Why are the top crime ridden cities in the US Democrat run?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
I have to kick the ball into my own net because you’re too busy cheerleading for yourself instead of taking the field. There are plenty of articles that explain why the TVA ultimately failed. If anything, its a warning for how big government intervention can undermine economic growth because it creates dependency instead of capability, and reliance on government planners to build economic resiliency, when that is best left to entrepreneurs. The ingredients were in place, but ingredients alone don’t make a cake...yet you can’t make a cake without those ingredients. Hence my reference to coastal CT, ingredients in place, no cake. It doesn’t contradict my argument to identify regions that have the ingredients but didn’t achieve economic resiliency to easily attributable and well documented factors.

There are also plenty of articles that explain how scientists that helped with radio and nuclear weapon projects during WW2 migrated to Stanford and other places In NorCal, and replicated the public/private model that successfully won WW2 and fueled the technology revolution of Silicon Valley. Where do you think the inspiration for the character Howard Stark came from? Hughes and Boeing were the Musk, Bezos and Jobs of their day. How would the economic landscape of America be different if those brilliant minds, with the infrastructure behind them and the knowledge to attract federal defense dollars, landed at Duke or in Chicago or Michigan instead of Stanford?

Essentially, my argument aligns to what President Obama once stated, “you didn’t build that”
Starbuck1975 said:
Blue states are in an advantageous GDP financial situations largely due to geography and the infrastructure investments made during and after WW2.

This is hilarious. You've fully rejected your claim. Factors beyond geography and the infrastructure investments matter, and in fact, trump the influence of your two hypothesized reasons, as you call them "easily attributable and well documented factors." Perhaps you want to go back and edit your post since you've completely abandoned the your statement and include you now believe that "easily attributable and well documented factors" also matter.

And now you want to hypothesize how scientists selected locations determined what locations became economic powerhouses. If that mattered so much and is so important, why isn't that included in your false claim that "Blue states are in an advantageous GDP financial situations largely due to geography and the infrastructure investments made during and after WW2?"

Talk about two own-goals, and after the second one, you decided to run into the goalpost and knock yourself. Good to see how the TVA is the exact example why your claim suddenly evaporates.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is hilarious. You've fully rejected your claim. Factors beyond geography and the infrastructure investments matter, and in fact, trump the influence of your two hypothesized reasons, as you call them "easily attributable and well documented factors." Perhaps you want to go back and edit your post since you've completely abandoned the your statement and include you now believe that "easily attributable and well documented factors" also matter.

And now you want to hypothesize how scientists selected locations determined what locations became economic powerhouses. If that mattered so much and is so important, why isn't that included in your false claim that "Blue states are in an advantageous GDP financial situations largely due to geography and the infrastructure investments made during and after WW2?"

Talk about two own-goals, and after the second one, you decided to run into the goalpost and knock yourself. Good to see how the TVA is the exact example why your claim suddenly evaporates.
I already refuted this

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
I already refuted this
Yes exactly, you've refuted your own statement. You claimed that "Blue states are in an advantageous GDP financial situations largely due to geography and the infrastructure investments made during and after WW2."

Now other factors are as important, if not even more important. I'm not the one pontificating about the role where scientists settle. You did.

But we all are quite aware of how you like to carry water for intellectually dishonest claims.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There are also plenty of articles that explain how scientists that helped with radio and nuclear weapon projects during WW2 migrated to Stanford and other places In NorCal, and replicated the public/private model that successfully won WW2 and fueled the technology revolution of Silicon Valley. Where do you think the inspiration for the character Howard Stark came from? Hughes and Boeing were the Musk, Bezos and Jobs of their day. How would the economic landscape of America be different if those brilliant minds, with the infrastructure behind them and the knowledge to attract federal defense dollars, landed at Duke or in Chicago or Michigan instead of Stanford?

Wait do you think Hughes went to...Stanford?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Wait do you think Hughes went to...Stanford?
No, he went to Caltech, which is why the aerospace empire he built was more anchored to Los Angeles. I mentioned Hughes only because his playboy person was more the inspiration for Howard Stark.

Stanford academics worked in the Harvard Radio Research Laboratory, most notably William Shockley, who relocated from NJ to Palo Alto...imagine if Shockley Semiconductor was founded in Newark instead of Palo Alto. Frederick Terman also played a huge role, focusing Stanford on partnerships with industry and entrepreneurship, but the foundation of that idea was entirely built from WW2 defense spending, which radically accelerated and transformed the US economy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
No, he went to Caltech, which is why the aerospace empire he built was more anchored to Los Angeles. I mentioned Hughes only because his playboy person was more the inspiration for Howard Stark.

Stanford academics worked in the Harvard Radio Research Laboratory, most notably William Shockley, who relocated from NJ to Palo Alto...imagine if Shockley Semiconductor was founded in Newark instead of Palo Alto. Frederick Terman also played a huge role, focusing Stanford on partnerships with industry and entrepreneurship, but the foundation of that idea was entirely built from WW2 defense spending, which radically accelerated and transformed the US economy.

His strong attraction to the film industry is more responsible for his gravitation to southern California. I just don't know what he's doing in an argument about Standford's importance to Northern California.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
His strong attraction to the film industry is more responsible for his gravitation to southern California. I just don't know what he's doing in an argument about Standford's importance to Northern California.
Gotcha. I made a general comment about CA as the GDP behemoth, and the aerospace industry of SoCal is as much a part of that story as Silicon Valley is to the north. Also, I just find Howard Hughes, and all the technologist and industrialist geniuses of the WW2 era, as incredibly fascinating, and the important role they played in winning the war, to include the many refugee scientists who fled to America during and immediately after WW2.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Gotcha. I made a general comment about CA as the GDP behemoth, and the aerospace industry of SoCal is as much a part of that story as Silicon Valley is to the north. Also, I just find Howard Hughes, and all the technologist and industrialist geniuses of the WW2 era, as incredibly fascinating, and the important role they played in winning the war, to include the many refugee scientists who fled to America during and immediately after WW2.

I think it's fair to say that different places had different paths to become the economic powerhouses we have today. I generally would not equate the rise of California with say New York or Philadelphia in terms of historical trajectories.

Also that last bit involved no small number of German scientists that we um invited after the fall of the Nazi regime.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

You have this wrong. Shockley was from California and moved to NJ to work for Bell Labs. This is however a pointless discussion because Silicon Valley is what it is today because of visionaries like Leonard Bosack, Sandy Lerner, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Jensen Huang, Steven Jobs, etc.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yes, Stanford and Berkeley are part of the story. Stanford is a private university. The University of California system houses several federal laboratories. Both have benefitted handsomely from federal defense and aerospace investments. Silicon Valley was built on federal dollars.
YET your hero Mitch McConnell `s state is so fucked up it is just amazing all!!

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
In modern times, Republicans being tied to GOP doctrine are a tough sell in cities with diverse infrastructure and demographics.
How are you going to run a city when your doctrine centers around the marginalization and demonization of minorities, controlling women and that government should not be providing services to citizens?