why are they called ricers?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I think that it's because they are usually Asian cars and rice is a food staple in Asia.

That's the impression I'm under, anyway.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
i don't know... cause the whole import tuner craze started with the asians..?

as for why they used rice beats me.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Because they generally modify Japanese cars, and Japan = Rice therefore they = ricers

The term rice came about in my area of the country in the early to mid seventies because of the Japanese motorcycle invasion, particularly when Honda came out with their 4 cylinder 750, everyone started calling them rice rockets because they are made in Asia, rice is a staple food of Asians, thus rice rockets.
This was carried over to automobiles when the youngsters started buying small Asian cars and started to modify them for either better looks (HA-HA) or for better performance.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The difference being that when they refer to cars, they appropriately leave the "rocket" part off.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
The difference being that when they refer to cars, they appropriately leave the "rocket" part off.

Not back in the early 90's. The CRX was referred to as a "pocket rocket" and/or "rice rocket".

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Confused
Because they generally modify Japanese cars, and Japan = Rice therefore they = ricers

bingo.

same reason you call foreign sports bikes "rice burners"

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I love it when whites say the term ricer is not racist. Their argument? "Lots of countries eat rice."

True, but like others have posted here, the term originated to describe Asians.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I love it when whites say the term ricer is not racist. Their argument? "Lots of countries eat rice."

I love it when people get offended at stuff like this. It amuses me to se people who are so weak minded and PC that they see this as something harful...

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
cause it started with asians and asians eat rice? It was designed to be a derogatory term.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It comes from "rice burners", a derogatory term that Harley owners gave to Honda motorcycles way back in the '60s (Honda didn't sell cars in the US until the '70s). Compared to a Harley, a '60s Honda was little better than a Vespa scooter, and Honda's advertising campaign did not endear itself to Harley owners ("You meet the nicest people on a Honda", implying that you didn't on a Harley).

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding

I love it when people get offended at stuff like this. It amuses me to se people who are so weak minded and PC that they see this as something harful...

You're a hoot and ignorant to boot.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Roger
The term rice came about in my area of the country in the early to mid seventies because of the Japanese motorcycle invasion, particularly when Honda came out with their 4 cylinder 750, everyone started calling them rice rockets because they are made in Asia, rice is a staple food of Asians, thus rice rockets.
This was carried over to automobiles when the youngsters started buying small Asian cars and started to modify them for either better looks (HA-HA) or for better performance.

thats my dads reasoning too LOL.

MIKE

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Mwilding

You're a hoot and ignorant to boot.

I could claim the same for you. how is this harmful?