Why are the democrats still hand-counting ballots?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Bryan
Unlike Russ,I have a TV here in my office and it has been tuned to one of three news channels since the 7 th as long as I was here to watch it. On the day the dems asked for and recieved the clearance to do the manual count, the republicans where asked which counties they wanted to have counted and they declined any. They had thier chance. If you want to fault dems for being smart enough to ask for recounts in the precincts that where under suspecion of having annomilies that needed redress, than so be it.Republicans had equal opputunity to have precincts hand counted,but since that is more accurate than machine and would potentially reveal more votes for Gore,I presume that is why they declined and chose instead to try and block this effort with lawsuit after lawsuit.

Surely you can see that everything that conservitives hate about liberals is exactly what the Republicans are doing. They called in the lawyers first,they tried to circumvent the will of the people,they where(are) banking on Harris(an oppritive of GW and Jeb and the GOP)to cerify before the votes are counted and trying to disallow the recount in PB, M/D and Broward counties. Thats shennanigans in my book and most who see whats going on. We have all seen the frivilous lawsuit inBroward brought on by the republicans.What a joke. I can't figure how they think people are so dumb as to believe they even have an argument!

This is the best drama of the year. This beats sopranos,(which I miss alot)!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Until the Supreme Court rules on the SoS rights and authority, anything can happen.

Manual recounts are accepted all the time, but it is the certified results that count. The Florida Supreme Court's problem is taking until next Monday to hear arguments. I still think that this is a stalling tactic to change the way they would have to rule.

The Republicans have to massively slow down the counting if they plan on doing anything. Challenge every ballot. Insist on recount after recount.

All in all, I feel both sides are following the law and in the end we will have a legal winner.

Michael

Bryan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Unlike Russ,I have a TV here in my office and it has been tuned to one of three news channels since the 7 th as long as I was here to watch it >>

See? See?! Damn lazy Democrats! ;) J/K :D

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Oh,I forgot to mention,It was just announced New Mexico goes to Gore with all of its 5 electoral votes.

Now to see what Oregon does.
;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Michael:

That won't do any good. It looks like all those vaunted military ballots didn't materialize. I'm surprised Bush's count is so low still. If he doesn't hit 1500 at least he's dead. I guessed about 800 earlier, but it is now looking closer to 600. By Monday, Bush may have to concede. (uh, yeah, right, like I'll be holding my breath for that speech)

I DO believe we are getting close to WHOOP *SS time. :p

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
TripleShot:

Bush won't contest Oregon. He lost it. They're just posturing.

Notice Bush hasn't caught Gore in the popular vote as well.

Isn't Russ in Oregon? Oh, the pain! :p :p :p

Oops, my bad, he's in Washington. Er, uhm, but isn't that worse? :p

wj

Oct 9, 1999
It could be like this: One vote for Bush/ Two vote Gore. Two vote Bush
Three vote for Gore. Add up after a while.

wj :cool:

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
chess9,

Don't you remember that the men and women of the Cole didn't even get their ballots? How convienient.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
PG:

Not getting their ballots was the least of their problems of course. That is most unfortunate, but hardly determinative of this election. Apparently, Bush did not impress that many military people. I'll bet a lot of them didn't vote, just like the rest of the population. Why did he lose so much of his constituency? Probably for the same reason Gore lost so many votes to Nader. Neither candidate is anything exceptional.

If Bush loses, it will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Oh, and having your shipped bombed and not getting your ballot is hardly convenient. You aren't blaming Clinton/Gore for that are you? I know, they should have fueled up in Rio. Good grief, do you guys have no shame?

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It is being reported that the Dem's are contesting most of the absentee ballots as they are presented for counting, for whatever reason they can manage to suggest, and that is why so few are being counted on behalf of Bush.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
chess9 - You're assuming again. If you think that not having a real recount available when the case is argued in front of the Florida Supreme Court would not be important, then you're getting delusional.

You already tried the race card in this thread and I think that I proved that it was the Democrats that screwed themselves. It is a typical knee-jerk reaction of the left to claim racial prejudice at the very beginning of any discussion - for example, Jesse Jackson right after the election.

I do not doubt that isolated incidents occurred, but I severely doubt that it had any effect on the election.

I believe in rule by law and am perfectly willing to accept whatever ruling that eventually become the final one.

I think that those who whine about the &quot;Democrats&quot; in the Florida Supreme Court are forgetting that the people get to elect who appoints the Justices and that the Justices have to face election/votes of non-confidence as well.

You represent to worst of idealogy, someone you is closed to readon. You are as bad a bigot as those you rail against.

Note - I feel the same way about others who continually rail againts the &quot;left&quot; leaning positions.

I am a person with a left arm and a right arm who sincerly wishes that name calling and attempts to demonize the opposition will go away. Maybe I am naive, but I believe that the Florida Supreme Court will voice their honest opinion on what they feel the election laws and the Constitutionof the Florida say should be done. The eyes of the nation are on them and I would not want to be one of them right now.

