Why are tobacco companies evil but not alcohol companies?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't think either are evil, people choose to buy their products which are not illegal

freedom of choice

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Alcohol companies don't go out of their way to make their products more addictive.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nah.

Very interesting question...

I am sure some psychologist somewhere knows.

My guess would be simply that alcohol companies have better marketing/PR departments... and they haven't been caught in any scandelous activities.. yet.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
well alcohol is so nyummy and in moderation isn't so bad for you!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Alcohol companies don't go out of their way to make their products more addictive.

Too bad Jeffrey Weigand had his life ruined by Brown & Williamson for making it public.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Alcohol should be banned from bars, it's really annoying when you want to watch a game but can't because there are all these annoying drunk people around you.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: kami333
Alcohol should be banned from bars, it's really annoying when you want to watch a game but can't because there are all these annoying drunk people around you.

:confused:

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Ahh I would disagree to a point.

A LOT, not all, try and mask the taste of the alcohol so it is easier for younger people to drink. They also advertise more towards EARLY age drinkers.

Have you not noticed all the NEW drinks out that try and taste like some sweet drink or mask the Alcohol up?

Both are bad, BUT left unchecked they will get worse. Tobacco companies already showed us this, and now a LOT of alcohol companies are moving toward this.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Ahh I would disagree to a point.

A LOT, not all, try and mask the taste of the alcohol so it is easier for younger people to drink. They also advertise more towards EARLY age drinkers.

Have you not noticed all the NEW drinks out that try and taste like some sweet drink or mask the Alcohol up?

Both are bad, BUT left unchecked they will get worse. Tobacco companies already showed us this, and now a LOT of alcohol companies are moving toward this.

That's all fine and dandy, but it still isn't making the drink physically addictive. Fast food places are constantly trying to rework their menus to make their offerings more palatable and nobody raises a stink about that reguardless of health concerns.

Edit - and if anything, the introduction of the "premimum malts" is more to market twords women (of any age) than anything. Sure they aim it at youth, but at the root of things it's to get more sales from women.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

Too bad Jeffrey Weigand had his life ruined by Brown & Williamson for making it public.

That is an excellent movie.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Is it because fewer people smoke than drink? :frown:
It's because they are an easier target for the self-ighteous protect us from ourselves democrats

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Smokers should be rolled up in paper and BURNED. Then they'll know what it's like!
to suffer like the poor tobacco leaves?

rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: dartworth
Originally posted by: conjur

That is an excellent movie.

Yeah...The Insider is a great flick (a bit overdramatized) but Russell Crowe got his makeup Oscar for Gladiator. The house used in the film is about a 1/2 mile from where I live right now (for another 3 days).

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Alcohol had its day in the spotlight too, anyone ever heard of prohibition. It went so far as to be outlawed...