Why are the democrats still hand-counting ballots?

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Leon County Circuit Court Judge Terry Lewis ruled today that Harris' actions do not abuse her authority. >>

Harris will be certifying the results tomorrow, and the ballots will NOT be included. There is only one reason to continue wasting time and money in the effort: POLITICS.

This is a transparent attempt to sabotage the process, place the outcome in doubt, and undermine Bush's Presidency. Will they stop at nothing?

Russ, NCNE

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
It is so they don't go blind usiong their hands for &quot;other&quot; things

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< This is a transparent attempt to sabotage the process, place the outcome in doubt, and undermine Bush's Presidency. Will they stop at nothing? >>

They're democrats, do you really need to ask?

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Russ,

In my opinion:

1) Because they are hoping the Florida Supreme Court steps in and overturns today's ruling.

2) As I posted in the other thread, apparently members of Congress are now circulating memos reminding each other that Congress can overturn/override Electoral College votes under certain conditions, that may include fraud and irregularities. Perhaps it is thought that an unofficial manual recount will be &quot;evidence&quot;? If this is so, this election won't even be over AFTER the Electoral votes are in.

and

3) This is a great opportunity to make the winner look like they won unfairly, thus tainting thier presidency...

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Optimus,

Your number 3 is the real reason. Where's the other thread?

Russ, NCNE

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Hey Red, how about this theory. The Republicans nominated Bushlite so they would have a Puppet in office that they could control.

any merit to that theory? (that is my wife's theory anyway)

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< Why are the democrats still hand-counting ballots? >>

Russ,

You know why....no matter WHICH way the judge ruled today, his decision will get appealed to Florida Supreme Court.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah,

I saw something about some Republicans looking into this also.

I'll post if I find it.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< his decision will get appealed to Florida Supreme Court. >>

ride525,

Unless it gets to them by Noon tomorrow, it is highly unlikely that they will even here it. So, will the democrats still be counting on Sunday?

Red,

Thank you for your factual, logical and measured contribution to this discussion.

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Optimus,

Wasn't inferring that. I just though I'd missed a good discussion somewhere.:)

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
HMM...a friend of mine just sent me an interesting quote:

&quot;The people who vote decide nothing. The people who count the vote decide everything.&quot;
- Josef Stalin.

Russ, NCNE

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
awwww Russ don't be so hard on 'em. They are a little slow...

These are the same Dems that requested a filing extension from the Fl SOS &amp; &quot;forgot&quot; to say why they needed extra time.

Not one county requesting an extension of time said that they had used due diligence in meeting the deadline &amp; had failed.

Note: one county noted a possible problem &amp; did a manual recount, Polk, &amp; got their results in on time. They worked their butts off.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
red has a good point. Really now, whoever wins is going to have half the nation not pissed at just losing, but really pissed because of how close it was and either side will then be able to come up with any number of quite reasonable reasons why its all a major buggar-up.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<<Why are the democrats still hand-counting ballots?>>

Because they have enough brain power to count. :p :)

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Skoorb,

Red doesn't have any point. That was a patented &quot;Red stirring the pot post&quot;. You really need to learn to discern the difference.

Russ, NCNE

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Because they have enough brain power to count. >>

Assuming this is true, that means then that counting takes less cognitive skill than punching the correct candidate on a ballot, because the Democrats were apparently incapable of that. ;)

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
Look republican crybabies, Bush did not win!
Network TV does not determine the winner in elections.
Anyone who thought that either party was going to sit back and say &quot;oh gosh we lost Florida by 300 votes, so it's over&quot;, is delusional.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Russ,

This just pulled from CNN. I'd need more facts, but here it is so far.

<< Despite the focus on midnight as the deadline for overseas absentee ballots to be counted, Florida law actually gives counties another week, until November 24, to submit their tallies. Nevertheless, the Florida secretary of state's office has been pressuring counties to respond sooner, not later. If any county chooses to stick to the legal deadline, the nation will have to wait before the state can issue a final vote certification. >>

And..... I would think the Democrats would ask the Florida Supreme Court to stop any Florida State election final certification until all the legal matters get sorted out.

And....I just saw another story that a suit was filed trying to get 4,700 absentee ballots (apparently NOT the overseas ones) invalidated for some reason that I don't know yet.

And......

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ride525,

Yeah, I was reading up on that a few days ago. I found it more than a little surprising that it takes only a simple majority. I would have thought a 2/3's majority would be appropriate for an issue of this magnitude.

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ride525,

I find it rather hard to believe that suddenly a completely contrary statute has emerged without ANY whisper of it's existence prior to this. Sounds like CNN rushing to scoop the other networks before fully investigating.

Russ, NCNE

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< I would have thought a 2/3's majority would be appropriate for an issue of this magnitude. >>

I'd agree. This is as important as an impeachment.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< Sounds like CNN rushing to scoop the other networks before fully investigating. >>

I'd agree again...(AWWWWW this is scarey, too much Russ agreement for one day).....that's why I wrote &quot;I'd need more facts&quot;.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Red - quick side question, other than disliking Dubya, I have for some reason always thought of you as more Republican than Democrat? (I'm honestly just asking out out of curiosity)

I was cheesed when Dubya won the nomination over McCain, personally.