Michael

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
EDITED to be more clear on what I was agreeing with.

<< I believe in rule by law and am perfectly willing to accept whatever ruling that eventually become the final one.

I think that those who whine about the &quot;Democrats&quot; in the Florida Supreme Court are forgetting that the people get to elect who appoints the Justices and that the Justices have to face election/votes of non-confidence as well.

I am a person with a left arm and a right arm who sincerly wishes that name calling and attempts to demonize the opposition will go away. Maybe I am naive, but I believe that the Florida Supreme Court will voice their honest opinion on what they feel the election laws and the Constitutionof the Florida say should be done. The eyes of the nation are on them and I would not want to be one of them right now.
>>

I sicerely hope you are right on this.

Gore is not stealing anything. He has requested legal hand counts in a few counties.

The election is not over. Any of several things could happen that would give Bush Florida.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Michael:

Sorry, but I disagree with Ride. Your last post is a dreadfully banal and stupid post. I pass without further comment all the typos which make some of your sentences incomprehensible.

Aren't you the one who thinks Harris should disobey the Florida Supreme Court? And you support the rule of law?

I didn't concede anything in the Duval County matter except the possibility that the Dems may have contributed to the problem. I have no doubts racism is alive and well in Daval County and played some part in the counting of votes. I'm just not interested in finding the African Americans' response to your link in order to rebut it. I live here. We have a lot of rednecks in Florida and a lot of very conservative people, some whom think women shouldn't vote, by way of example.

Grow up and quit whining.

We don't all want to be like you. To the contrary.

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
How can you identify an honest Democrat ?

The date on his tombstone matches his death certificate...

course he still gets to vote, as a reward for being honest.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
chess9 - hmmm, maybe I should start paying much more attention to your posts. If you agree with me, I might have a problem.

I think that there is a system of checks and balances between the three forms of government. I think that it is permissible to ignore a court ruling. To do so risks the charge of &quot;contempt of court&quot;, but there may be times when disobeying an order is the only moral thing to do. Obviously, Ms. Harris is willing to abide by the Florida Supreme Court's opinion.

I personally think that the Florida Supreme Court is the body to decide if Ms. Harris is interpreting the statutes correctly when she is carrying out her duties. The lower court ruling is moot, it is up to the Supreme Court now. The fact that they slapped the injunction down without being asked to probably shows what way they are leaning. However, they may just be trying to head off a confrontation this weekend and they may just be reminding everyone that they have appeals in front of them and no one should rush to action until they decide.

Michael

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< Sorry, but I disagree with Ride. >>

OOPS, sorry chess9.

I edited my post, because I wasn't clear at all on what I was agreeing with.

I try to stay out of these personal attacks, and just try to discuss the issues and facts.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
it is funny how the supreme court will work fast and hard to make sure someone cannot do their job, namely certifying the vote results, and if she did do her job she would be punished.

However nothing was done to a president who didn't give a rats ass about the office he held, cared more about getting a beloved patriot while discussing foreign affairs, and had more scandals than michael jackson

:)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Michael:

If you live by shibboleths like &quot;the rule of law&quot;, don't suggest someone violate a Supreme Court order. Now you are just backing and filling. Of course people sometimes should break the law. Did you all of sudden become a convert to non-violent disobedience? I didn't think so. This is about the laws you want to obey.

As I said in an earlier post, Republicans don't understand hypocrisy. But you have lots of company.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
chess9 - I would submitt that the Supreme Court can violate the law. The conditions for not obeying a court order would have to be pretty severe and the person doing so would have to be willing to accept the consequences of their actions. There is no conflict in having that view and believing in the rule of law.

I can't be a &quot;Republican&quot;, unless they're now registering non-citizens. I can say that I have literally voted Liberal in my life, so again, you're making incorrect assumptions about my background and what political party I would support.

Michael

note to self - do not post late at night after drinking wine for dinner and early in the morning before having coffee ..

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
If the Dems steal this election, then it will be a sad day for America. To me, it is a crossing in the spiritual realm ...that must be prevented by prayer. Outside of Gods intervention, I see Gore taking this.
Pray.
Neos

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Neos:

God's working on her golf game. She isn't interested in politics. Check back after the Masters'.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< If the Dems steal this election, then it will be a sad day for America. To me, it is a crossing in the spiritual realm ...that must be prevented by prayer. Outside of Gods intervention, I see Gore taking this >>

Steal? Come on. If the Democrats win the election, it will be because they won more electoral votes. (They have also won the popular vote, but that doesn't count.)

Gore hasn't won. He is behind by almost 1,000 votes now. He has to convince the Florida Supreme court to allow votes from the hand counts going on.

I pray that the person with the most votes will win Florida, whether it be Gore or Bush. I would hope that would be in your prayers too.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< &quot;The people who vote decide nothing. The people who count the vote decide everything.&quot;
- Josef Stalin.
>>

Russ' quote made me remember a perhaps, more well-known, and appropriate, one:

&quot;It aint' over 'til it's over.&quot;
- Yogi Berra