Why are tobacco companies evil but not alcohol companies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Smokers should be rolled up in paper and BURNED. Then they'll know what it's like!
to suffer like the poor tobacco leaves?

rolleye.gif
Nuclear weapons should be fired upon all of the tobacco plants on the south. THAT'LL take care of the tobacco plants and the FARMERS that are just as bad as SMOKERS.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Smokers should be rolled up in paper and BURNED. Then they'll know what it's like!

rolleye.gif
Nuclear weapons should be fired upon all of the tobacco plants on the south. THAT'LL take care of the tobacco plants and the FARMERS that are just as bad as SMOKERS.
whatever Mr. high horse...

rolleye.gif

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Tobacco companies are no more evil than oil companies or utility companies or Wal-Mart for that matter. All of them will do whatever it takes to make a buck.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
One other comment about the Smirnoff Ice/Bacardi Silver/Hard Lemonade drinks. If they truely were aimed at youths, they wouldn't be priced at $7, $8, $9 for a six pack. Kids can't afford that.

In the midwest anyway, you go to any high school drinking party and all you are going to find is Busch Light, Old Milwaukee, and maybe the occassional miller lite or bud light. It's too expensive to buy the premium stuff.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

rolleye.gif
whatever Mr. high horse...

rolleye.gif
Just because the tobacco's "sweet sweet" (
rolleye.gif
) nicotine and the false promises of BIG TOBACCO have swayed you, doesn't mean you'll stand in MY way!

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
falso promises? have you read a package lately?
Your grammar is just as bad as those DAMN DIRTY SMOKERS
You mean my typing skills?

stupid is as stupid does, I guess...

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
falso promises? have you read a package lately?
Your grammar is just as bad as those DAMN DIRTY SMOKERS
You mean my typing skills?

stupid is as stupid does, I guess...
Your typing is so bad because you're using one hand to smoke your CAPITALIST CANCER DEATH STICK.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
rolleye.gif
) nicotine and the false promises of BIG TOBACCO have swayed you, doesn't mean you'll stand in MY way!
Actually, nicotine alone has no major health risks (it very mildly elevates blood pressure, but no more than table salt) and it has several health benefits. It increases amounts of acetylcholine produced in the brain (not in the motor nerve cells) therby decreasing reaction times and increasing overall awareness. This also helps prevent Alzheimer's disease.

However, the system of delivery for the nicotine used by cigarettes and other methods that involve burning tobacco produces numerous carcinogens.

In other words, smoking will kill you, but it would be just as dangerous without the nicotine, while you could use Nicorette gum or Nicotrol patches every day for the rest of your life and be in no more danger than you are from potentially overdosing on caffeine.

ZV

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
rolleye.gif
Actually, nicotine alone has no major health risks (it very mildly elevates blood pressure, but no more than table salt) and it has several health benefits. It increases amounts of acetylcholine produced in the brain (not in the motor nerve cells) therby decreasing reaction times and increasing overall awareness. This also helps prevent Alzheimer's disease.

However, the system of delivery for the nicotine used by cigarettes and other methods that involve burning tobacco produces numerous carcinogens.

In other words, smoking will kill you, but it would be just as dangerous without the nicotine, while you could use Nicorette gum or Nicotrol patches every day for the rest of your life and be in no more danger than you are from potentially overdosing on caffeine.

ZV
That's what those capitalist pigs want you to think you conformist sheep!

Hating on smoking is a fad.

Alcohol companies don't go out of their way to make their products more addictive.
How can you add anything to a already -perfect- product?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
rolleye.gif

ZV
That's what those capitalist pigs want you to think you conformist sheep!

Your sarcasm is getting OLD.

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
wow, a lot of strong feelings in this thread but it's to be expected.

oh I don't know, maybe because tobacco products cause cancer and alcohol doesn't? no one else drinking is going to ruin my liver, but second hand smoke sure as hell does something to those subjected to it.

for the record, I'm not really against either industry.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Because Alcohol Companies are next...

...Start hiding your booze now kiddies. Eventually the religious right will plunge us into the next prohibition.

Or a similiar facsimile thereof.
~wnied~

We Will Be a Viceless People eating grass and wearing bells by 2100

Moo dammit, Moo.
~wnied~

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The one drink a day advise is falling fast inlight of recent MRI studies which clearly indicate brain shrinkage from alcohol consumption..and the study indicated there's no safe exposure level..even the one drink a dayers showed brain shrinkage..cheers...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: onelin0
wow, a lot of strong feelings in this thread but it's to be expected.

oh I don't know, maybe because tobacco products cause cancer and alcohol doesn't? no one else drinking is going to ruin my liver, but second hand smoke sure as hell does something to those subjected to it.

for the record, I'm not really against either industry.
2nd hand smoke doesn't kill. With extremely rare exceptions, those deaths are all from overexposure from excessive air pollution. You really should check out LA sometime... almost hilarious how they condemn smokers and then go out jogging in that black death they call air.

Alcohol can in fact kill you. It is even possible to overdose.

I'm with wnied, except it was the relgious right that plunged us into the last prohibition, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it again... :frown:

moo, f'you, moo...

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: wnied
Because Alcohol Companies are next...

...Start hiding your booze now kiddies. Eventually the religious right will plunge us into the next prohibition.

Or a similiar facsimile thereof.
~wnied~

We Will Be a Viceless People eating grass and wearing bells by 2100

Moo dammit, Moo.
~wnied~

don't count on it. there is nothing against drinking in the bible. even jesus did it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It's not even sarcastic...
Actually, it is. You sir, were baited. Better luck next time.

Peace.
All those who couldn't see this easily will please report to the back of the short bus where you will be given your protective helmets. :p

ZV

Don't you people ever get sick of mulling over the same old topics over and over and over?