Why are there no more "mature" musicians?

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
If you go back 30 years and looked at the music charts, you noticed one thing compared to today, you saw more older musicians or at least more musicians who projected an older image.

Starting in the 90s, the only people topping the charts were people in the late teens or early 20s, or people who dressed and acted like they were in their late teens and early 20s.

I'm honestly asking, can anyone name a mature musician who is still in their "prime," putting out new material, and is hitting the top of the charts consistently?'

I look back 30 years ago and you saw those like Billy Joel, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, and even many younger people in music who didn't look or sing like a teenager. Sure there were exceptions, but I'm just saying there was no shortage of maturity in music 30 years ago.

Is behaving like an adult no longer cool? Does bubblegum pop rule music?

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I'm honestly asking, can anyone name a mature musician who is still in their "prime," putting out new material, and is hitting the top of the charts consistently?'

Hummm... Bon Jovi perhaps... U2?
Most superstars-of-yore seem to have problems finding an audience these days. They still put out music, some of it is actually really good... but it doesn't hit the charts.

Perhaps the effect of the iPod generation?
Bubblegum music has always been quite popular since teenagers tend to buy the most records and such... but perhaps with the advent of iPods and online music stores, the balance shifted even further.
So it would be a simple case of supply and demand.

What I do like though, is that some of the younger generation make more 'mature' music... like Michael Buble, Norah Jones, Jason Mraz, Jamie Cullum, to name a few.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
What I do like though, is that some of the younger generation make more 'mature' music... like Michael Buble, Norah Jones, Jason Mraz, Jamie Cullum, to name a few.

There are a few, although I've only heard of Norah Jones from your list. Back then, the true legends of music were the mature ones, now it's the teeny boppers getting all the attention.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Older folk still make great music, it just doesn't make it to the charts. Those are all about youth and good looks, the actual music comes second.

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Mass appeal requires image.

And with so many forms of media available on so many devices, image is predominantly literal. i.e. if you don't look the part, it is harder to succeed. And unfortunately this excludes a lot of good and more mature musicians.

Also, television and social media continues the downward trend over the past decades of catering to the lowest possible ages. Market products to kids, "tweens", teens, and college students. You then control most of what is popular and hit making on the charts. This kind of lower age demographic was not possible during the record age, but is more easily done in the digital.

Also, beat centric and highly synthesized music is easier for younger people to produce. It's cliche, but young people are better with computers and are starting at younger ages. Purely clasically trained musicians don't hold as much ground anymore (though all musicians do benefit from early training, even Gaga with piano, lol).

Personally, I listen to a wide array of musical genres and eras of music, so I'd say a good percentage of the music I listen to is created by mature musicians.

Last edited:

qazwsxokmijn

Dec 7, 2009
David Gray just released his latest album last year.

He's probably the finest musician UK has ever produced.

Nov 20, 2009
When recording studios focus on the business of making money (not music) they are looking to the largest demographic for dollars they can bring in--and its not mature music artists. Its teenie-boppers.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009

I came in here to post this, David Gray's music is amazing.

I would also say Michael Buble, but for some reason everytime I hear him, I think of a wannabe old lounge singer. Also, it seems like his newer stuff has more of a pop feel to it, so I think he might be selling out to the masses a bit.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
U2, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, ACDC and Dave Mathews were among the top ten grossing Concerts tours of 2009. While they may not be topping the charts they are doing well were it really counts, making money for themselves not the Recording Industry

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This is an odd topic. My complaint about rock radio is that it is clogged with oldies stations with little room for new music. Hip hop/trance/dance stations are better about playing new stuff.

However, with digital download sales and the ability to browse and preview music before you buy, traditional music media outlets become less relevant and more celebrity gossip outlets than music promoters.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
AC/DC... great guys.
Some time ago I saw an interview with Angus Young... he said:
"I'm sick and tired of people who keep saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same!
We've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same!"

