn't called the forgotton war for nothing!!!

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
bush can talk the talk (even then he wouldn't even be a contestant in a grammar contest), but he can't walk the walk with integrity.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: NorthRiver
We are not attacking NK, because we got our ass handed to us last time. Why do you think you never hear anything about the Korean war. It isn't called the forgotton war for nothing!!!

ass handed to us? They had the full support of china funneling everything they could, how far did they get?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I just had a really good link for that, said Bush dismissed US and UK opinions that they
might not be mobile weapons labs.....

Honestly the best arguements I have found that this admin intenionally dressed up the intel I have found myself and have not been presented by members here sadly....

What did you find Ali?