why aren't my rear surround speakers very loud?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by huberm, Mar 23, 2005.

1. huberm

huberm Golden Member

I have the Logitech Z640 5.1 speakers and a cheapo Cobra AW850 5.1 sound card. Problem is, my rear surround speakers are barely even audible. I turned all of them off except for the rear ones in winamp and I could hardly hear the song. The front ones and center channel/sub sound great.

What gives?

2. Insomniak

Insomniak Banned

Why bother using surround for music anyway? Music is recorded in two channel (left/right) stereo, so using surround for it just results in the speakers duplicating channels and you getting a bunch of crosstalk.

If listening to music, set the speakers to 2.1 for best listening.

Anyway, as for your problem, I'm not sure. My guess would be the driver is not being told to send a lot of volume to your rear satellites because the music file is not meant for surround, as mentioned...

3. huberm

huberm Golden Member

I guess i should have mentioned it does it in games too......i can never hear them unless i stick my ear right next to them

4. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

There is little if any rear-channel sound in most sources except for games and DVD sci-fi/fantasy/horror/animated movies. Most soundcards that support rear channels have some sort of emulation that will make surround out of a stereo source, but it isn't usually worth the bother.
    .bh.

5. PurdueRy

PurdueRy Lifer

are you using a digital connection?

6. YOyoYOhowsDAjello

YOyoYOhowsDAjello Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member

I'm pretty sure the 640s don't have a digital connection.

There isn't a fade control by any chance, is there? My z-560s had one and it controls the rear speaker volume.

7. PurdueRy

PurdueRy Lifer

ah I was thinking 680's. I don't pay much attention to computer based speaker systems my mistake.

Don't test them using music use a movie. or do a channel test

8. henryay

henryay Senior member

yea, there is a fade control. I own these speakers and the rear speakers work fine. I'm using onboard sound and it comes with a software control panel where I can set it to be a 2 speaker or 6 speaker setup. When it is turned to 2, the rear speakers are REALLY low. So, I would change your software setup.

9. RaiderJ

RaiderJ Diamond Member

Most DVD's I watch don't even play much through the rear channels. Only useful in games it seems. LOTR Special Editions however sound awesome!