I love it when musicians don't take themselves too seriously. I can't stand those faux-artistic musicians, who blow a lot of hot air about how their latest album has such-and-such philosophy behind it, what the greater concept of it all is, and how they are trying to do something new musically, and change the world and all that... blahblahblah.
Especially since most of the time their stuff is just a bunch of pretentious junk that's no good :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The music industry is so diluted that the era of the superstar is over. Too many choices, too many outlets, and since people don't need record companies to distribute music anymore, mega talent gets diluted by all the crap out there.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Damon Albarn. Guy is 30 something years old...approaching 40. He puts out decent material and the stuff still hits the charts.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
we gotta take it back\
to when vice
limp bizkit
blink 182
ruled the charts
back then they knew what real music was.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
The music industry is so diluted that the era of the superstar is over. Too many choices, too many outlets, and since people don't need record companies to distribute music anymore, mega talent gets diluted by all the crap out there.

yeah, I nearly sh!t myself when they said Pheonix and Vampire Week are the next big things in rock. Also, WTF is what this MGNT band....

Everything put out today seems to be geared towards hipsters.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
yeah, I nearly sh!t myself when they said Pheonix and Vampire Week are the next big things in rock. Also, WTF is what this MGNT band....

Everything put out today seems to be geared towards hipsters.

I think hipsters have the greatest amount of disposable income, and have the greatest time to use and recommend stuff.

Pretty sure they are a formidable percentage of bloggers, too.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Links to alleged charts? The 60s/70s/80s were chock full of bubblegum. The thing is, much of it is forgetable....and is thus forgotten.

I love Yanni.

My favorite composer of all time, no joke.
Love the singers in "Voices", especially Leslie Mills. Mmm.

Yanni is a hack....he can't even read music!

Tesh > Yanni!

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
U2, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, ACDC and Dave Mathews were among the top ten grossing Concerts tours of 2009. While they may not be topping the charts they are doing well were it really counts, making money for themselves not the Recording Industry
Definitely can agree on that one. That's where my money goes. The new stuff is all crap. Am I old enough to sound so bitter?

My concerts for this year:

Eagles
ZZ Top
Tom Petty

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

I came in here to post this, David Gray's music is amazing.

Agreed. Absolutely incredible.

AC/DC... great guys.
Some time ago I saw an interview with Angus Young... he said:
"I'm sick and tired of people who keep saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same!
We've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same!"

I love it when musicians don't take themselves too seriously. I can't stand those faux-artistic musicians, who blow a lot of hot air about how their latest album has such-and-such philosophy behind it, what the greater concept of it all is, and how they are trying to do something new musically, and change the world and all that... blahblahblah.
Especially since most of the time their stuff is just a bunch of pretentious junk that's no good :)

Saw them in concert about a year ago and they were incredible! I thought Angus was going to have a stroke on the stage, it's crazy amounts of energy.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I think it has more to do with the demographic of age groups of its time. The baby boom resulted in a lot of people being a lot older on average before the 90's. Now that they're old and retired, the average age has "normalized" and resulted in a more average younger audience and talent. That's my take on it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you go back 30 years and looked at the music charts, you noticed one thing compared to today, you saw more older musicians or at least more musicians who projected an older image.

Starting in the 90s, the only people topping the charts were people in the late teens or early 20s, or people who dressed and acted like they were in their late teens and early 20s.

I look back 30 years ago and you saw those like Billy Joel, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, and even many younger people in music who didn't look or sing like a teenager. Sure there were exceptions, but I'm just saying there was no shortage of maturity in music 30 years ago.

IMO Springsteen is still quite relavant and puts out top notch music. Dylan isn't the guy he was but he does great stuff still. There are a lot of older musicians who are releasing great music. It's the media that glorifies youth [i.e. being a teenager]. It's been going on for decades. Seems to be getting worse, as you observe.
This is an odd topic. My complaint about rock radio is that it is clogged with oldies stations with little room for new music. Hip hop/trance/dance stations are better about playing new stuff.
You're listening to the wrong stations. Try non-commercial radio, especially college radio. It varies but it can be fantastically good. The DJ's usually have a lot of freedom, aren't beholden to anybody. They aren't paid, they just do it for the love of it. You can get most if not all of the best stations on the internet, streaming. Or if you're lucky, you have some good ones locally off the air.

Last edited: